1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 3 Tips for Civilization 5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Vathris, Aug 23, 2013.

1. casualplayer

casualplayer Warlord

Placement of cities is key. Everyone knows to grab the river-hill-mountain spots but recognizing where the other good spots are is tricky. Don't hesitate to move your starting settler. Overlapping city/garrison damage spots at a chokepoint is awesome. Sometimes you want to settle on top of a lux. Sometimes you want to forward settle on even a grouchy neighbor. Sometimes one tile's difference in placement can make it so that all the spots 4 tiles away are crap. Plan where you want your next city is going to go whenever you place your current one.

Wonders are a gamble and getting yoinked can take you right out of the game. The fail-gold from Great Library isn't even enough to buy a Library. That's why most discourage trying on the higher levels for anything early era except Oracle. Almost every other Wonder you can get the full benefit of when you conquer the guy who built it instead of building military.

Check on other civs frequently to see how you compare. Being last in Military has consequences. If you don't start gaining ground in Literacy once the Renaissance begins your chance of winning starts looking bleak. Keep checking to see if any civ has redundant luxes you might need to trigger We Love the King days or fulfill City-State quests.

2. Vathris

Vathris Chieftain

Some good tips so far!

I've just compiled 3 "Rules to Live By" for Civilization 5 after some thought. It seems when I screw up it's because I was breaking one of these rules, I wonder if any Civ vets can critique them. They are a composite of a lot of advice from top posters and prominent Civ YouTubers. Here they are...

THE 3 RULES OF CIV 5

I. THINK AHEAD
    Focus on where you want to be 50-100 turns ahead. Set yourself up for that now.
    II. STICK TO A GREATER PLAN
    Have a game plan, and hold yourself to it. Some things are "nice" to have and others are "necessary" to have. Focus your efforts.
    III. WATCH YOUR OPPONENTS
    Civ 5 is not played in a vacuum. Be aware of who is strong and who is weak, and the various goings-on around the world, and adjust your plans accordingly.

I think these are the fundamental, universal rules one can always use in Civ 5 throughout patches and balance changes. This is the core of the game. The rules also compliment each other. It's possible to "think ahead" without "sticking to your greater plan" and you can do both and lose because you were not "watching your opponents."

I think these 3 rules are what make for strong Civ players.

3. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

You can build both if your second city has decent productive tile + giving +4 food to it via caravan.

4. Buccaneer

Buccaneer Deity

I had to laugh, thinking back to the posters in the other BNW forum that do not believe Civ should have opponents or at least opponents that should only act/react the way you want them to - otherwise the game is broken.

5. Krschtschn

Krschtschn Ananassafttrinker

1. Build National Wonders, especially National College and Ironworks

2. Try to get the AIs to fight amongst themselves

3. Kill Alex

6. Genghis_Sean

Genghis_Sean 8th grade English teacher

1. Synergy: Whatever civ/victory condition/strat you're aiming for, discern how you can use synergy to maximize your effectiveness. For example, if you're playing Alexander with his bonus with city-states, pursue wonders and civics that boost that.

If you're playing Babylon with their bonus great scientists, target science building wonders. Etc.

2. It's been said, but scouting and grabbing camps can really jump start your game whether through a bonus technology, faith to grab prime religious bonuses, culture to get out an early wonder bonus or worker, or simply grabbing extra gold for discovering city-states first. You may find a natural wonder that might necessitate prime city placement.

3. Trade all excess resources and get some extra gold. It's criminally stupid to just carry a resource that grants no benefit to you when you could be getting paid for it.

7. evilcat

evilcat Warlord

I. Every victory is science victory. So keep up your growth and prioritize science buildings/technologies. Take secularism.

2. Do not build useless wonders. Only in CV you need some of them.

3. Let them fight your wars. The very agresive AIs could be dealt with just by bribe to start war with someone else.

8. Bostock

Bostock King

In full:

"Build at least 6 cities . Press Ctrl R to turn on resource bubbles . Build 1.5 workers per city . Check F9 Demographics often . Stay near the top in soldiers"

...But that was quite oriented towards Civ IV. (For example the 6 cities is a reference to the minimum needed for some key national wonders in Civ IV, and 1.5 workers per city is in line with higher demand for workers in Civ IV.)