Too much Happy do to religion...

Ok so I just tested out my second game, Byzantine on king. i won with 91 happy this time. I also noticed that i had a much harder time getting happy early, it was a problem until about the renaissance era, maybe. Then after I conquered Hiawatha who was building the other half of the wonders to my own, i had a ton of happy... While on prince, i had built almost all of them myself. So it might not be so bad, it does limit eary just fine.

I also learned that the AI is smarter then we all think. I had a spy in Hiawatha'a capital and saw that he had GE the taj mahal. but no one else had researched it yet, i got the tech a few turns after. He then instead of finishing the TM he started another cheaper wonder. In order to beat me to that one (i am forgetting the wonder right now). After he beat me to that one, he went on to take his TM... I thought it seemed weird, but it makes sense. the espionage may be underwhelming, but i managed to beat him to a few wonders after that because i saw what he was doing.

We'll never know if this is the case, but it would be cool if he did that specifically because he had a spy in your city :)

But not to be OT, I'm not too great at Civ V still, and I am rolling in happiness. I am actually making fair use of that piety SP that converts half of extra happiness to culture, for once.

I had happiness problems in Vanilla, now I have zero problems. Religion seems to be the reason it's better, not sure...

I agree with Uncle Joe. People will be thinking: Golden ages or more cities? (more than in vanilla civ5 anyway). I'm only a King level player though...

I agree with Uncle Joe. People will be thinking: Golden ages or more cities? (more than in vanilla civ5 anyway). I'm only a King level player though...

Yeah. I don't think shortage of happiness should be some kind of a primary value. Excess happiness only turns to be bad if it drives you to some repetitive playing style (namely ICS). If there's some other mechanism that prevents city spamming from being the best strategy, then there is probably nothing wrong with a large amount of happiness.

I think we're going about this the wrong way. We should deal with excess happiness like Starcraft II deals with excess minerals/gas: Build more stuff. Build cities, sell luxuries, grow tall. If you have the happiness, use it!

I got 215 faith and it isn't spawning a great prophet how do i spawn it three other unknown nations spawned religions already but it says i still only a minimum of 200 faith

There's a maximum number of religions that can be spawned per game, and it is much less than the number of civs on the map. Once that number reaches the limit, no more religions can be founded.

I really hope no one will make patches based on this since that picture has nothing to do with a regular game.

As Austria I had close to 300 happiness as well thanks to religion but I also had close to 300 unhappiness from all the cities and population.

I finally finished my first emp/large/epic game. My random start was France, and I ended up going wide and conquering Arabia and much of Greece and Russia just to keep them off my back. I had plenty of happiness, as I controlled every bit of silver so traded for pretty much every other resource, but had only 4 golden ages when all was said and done. Normally, I'd have at least 6 or 7 from spending generals and the occasional artist. Happiness was never below 30 or so, even with leaving cities puppeted. I'm not sure if it's a problem.

I played a bit more into my first game till about the 1700's (King Level). I'm actually kind of bored. My happiness is in the 60s, I make 150+ gpt, and I'm number 1 in every category that matters. To put it in perspective, I dont play all that often anymore so King level used to be fairly competitive for me. I've had a few games where I just take off and win with no competition, but on the other hand I've had plenty where I just dont get off the ground in time...

Anyways, I'm just not feeling any sort of pressure at this point in the game so the decisions are pretty meaningless. I have plenty of everything so when new buildings come available, it's just "meh". Even my relations with CS's dont really matter since I dont need their resources and it's really just a matter of if I want to spend my time giving them money (I have 1000's). I have been attacked twice, but neither attack amounted to much and when the enemies conceded they gave me a lot of stuff. I never even bothered to counter attack and take cities since I have no need for more of anything.

I have to say that I'm not over impressed based on this one game. I'll start another game soon (not even going to bother finishing this one since turn times are longer) and see if it's just a fluke game, but judging from what I've seen here, that doesnt appear to be the case.

CiV is not for everybody. GnK is probably not going to be for everybody either. What I don't understand, is why poor poor people who don't like it, torture themselves playing it? For the life in me I never could understand that? :confused:

I think this is a wonderful dynamic. You get to choose how you "use" your happiness, instead of it being a factor that makes building restrictive and unfun.

