Too Much Speed

GRAEMIKE

Chieftain
I have played this game off/on for a few years but have not yet mastered the speed of messages. I see a quick flash message about a bombing, don't even see the attack on paratroops, spot the words civil disorder, sometimes read about something being destroyed, but the computer msg speed is way to fast to read or see what is happening. I don't want to animate everything, so is there someplace I haven't spotted yet to adjust the in between turn msgs of events??? At the later stages of the game there are so many things going on in the world, after a couple of continent jumps and messages flashing, I feel like this :crazyeye: Any help??

Mike

Use a utility program like Civ Assist II to help you.

Thanx, I just downloaded it. Now how do I apply it? When I clicked on download it asked if I wanted to save the file and I said yes and now I have it downloaded. So now what???

Should come as an installer package (CivAssist_II_Setup.msi). Double click to open it,
and I let it install in the default location.

You should then have an entry in your launch menu -- launch the program before starting your Civ III session. It will communicate with the active game, and let you see many aspects of the game in one convenient set of screens. To your original question, there is a screen called "alerts" which will show you several important conditions -- cities about to riot, deals about to expire, cities about to starve, and so on.

You can also fire up the utility without the game running, and load one of your save files to analyze it offline. See the potential effect of switching governments, or look at the flip risk for recently conquered cities.

Thanks Vorlon, works just fine. I will wait 'n see about keeping this download, how much it helps me remains to be seen.
A problem that remains is how fast an attack happens to my units, and the report of it. For example, sending a settler with a spearman and warrior into the wild with 6 or 7 turns to get there, and as the turn for movement happens, there is a quick flash of a message (but too fast to read), and then the screen jumps to another spot/action. I do not have animate anything on, as it all takes time, but even if I animate mine and enemies movements, this stuff happens so fast one doesn't know what is/has happened. Sometimes it is two/three turns before I know I lost something, like that settler. Is there any way to slow down those messages? Its really annoying when you are battling in different spots in the world and these things happen so fast you can't tell what happened except by deduction. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try animating battles rather than movement.

CivAssist 2 or CRp MapStat will help with the city alerts.

Otherwise, find a slower computer to play on. ;)

Try animating battles rather than movement.
CivAssist 2 or CRp MapStat will help with the city alerts.
Otherwise, find a slower computer to play on. ;)

Good option - but I would change that once I get into the modern era when you're using bigger stacks for combat.

Am trying CivAssist 2, but I do use F-1 a lot and watch my cities to maximize growth and production.

NYET!! I'll pass on that one, but thanx for the thought :lol:

Thanks Vorlon, works just fine. I will wait 'n see about keeping this download, how much it helps me remains to be seen.
A problem that remains is how fast an attack happens to my units, and the report of it. For example, sending a settler with a spearman and warrior into the wild with 6 or 7 turns to get there, and as the turn for movement happens, there is a quick flash of a message (but too fast to read), and then the screen jumps to another spot/action.
Anyone have any suggestions?

OK, a couple of possibilities here ...
1) It's early in the game, and your cities haven't had a culture pop to fill in the gaps. The AI spearman+settler pair is moving "near" your cities to get to an open spot. That's tricky ... make sure you have to click/hit enter to end your turn, and scroll the screen around to see all your territory.
2)a) It's late ancient age or middle ages, and you have an ROP with the AI. The spearman+settler is crossing your lands to get to an open spot. Not sure if CivAssist II will flag this as an alert, because you have an ROP.
2)b) Same as 2a, but no ROP. CivAssist II has an alert for "enemy troops in your territory", and the spearman would count as an enemy.

Bottom line: be sure that you have that box checked on the alert screen for CivAssistII, and be sure that you're comfortable with your view of your territory before hitting Enter or spacebar to end your turn.

Top Bottom