too easy??

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by TheOgre, Jan 30, 2009.

1. TheOgre

TheOgre Chieftain

i thought bout sitting civ4 aside for a bit and reverting to civ3, mainly because its modern era is much better. nuclear sabotage, ecoterrorists etc..

but i have a problem. i quit civ3 because i was unable to lose. even on sid mode, unless i was just not trying, i always auto-won. no i didnt use the worker/add to city/settler exploit and RARELY used the war from open borders. i also didnt use the ICS unless the AI made me, in which most of the cities would be destroyed later for more specialized tile-working.

i didnt find it fun, and the only reason i saw the late game was because i chose NOT to win earlier. so here is my question.

Has any official patch made it harder? i am thinking about HOF and GOTM. is there something to challenge myself with or should i just work on climbing to immortal in civ4?

civ3 feels a lot easier. civ4 feels a lot harder.

thoughts??

2. awesomeSoI

awesomeSoI Chieftain

there's something wrong with you if you can play sid without using your brain. nobody is that good.

3. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Any mods? Anything changed to make it easier?

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Could it be that you mix up Civ 3 with CTP and your comment about Sid level is a fake? If I understand your post correctly, you say ecoterrorists are in the modern era of an unmodded Civ 3.

Please explain where in your eyes is an ecoterrorist in an unmodded Civ 3?

5. TheOgre

TheOgre Chieftain

i have the complete edition. ecoterrorist was in ctp? i swear it was civ3 expansion. i uninstalled when i got civ4 and didnt think about it again until a few days ago.

i dont play mods - but might try rhyse of civilization.

and no, my comment on sid is NOT fake, desu.

perhaps i use SOME of my brain, but it was more like rhetoric than anything else and i never had problems. i also never patched civ3 when i played it, so maybe its harder for YOU to a fix on AI stupidity or something?

Awesome - welcome to the forums. now, read up and learn the trix, it isnt really that hard. start with an ICS, placing cities in positions you can demolish later for a more sensible empire. war any AI with exposed workers to punish them and expose their stupidity. once you conquer 2 neighbors, you shouldnt lose to anything except bad diplo. and ALWAYS gank the first 2 with the open borders trick, Desu.

6. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

Perhaps you could try a variant like 5CC conquest on sid? :lol:

7. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Open borders trick?

Also, can you break 90,000 points on Sid TheOgre? More interestingly, you only mentioned conquering neighbors and such. So, what about *fast* spaceship/diplomatic/20k/100k games? Or a tundra start on Sid.

8. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

What is nuclear sabotage ?

9. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Can you make brief discription of how yor Sid games whent? We did 3 SG on Sid, but always some "trix" were used, like TGL capture...

10. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

As a struggling player, myself. I would love to see a save from one of these "auto-won" sid victories. I am hoping to possibly see what I am doing wrong or not doing at all.

11. vmxa

vmxa Deity Supporter

One save will do you no good. You would need turn by turn log with some info like an SG and a save every say 20 turns. This would let you evaluate what is being done.

12. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

Sid too easy? Are you perhaps an evil genius from a James Bond movie or Albert Einstein's secret lovechild? I think we'd all like to see how that is even possible. Play some games using HoF rules and get them submitted and we'll be believers of such a ludicrous, possibly insane comment. There are some very good players here that play at that level, and none of them give the slightest impression that Civ3 Sid level is easy. When I see proof, then I'll believe.

13. awesomeSoI

awesomeSoI Chieftain

I've actually had been playing Civ III PTW all the time 3 or 4 years ago. Just recently I decided to play again and visit civ fanatics. I only play on Regent though, and don't spend nearly enough time playing to do some serious learning and practice. But I'm no newb or noob to this game.

14. Whythat

Whythat Chieftain

I have the complete addition of Civ III and have never seen nuclear sabotage, ecoterrorists are these part of the basic game? How do you get them?

15. TheOgre

TheOgre Chieftain

good idea, i never tried inferior map starts, or other victory types.

i also never used civ3 HOF mod, whats different? now i need to find my install discs...

i also never played for points. when i know i will win, i just milk turns until its war time again - good idea, again.

lastly, tundra starts sound fun. i never played them, is there a way to guarentee tundra without giving the AI tundra?

if i can find my install discs, i will run a few test games, and post some game-logs. i dont remember how to get ecoterrorists - i deleted Civ3 when i installed civ4.

nuke sabotage is a spy planting a nuke in enemy city. the AIs will despise you, but if you hit their best city, who cares?

16. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

Welcome to CFC, TheOgre and awesomeSoI!

The HOF isn't a mod. It's a competition, and you can get more information in the Hall of Fame forum.

I don't recall ever seeing ecoterrorists in C3C and don't remember ever being able to use spies to plant nukes in enemy cities. Granted, I don't use espionage that much in my games, but I don't recall reading about anyone else doing that, either.

17. Jokeslayer

Jokeslayer Dedicated

I think I remember something a bit like that from civ2 but it's been a while

18. TheOverseer714

TheOverseer714 Overseer

I'm betting that we're talking Civ 2, because Spies could indeed plant nukes. Also, the eco terrorism could be the guerillas generated when capturing a city or the massive barbarian swarms late in the game. Either Civ 2 or a mod making Civ3 more like Civ 2.

19. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Partisans. And, yes, they do pillage everything in sight, unless you can immediately wipe them out.

20. Spoonwood

Spoonwood Grand Philosopher

Dead on. Not even Moonsinger's notes give that impression. Maybe you can have a single easy war at Sid, but the whole game? Maybe you can have a lucky 20k, diplomatic, or space game, but really... a string of them? Then again, there's Kronic's game... I believe you can do that fairly consistently on Deity if you want to, but on Sid? It's certainly not easy to do research at Sid.