Golden ages are very nice now too, I've been running a tall empire that has been able to string many golden ages along together. I got so used to the bonus that it was a bit of a shock when it was gone.

Ok so I just tested out my second game, Byzantine on king. i won with 91 happy this time. I also noticed that i had a much harder time getting happy early, it was a problem until about the renaissance era, maybe. Then after I conquered Hiawatha who was building the other half of the wonders to my own, i had a ton of happy... While on prince, i had built almost all of them myself. So it might not be so bad, it does limit eary just fine.

I also learned that the AI is smarter then we all think. I had a spy in Hiawatha'a capital and saw that he had GE the taj mahal. but no one else had researched it yet, i got the tech a few turns after. He then instead of finishing the TM he started another cheaper wonder. In order to beat me to that one (i am forgetting the wonder right now). After he beat me to that one, he went on to take his TM... I thought it seemed weird, but it makes sense. the espionage may be underwhelming, but i managed to beat him to a few wonders after that because i saw what he was doing.
Makes total sense why I've missed out on wonders by 1-3 turns. Argh 1 turn is always so infuriating. Its ok cause once I hit the atomic age I'll unleash my anger on them with NUKES!

I think we're going about this the wrong way. We should deal with excess happiness like Starcraft II deals with excess minerals/gas: Build more stuff. Build cities, sell luxuries, grow tall. If you have the happiness, use it!

Yeah but if we have so much excess happy, doesn't the AI too? Would you rather not be able to sell because they already have plenty happy, or the AI to be dumb enough to give you their gold so they can go from 60 to 64 happiness? Neither one of these is appetizing.

In fact, I'm a bit afraid that the bigger problem from this will be that not only do we not have excess happiness, but so does the AI and it doesn't know how to deal with it. Some people have said the game is easier, I'm finding it WAY easier (at Prince/King level, so I'll move up soon once I have mechanics down). I wonder if it's because the A.I. hasn't been brought up to speed on the potentials of the new high happiness economy. I can only hope this isn't true or will be investigated and patched.

I agree that the game is much easier. On Prince, playing a totally haphazard 'strategy' I pretty quickly hit the point of toying with the AI. Didn't really matter what I did. On the other hand, Deity is still damn near impossible unless you run a perfect strat from right out of the gate, so it's probably fine, I'll just be stepping my difficulty up by one. King for screw around games, Emperor/Immortal for games where I don't want to have to be laser focused but want a challenge and of course Deity for the true challenge.

Oh, the other thing I'm noticing is that all the late-in-the-tree civics that relate to happiness seem pretty valueless right now. I'm thinking of any of the bottom four civics. Whereas before, when you were struggling with happiness, they seemed like life-savers.

I'm on turn 325 with 108 happiness for culture win (hopefully) and I just don't give a damn about the Commerce or Freedom happiness bonuses. (playing Celts).

I keep forgetting how lame that feeling is in Civ V when playing to cultural victory and you're stuck taking policies that are valueless because you want the whole tree. I guess that's a hard design element to avoid when designing the policy trees to be useful for those not seeking culture victory though.

I'm curious...specifically which beliefs or policies are providing too much happy?

I wouldn't mind having that problem

Actually, in my games I find it plays out that in Ancient - Medieval happiness is a commodity you have to put a lot of effort into maintaining. Then during the Renaissance period my happiness takes off like a shot - opening up the opportunity to either work towards a string of Golden Ages with massive increases in Culture, Production, and Gold or to begin rapid expansion again. Classical Era REX seems prohibitive but by the Renaissance period happiness has opened up to the point where you can begin what very much resembles a Colonial Era or wage a massive war and appropriate a significant number of large cities from your neighbors (a Napoleonic Era, perhaps?).

- Marty Lund

The intent seems to be to replicate the struggles of the ancient eras, to finally taking off with filling up the spaces and getting massive hotbeds of conflict in the latter eras - particularly Industrial/Modern.

In light of that, it makes sense for the devs to give out so much happiness that only take off as the game progresses deeper.

Top Bottom