Too rich to jail

Is that before or after we change the probate laws?

What about vigilantes? Would be fun if the billionaires to be hit by vigilante hitsquads are Libertarians!

I was wondering about this in the context of the guy who just got convicted of obstruction of justice in the BP oil spill fiasco. If his managers, and the managers of the managers, and all the other turtles all the way up had a really fear of prosecution would it not result in a more honest corporate culture all around?

Would it inspire better management and corporate behavior if a crime like this were prosecutable up the management chain?

Isn't that fair? Higher levels of "responsibility" merit higher pay? Or, is the corporate world no based on merit but on grift?

I was wondering about this in the context of the guy who just got convicted of obstruction of justice in the BP oil spill fiasco. If his managers, and the managers of the managers, and all the other turtles all the way up had a really fear of prosecution would it not result in a more honest corporate culture all around?

Would it inspire better management and corporate behavior if a crime like this were prosecutable up the management chain?

Isn't that fair? Higher levels of "responsibility" merit higher pay? Or, is the corporate world no based on merit but on grift?

The odds of being caught, and then convicted, is just too low in relationship to the payout. And people always underestimate the likelihood of being caught and convicted, lowering the deterrence value over more.

So if the punishment was immediate execution and a pox on your family until the 4th generation, you think people would do this stuff less?

Somewhat. The variables are:
  • Does it even occur to them that it might be something illegal?
  • Does it even occur to them that they might be caught and punished?
  • Does it even occur to them that what they are doing might be wrong?
  • To what extent do they think they won't get caught?
  • To what extent do they think they will not be convicted, if caught?
  • Is the severity of the likely punishment really a deterrence?

Before the level of penalty becomes a factor, you have to pass the other hurdles.

Corporate fat cats tend to be arrogantly dismissive of anything which the little people have to be afraid of actually effecting them.

Somewhat. The variables are:
  • Does it even occur to them that it might be something illegal?
  • Does it even occur to them that they might be caught and punished?
  • Does it even occur to them that what they are doing might be wrong?
  • To what extent do they think they won't get caught?
  • To what extent do they think they will not be convicted, if caught?
  • Is the severity of the likely punishment really a deterrence?

Before the level of penalty becomes a factor, you have to pass the other hurdles.

I think a lot of those variables are completely irrelevant, tbh.

Alcohol tends to erase every single one of those considerations.

I think a lot of those variables are completely irrelevant, tbh.

Alcohol tends to erase every single one of those considerations.

That's covered with
Does it even occur to them that what they are doing might be wrong?

And every single other variable, too.

Let's just call the guy drunk. Quicker and simpler.

Allowing yourself to become impaired should never absolve you from -any- law violation that you perform while impaired. You chose to become impaired, you chose to make yourself incapable of rational judgment calls. That's totally on you.

That's absolutely true.

But it's probably certainly the last thing on the drunk's mind. A mind, moreover, which works incredibly slowly, when it works at all. What's even more amazing about alcohol is that the drunk is largely oblivious to the mind-numbing effects. Because, you know, they're mind-numbing.

It's a wonder the stuff isn't illegal.

Oh, wait. That's been tried.

If we really want to get technical, it was a stranded motorist, and the 3 people who were helping her that were the victims. That would mean that they were already in a dangerous spot. That a drunk driver was not paying attention does not help.

If the judge decided to make the parents pay monetarily by sending him to an expensive re-hab, how can it be viewed as the parents just paying it off? I thought that making the parents pay was part of the sentence. So if the parents paid anything at all at a cost, it would still be considered that they paid off the system. Is the judge getting a kick back from this re-hab center? Is this re-hab not going to do the job and sober up this teen?

If it had been just another drunk teen, who did not have parents with the means, people would prefer this teen to spend the next 2+ years in prison instead of a local re-hab program?

And if I am "imparired" I do not response for doing stuff I am not proud off ? I get it ;) Let's murder an indian tribe to celebrate x-mas huh ? ^^

Is it your intent to always take a life when you get impaired?

Top Bottom