1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Too smart by half - Civ VI

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by benvee, Nov 19, 2019.

1. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Since they're considered barbarians, does that mean they only grant 1 EXP after the unit has its first promotion as well? If so, treating them like leveling fodder will take a while to get anywhere.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

They count as barbarians, yes

3. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

It just kills me that if you know the tech for a heavy cav unit it’ll usually spawn that since they’re the highest strength. I don’t mind having some units watching over neighborhoods but the tanks drive 6 tiles to snipe a trader, and then they’re all over the place. It’s a terrible mission that shouldn’t exist.
    I also dislike that 3 tanks/modern armor cost 1500/2,000 production. As an inherent design, it’s just too much value from one mission’s success that can in theory happen anywhere and be repeated indefinitely. You almost need some kind of upgraded Discipline card for the late game- “counter insurgency” to handle these guys.

acluewithout and kaspergm like this.
  4. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

I don't have a problem with the mission itself but they should reduce a bit the AI interest on recruiting partisans, maybe decrease a bit the chance of being successful.

5. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

How about: You can only use this mission in a city that's unhappy? You know, not only does it make sense, it will also give us a bit incentive to build those entertainment complexes ...

bbbt and WillowBrook like this.
  6. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I approve of the restriction to unhappy cities only.
    Instead of units, I would be much happier if it would just cause the city to go into “revolt” (like civ5) for a few turns depending on the roll for the outcome. The more negative the amenity, the higher chance for a longer duration.
    This way the player has a counter option (have happy cities) but the effect of the successful mission will always hurt you.

Naeshar and acluewithout like this.
  7. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

It might get annoying for a player that is doing it if the mission keeps getting cancelled by the AI getting some amenities. It would be better if you can use it in any city but your chance of success change based on that city amenities, with Ecstatic cities having a really low chance of success. As a side effect, that probably will make the AI less likely to run these missions, assuming the AI has a tendency to go for missions that they have a better chance to succeed.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

9. Hamilton321

Hamilton321 Warlord

I lost to normal level AI a lot when I first started playing civilization, though perhaps that is because I started playing when I was nine.

I actually agree, I like the partisan mechanic much better than the mechanics other modern games use to balance and add variety/challenge to the late game, probably the one I know of best is Stellaris where there is an "endgame crisis" of invaders who seek to wipe out life as you know it in your galaxy and claim it as their own. My main problems with that system is that it happens through an event and also that the endgame crisis can be pretty weak in some games, if it shows up at a bad time it can be bad, but there are some games where the endgame crisis ends up actually making you stronger. there is also Shogun 2 where realm divide (a total war by all other powers to contain your expansion once you reach an arbitrary level of power) is used to add variety and challenge to the game, I like realm divide in that game, though I think that the partisans make more variety and challenge.

10. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

They could make it a city center mission. Neighborhood is silly anyways. Make it have less of a chance in cities that have positive amenities and greater in cities that have negative amenities.

Naeshar, bbbt and acluewithout like this.
  11. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Agreed, that would be a good solution.