1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Toolfans - what's wrong with them, are they nerdy, does even the band hate them?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WerBackIII, Oct 5, 2008.

1. WerBackIII

WerBackIII Jar of the Rotting Brain

OK, everytime I say that I'm a fan of Tool there's an army of people who look at me like they are starring at an alien, and just say "right... you nerd!". Many people claim that we are mentally ill and that we have a superiority complex. They even say, that even Tool hates its fans ("Thicks & Leeches", "Hooker with a penis"'s lyrics)

Why do people hate us? I am not complaining in the style "oh no, they hate us", I'm just interested - we truly do not have superiority coplex and eventhought we are nerdy, we are not freaks. But does Tool really hate us? Are we some kind of freaks without realising it?

One of the things that comes in my mind, is that we fully ignore to be Das Man, or in other words, the ordinary human being. We are trully nerdy in the others eyes - even sometimes in my eyes too.

Is it in the lyrics? They do have strange texts, which even I find hard to understand.

Is it in the music? In their style? In what?

What's your opinion?

2. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Take everything Tool do and say with a pinch of salt.

They have a rather good sense of humour:D

Oh and yes, Tool are my favourite band. Though I do like alot of other bands basically as much as well :)

3. WerBackIII

I'm pretty sure they don't hate their fans, I just hoped to get some haters writing in here. Defending their opinion, maybe.

4. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

From what I heard, it's because people consider Tool to be overly pretentious, self indulgent and with too many improvisation and "noodly" sections that are far too much of a waste.

5. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

Being a rock band, it is inherently unvirtous and vicious.

6. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

Tool rocks (and I don't give a **** what anyone says)

7. DNK

DNK Member

Your post just reeks of musical labeling and personal stereotyping. The world is a complex place, and people that insist on shoving everything into broad cultural cliches prove their own ignorance.

I mean, quit over-analyzing. Honestly, they're probably calling you a nerd for reasons that have nothing to do with Tool. Other people's opinions of your musical interests and the band's opinion of "you" mean about as much as mine, which is to say, nothing unless you make it worth something.

I don't want to be insulting, but someone has to just tell you it straight up.

8. Mirc

Mirc Not mIRC!!!

^ Umm, what? He was basically not understanding people that do that, not doing that himself! :crazyeye:

9. WerBackIII

Well, personally, people DO call me a nerd because other reasons, but on the other hand too many people just say "You are a Toolfan? Nerd!" (not so simple, however) without even knowing me. They just categorize me as such.

And yes, human being is too complex to be generally categorized, that's why I, we can say, am complaining.

10. Labtec600

Labtec600 Emperor

Tool was the best concert I have every seen and probably ever will see. Maybe in another 4 years they will have another one.

What crap do they listen to? Seems like the people that have made fun of me about it were the same ones that listened to yellowcard and fall out boy.

11. DNK

DNK Member

Why the "we" in his OP then? I like Tool, but I'm not a "Tool fan". And he is being overly analytical about this. It's music, enjoy it, other people can piss off if they want to be critical of it. If you want to analyze its sublteties, go ahead, but analyzing it as part of personal identitication isn't a great approach. I see all his complaints mirrored in his own words, which makes sense because otherwise he wouldn't care, wouldn't have identified so. He is still bound by the social definitions he seeks to dismiss, hence his attempts at dismissal.

12. Yoda Power

Yoda Power ✫✫✫✫✫✫✫

I think there are some empirical evidence to back it up.

Atleast I've never met a Tool-fan who wasn't a nerd.

Myself included.

13. Squonk

Squonk Deity

I like Tool.

14. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Actually ditto...I mean I do play Civilization and collect/play Warhammer/40k after all....:D

15. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

You people really should stop listening to orgiastic noise pollution for the sake of your aesthetic health.

16. History_Buff

History_Buff Knight of Cydonia

Indeed, I can't stand the music Tool plays. Bloody awful stuff.

17. Bigfoot3814

Bigfoot3814 Deity

Is a toolfan like a deadhead?

18. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

because they SUCK SO MUCH ASS

19. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Never liked them. Not because I think they're pretentious. My playlist could block out the sun with pure smug.

20. Heretic_Cata

Heretic_Cata We're gonna live forever

I don't like their music in general. Not sure why, i just don't like their style - i really see nothing special in this band to make it beter than any other american alternative/prog metal band.
    I like Sober tho. StinkFist is ok too i guess.
    And yea, the only tool fan i know IS sorta nerdy and has a superiority complex.
    I agree with this opinion.

But i'm not saying it's why i don't like them. I mean, i listen to symphonic metal - what could be more pretentious than that ? :lol:

Btw, if you make any "(insert band name) Fans" thread you can expect a lot of criticism and negative opinions, so i don't think you should be bothered (much) by them. :)