Top 5 Cities Screen of the real world

i guess someone has to take the initiative to figure out when each wonder was built and add up culture points...let's assume for simplicity that the cities continue to accumulate culture even after they're razed/caputred, and that they get all improvements 5 turns after founding. either that, or not include improvements at all...this is gonna take a while...

-Roma
-Atene
-El Cairo
-Beijing
-Mexico City

1. Athens
2. Rome
3. Tenochtilan
4. Jeruselaum
5. New York

Mentionables: Istanbul, DC, Mecca,Baghdad, Moscow, Beijing,Toyko

You fail to realize all the landmarks Washington D.C. has

White House / U.S. Capitol / Supreme Court Bldg. / Vietnam Memorial / Lincoln Memorial / Washington Monument / Holocaust Memorial / Jefferson Memorial / Union Station / National Gallery of Art / Smithsonian Institute / National Museum of American History / National Museum of Natural History / Library of Congress / National Aquarium / And the Ford's Theatre

Originally posted by scotland_no1
i still dont know why i nthe game the make the capital Kyoto it was only capital for about 500 years tolkyo has been it for over 1000

Well, if you want me to get all technical on you... Firaxis picked the capitals from the time of the ruler, so, in Tokugawa's period, it was Kyoto, also, Kyoto was capital of Japan for a long time:

Kyoto's time as capital:
794-June 1180
November 1180-June 1868

Tokyo's time as capital:
June 1868-

Also, if you want to get very technical on me, Tokugawa's capital was Hamamatsu, the imperial court resided in Kyoto.

GAH

I completely forgot about Baghdad

No way that Baghdad isn't in the top 5. Middle Easterners consider it to be Rome and Paris both wrapped into one.

If this was Civ, any city no longer owned by those who built the wonder would have much chance. Recaptured cities would be OK if they weren't razed, i guess....

IF you allow Italy to be "Roman" then Rome has a chance of top spot. Beijing must be up there too. Other than that it gets messy.

Paris and London have both been national capitals for ~1000 years, so are starting to get to the culture doubling level. They must have a chance in the also-ran category, as I suspect does Moscow. Berlin hasn't been a capital long enough. Vienna perhaps.

Have to agree that the Americas are out - cities are either just too young or were razed/captured.

Although India is short-served by the in-game wonders, the temple factor might swing it for an Indian city if there's one with a decent chance of continuity of ownership.

The fertile crescent cities have a huge problem of frequent swaps of owbnership. In the game the cultural buildings would be razed, even if the city were not. That makes it hard to rack up a lot of points. If they had stayed continuously controlled by their original owners then Athens, Alexandria, etc would be good bets. But they didn't.

So, after all that waffle:
1. Rome (cultural heart of western civilization)
2. Beijing (ditto chinese)
3. Paris (France was Europes prime country for centuries)
4. London (19th century world capital)
5. Tokyo (oriental also-ran)
If America retains it's current world status then the US capital (or NY) might creep up that list. But starting so late in the game is a huge handicap. I don't think anyone could win a 20k victory with a city founded in the 1600s????

New Orleans, Charleston, Richmond, Nashville and, of course Birmingham, Alabama.

:)

I can't believe no-ones mentioned Cairo.
I doubt any American cities would qualify as they haven't been around long enough.

Originally posted by MadScot
Someone could actually work out what Civs top 5 would be, by simply counting up the notional accumulated culture points (it's based on cultural ranking, not size, so Tokyo's size is irrelevant)

i wasn't just doing tokyo on its population. have you ever seen how many famous landmarks,temples and catles there are in the city..these would definetely make it in my top 5

oh an Plexus i dont want to get all technical either but tokyo became capital in 1485..it only changed its name in 1868

anyway..forget that...Godwynn i could easily name more landmarks in my own capital city and i only live in a country of 5 million people. people dont realise how many smaller cities would have a cultural value much much higher than any US city..take Edinburgh,Glasgow,Bath,Orleans,Moscow,Madrid,Barcelona,Bilbao,Seville,Amesterdam,Brussels,Copenhagen...the list would go on for about 200 more easily before it even reached any US city

oh and madscot my capital has been around for excess of 3500 years and its in scotland :) so dont go thinking all the old cities were in mesopotamia and mediteranean.

Originally posted by scotland_no1

oh an Plexus i dont want to get all technical either but tokyo became capital in 1485..it only changed its name in 1868

I am going to have to disagree with you there, scot...

Originally posted by Plexus

I am going to have to disagree with you there, scot...

ok u can think what you want but i have the japan holiday book open infront of me from when we went on holiday there and im on the chapter about the history of the country,either there is a very bad typo or the book is on large lie.

no wait i have reread the chapter and i have noticed it says " tokugwa Ieyasu won the battle of Sekigahara and became the defacto ruler. In1603 he was given the title of shigan and established his capital at Edo in 1605." i read the wrong text to write 1485 but tokyo became the capital in 1605. Edo and tokyo are the same place.

Wasnt Rome sacked by Attila the Hun?
Didn't Beijing Get Captured by the Japanese in WWII?
Capitals were captured in time, resetting the Culture Gain ;)

1. London
2. Bejing
3. Istanbul
4. Jerusalem
5. Paris/New York

I think Rome is more historical than cultural, and that the remnants of culture now lie in ruin.

Originally posted by Anti-EUA

Sorry, no North, Central or South America could be listed. We only exist for 500 years.
I think some of my Mexican friends might disagree with you about that one. Have you ever been to Chichen Itza?

It should noted that Paris was conquered by England and later Great Britain mutliple times, thus if this was Civ3 then a lot of the cultural thingymowidgets would have been reset and some of what remains would be foreign.

London (or, I think the Romans called it Londinium) was also conquered but not so recently.

Top Bottom