Too rich to jail

It seems you should at least privatize the prosecutor's office so it doesn't keep getting outlawyered by private sector defense attorneys.

As for judges, in this area, if the voters choose wrongly (by selecting the wrong "Republican" in the primary), the DA will just indict them for something:

Much of the lack of faith in the conviction also comes from the political overtones in this case. An ousted republican incumbent judge, upset at a perceived Democratic challenger that smelled of “RINO.” (Republican In Name Only). She was referred by the ousted judge as “active in the Democratic party.”

So here we have it, an AG working for the Republican elected AG’s office, prosecuting a perceived Democrat. If the undertones weren’t enough, during the trial the prosecution politics a focal point of their case. Questions were asked of how many Republic events Judge Wooten attended before running. Not exactly subtle.

It had always been a joke that its illegal to be a Democrat in Collin County. Unfortunately this trial brings the joke into possible reality.
http://www.baumbach.org/b2evolution/blogs/index.php/2011/11/25/fdwiil_innocence_lost

The entire content of the link is worthy of a read.

I wonder if the parents can claim the same defense if they're prosecuted, that they had a case of Affluenza from birth, or acquired it in the process of using their wealth.

This would only be OK if poor kids who murdered people got the same lavish resort treatment. Cause that's where he's being paroled. A luxury resort with MMA, horseback riding, and other fun times at a paradise in California.

Oh wait that's right, the same piece of crap judge sentenced a black kid a way harsher penalty for punching someone in the back of the head, which resulted in that person's inadvertent death when they hit their head on the stairs.

This is texas, where they give out death penalties like candy. Yet the judge went with a touchy feely liberal "rehab this horrible piece of crap" sentencing. I mean you know its bad when even liberals AND conservatives are raging about what a travesty of justice this is. You'd think liberals would be all about kumbaya lets rehab terrible trash, and conservatives would be all about "rich people are awesome!", but nope, its heartwarming to see them come together in their hatred of this vile piece of filth.

Dude, that link merits its own thread :lol:

I'm on page 2, but I really need to be finishing up some projects before going home today!

This right here is the failure of democracy when voters are uninformed. It extends beyond voting for judges, I'd say it goes for almost every vote.

How many people are aware of the issues and the positions that all candidates hold regardless of party affiliation? Most get influenced by some catchy slogan or adept negative advertising.

If you had to do something to earn the right to vote I think it would be better. Serve a term in the military or something. Or maybe you have to take a test and show that you are informed enough to make a decision and vote.

I am just as guilty when it comes to voting for judges, I did not have a clue one way or the other and so I skipped them.

Every reduction in who is eligible to vote will cause the quality of the vote results to decline.

This would only be OK if poor kids who murdered people got the same lavish resort treatment. Cause that's where he's being paroled. A luxury resort with MMA, horseback riding, and other fun times at a paradise in California.

Oh wait that's right, the same piece of crap judge sentenced a black kid a way harsher penalty for punching someone in the back of the head, which resulted in that person's inadvertent death when they hit their head on the stairs.
Oh, so you watch CNN for your news?

Every reduction in who is eligible to vote will cause the quality of the vote results to decline.

Considering the quality of the politicians that win elections I am not sure the quality of the vote has much room to fall. I think we are pretty much at rock bottom but I suppose it could always get worse.

I think that what he is trying to say is that the Judge does not know the difference between a drunk driving a vehicle that caused man-slaughter and a person who punches another person so hard they hit their head in just the right way that they die.

no, for news i stick with just the daily show and colbert report, but they haven't covered this yet. bottom line, poor people cannot use the excuse that they were too poor to be able to learn right from wrong. but rich people can. actually, given how many bankers were "too big to jail" (HSBC money laundering to terrorists for example and another one who killed a dude via hit and run and got away no problem), i'm surprised they don't just go out killing random people for fun more often.

Considering the quality of the politicians that win elections I am not sure the quality of the vote has much room to fall. I think we are pretty much at rock bottom but I suppose it could always get worse.

We're this far down in part because of voter suppression.

We're this far down in part because of voter suppression.

Who is being suppressed?

The only clear case of voter intimidation and suppression that I can recall in recent times was the case of the armed uniformed members of the New Black Panther Party intimidating voters in Philadelphia back in 2008. Interestingly the DOJ under Herr Holder did not see this as a problem.

The issue of Al Franken winning by recounting the votes until he had more was a blatant act of stealing an election, but that was OK since it was for your side. Go ahead and bring up Bush in 2000. That has been reviewed to death but never has there been any evidence to support the liberal mantra of stealing the election. But like they say repeat a lie long enough and it will be taken as the truth.

And don't say voter ID laws are a threat. You can't rent anything or fly anywhere without showing picture ID. Heck you can't even buy cigarettes or alcohol without picture ID but you think voting should be taken at someone's word without proof?

The voter turnout is poor because Americans do not care to use their free gift of voting. Lots of people around the world would and have died for the right to vote and born free Americans throw it away.

Not surprising he and his parents are now subject to several civil suits from the victims of this act. What I find interesting is that one of the kids who was riding with Couch and got injured is seeking more in his suit (20 million dollars) than the families of the victims who died (who are seeking about a million per victim). Is something like that normal?

Who is being suppressed?

The only clear case of voter intimidation and suppression that I can recall in recent times was the case of the armed uniformed members of the New Black Panther Party intimidating voters in Philadelphia back in 2008. Interestingly the DOJ under Herr Holder did not see this as a problem.

The issue of Al Franken winning by recounting the votes until he had more was a blatant act of stealing an election, but that was OK since it was for your side. Go ahead and bring up Bush in 2000. That has been reviewed to death but never has there been any evidence to support the liberal mantra of stealing the election. But like they say repeat a lie long enough and it will be taken as the truth.

And don't say voter ID laws are a threat. You can't rent anything or fly anywhere without showing picture ID. Heck you can't even buy cigarettes or alcohol without picture ID but you think voting should be taken at someone's word without proof?

The voter turnout is poor because Americans do not care to use their free gift of voting. Lots of people around the world would and have died for the right to vote and born free Americans throw it away.

You don't pay attention to the news in the US, I take it. There's been rashes of voter suppression committed by the GOP over the past decade. But I imagine you think those are legitimate, because you don't think those people 'deserve' to vote.

Who is being suppressed?

No... Ask this Republican being honest about the real purpose of voter ID fraud/laws:

Link to video.

Who is being suppressed?

Google says otherwise:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/political-animal/2011_12/conviction_in_gop_votersuppres033951.php
Last November, there was a fairly competitive gubernatorial race in Maryland. Late on Election Day, robocalls targeted more than 100,000 Democratic households, telling voters to “relax” and not bother voting because Dems were going to win. It was one of the most blatant examples of GOP voter-suppression tactics in a long while.

Fortunately, those responsible got caught. Yesterday, a jury convicted the Republican ringleader.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2012/09/10/research-backs-up-voter-suppression-claims-but/189823
Professors Smith And Herron: Eliminating Early Voting The Final Sunday Before Election Day Disproportionately Impacts Minorities And Young Voters

Brennan Center for Justice: Early Voting Restrictions Most Heavily Disrupt Minority Voting.
New restrictions on early voting will also have their biggest impact on people of color. Opponents of these restrictions have been particularly angered by the efforts to eliminate Sunday early voting, which they see as explicitly targeting African-American voters. Florida eliminated early voting on the last Sunday before Election Day, and Ohio has eliminated early voting on Sundays entirely. There is substantial statistical and anecdotal evidence that African Americans (and to a lesser extent Hispanics) vote on Sundays in proportionately far greater numbers than whites. [Brennan Center for Justice, accessed 8/6/12]

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2...rt-history-of-conservative-voter-suppression/
–RECENT VOTER CAGING EFFORTS: During the 2004 election GOP state parties, along with dozens of unidentified groups, launched similar “voter caging” efforts designed to challenge the eligibility of thousands of minority voters by accusing them of voter fraud. And in 2008, the Obama campaign sued the Michigan Republican Committee for collecting a list of foreclosures in an effort to challenge the residency, and eligibility, of voters who had lost their home in the housing crisis.

– US ATTORNEY DAVID IGLESIAS FIRING SCANDAL: In an unprecedented politicization of the Justice Department, in 2006 the Bush White House fired US Attorney David Iglesias for refusing to prosecute voting fraud cases where little evidence existed. The New Mexico political establishment asked for Iglesias’ dismissal after he refused to cooperate with the party’s efforts to make voter id laws “the single greatest wedge issue ever.”

– US ATTORNEY TOM HEFFELFINGER DISMISSAL: In Minnesota, US Attorney Tom Heffelfinger lost his position when he ran afoul of GOP activists for “expressing deep concern about the effect of a state directive that could have the effect of discouraging Indians in Minnesota from casting ballots.”

– WISCONSIN, THE KOCHS AND THE 2010 ELECTION: Last fall ThinkProgress reported that a coalition of Wisconsin Tea Party and Koch-funded groups, in an effort to stop “voter fraud” and prevent “stolen elections,” was planning a sophisticated voter caging effort that would use GOP lawyers and Tea Party volunteers to challenge the eligibility of voters at polls in the state. Earlier that year, the same groups were instrumental in defeating a voter protection law that would have criminalized any attempt to use force or coercion to “compel any person to refrain from voting.” One prominent Tea Party member behind the voter caging effort that “since the voter law did not get passed this year… we can still do this.”

http://www.peoplesworld.org/what-voter-fraud-one-republican-convicted/
Like all the other Republicans, White supported Indiana's voter ID law, which is supposed to prevent the felony he committed.

The Republican's crime aside, voter fraud is so rare you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than finding a case of individual voter fraud. But the myth persists. So much so, that according to a recent Rasmussen poll, 64 percent of Americans believe voter fraud exists.

Tell a lie over and over for a long enough time, it becomes the misinformed truth.

White old folks in Affluenza County, Texas sure get upset when as a pollwatcher, you try to get Texas' voter suppression laws used against them.

Top Bottom