1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Cities Screen of the real world

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by ivory, May 17, 2003.

1. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

i would also like to point out that jerusalem has been caputed on numerous occasions. London has beencaptured by the french and by the germans (saxons) Dehli has been conquered many times,

i dont think this thread should be about how many times cities have been conquered. letys pretend that after a city has been conquered it has still reatined its cutlural value,otherwise we would go on arguing forever about stuff like that.

anyway cardiff should be before london.it was boted cultural capital of the UK

2. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

I don't really know why it's possible to do such a list in the RL... There're so many cities, and so many ancient/medieval cities; each and every one with their own story, and history.

Besides, culture resides with people, not cities... :p

3. Amenhotep IV

Amenhotep IV Great Pharaoh

1st Thebes
    2nd El-Amarna
    3rd Syene
    4th Memphis
    5th Alexandria

4. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Ancient Rome in the time of the Caesars was estimated to have over 1 million inhabitants. When did Tokyo reach the 1 million level?

5. petermarkab

petermarkab Chieftain

I think an American city must be in the top five, due primarily to the spread of American values around the world, the embracement of globalisation and capitalism by virtually every state in the world, and the ubiquity of American icons like Pepsi/Coca-cola and Nike.

New York is the obvious choice as in addition to being the most famous US city in the world, and one to which many people profess to wanting to visit/live in etc, it is also host to the real United Nations, and is the financial capital of the world.

Culture isn't just about ancient monuments - its also about contemporary influence!

6. Quandary

Quandary Prince

As others have pointed out, it really depends on whether or not you're using Civ 3 rules.

Plus, there will be a tendency for people to "vote" for their nation and their era. Sort of like the radio stations playing "the top 100 songs of the century" in December 1999 and only playing songs that had been around since the beginning of the station format type.

People in U.S. 1930 are not going to agree that "Gangsta Rap Kop Killa" of 1998 deserved #5 placement over "The Ragtime Rag" of 1931... or even "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".

By Civ 3 rules, no U.S. city makes the list. Probably no English or French ones either. Conquered or not, I think those ancient wonders will have accumulated more than enough culture to keep their cities on top.

7. Zingo

Zingo Beer

1. Rome
    2. Athens
    3. Prague
    4. Paris
    5. Alexandria

8. Inter4

Inter4 Forza Inter!

That's not true. What about the Incas, The Mayas????????

9. Rabid Pop Tart

Rabid Pop Tart Aspiring Graphic Designer

Well if you go by the Civ III cultural system, then your most high cultural cities would be restricted to the earliest ones that still exist today. When was Rome founded? A heck of a lot longer than cities in the Fertile Crescent. So it's tough to say. And no cities could quialify in the Americas. Either the cities are European that have only existed for 500 years or the Native American cities have been destroyed.

10. Quasar1011

Quasar1011 King of Sylvania

Romewas founded around 700 B.C. Maybe somebody knows the exact date. But there were cities in the fertile crescent (Ur, Babylon, Damascus, Jerusalem) a lot earlier than that. In fact, Damascus is the world's oldest continually inhabited city. Other cities that would pre-date Rome would be found on the Indian sub-continent, Asia Minor, Egypt and China.

11. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Rabid

Since when was Machu Picchu Destroyed?!?

12. Fier Canadien

Fier Canadien Citizen

In my very own oppinion:

1.Bagdhad/Babylon
    2.Athens (Do you know a lot of cities that have so much old and developped culture?)
    3.El Cairo (Same reason as Athens, but it was and still is controlled by another culture group, arabics)
    4.Roma (Was only founded in 752 BC., at that time, the greeks had already colonised southern Italy, under the name of Magna Graecia)
    5.-put in the eldest chinese capital you can find- (The chinese were realy more developped than the Japanese or anyone else in Asia culturaly in BC.)

But in the Mac culture:
    1.Cupertino
    2.San Francisco
    3.Tokyo
    4.New York
    5.tie Paris/London

13. mazzz

mazzz Emperor

you HAVE to include Istanbul!

14. Anti-EUA

Anti-EUA Prince

Inter32 - Well they were destroyed, unfortunately.
    Although I was wrong about Mexico City, completely forgot. But even Mexico City wouldn't hit top 5, unfortunately again.

15. Dr Jimbo

Dr Jimbo Undefeated

Good point, and that rules out Rome, Delhi, and Athens. And Paris, Babylon, Jerusalem. Not sure about some others. London's looking real good now.

16. Quentin

Quentin King

I don't know much history but I know no Chinese city can possibly make that list. Heck the way I see it, most Chinese are much more proud of their military than their culture. They don't even care about their Great Wall.
    Let me try to come up with a list:
    1. Jerusalem
    2. New York
    3. London
    4. Paris
    5. Athens

17. Romanus

Romanus Ruler of CivRome

Ive noticed some of the lists show a bias towards the posters location and experience....not a bad thing....just something I noticed...so, in keeping with that, here is my list:

1.)Nashville-I consider it Mecca for the country music fan
    2.)New York-Put aside any antiAmerican feelings and be honest....its cultural influence covers the globe. I traveled a lot in my Navy days, amazing the places I have seen people wearing Yankees ballcaps.
    3.)Rome-Been there, would love to live there
    4.)London-If Europe had one capital city, this would be it
    5.)Paris-Im no fan of the French...but its cultural influence is undeniable

Nashville as my #1 is just me clowning around.....but the other 4 choices are in my opinion a good group-eurocentric to the last, but can hold their own against any.

18. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

Do you think we (in general) have a problem distinguishing between long-lasting culture and short-term fasions?

Because the ancient pallaces, libraries, museums, castles and figure heads associated with ancient cities are not fasionable but do inspire awe... and this is an entirely different kind of influence than that generated by modern architecture and entertainment.

19. JonathanValjean

JonathanValjean Porschephile

I may change my mind, but here is my list at the present:

1) Athens, Greece
    2) Rome, Italy
    3) Paris, France
    4) London, England
    5) New York, U.S.A.

As you can see, the age of the city was a huge factor, just as it is in the game, due to the doubling of culture for those structures 1000 years or older.

BTW, this is a great question, and it is one that I could ponder for days, if not weeks!

20. Dr Jimbo

Dr Jimbo Undefeated

If we're going by the game rules, enemy capture of a city destroys any accumulated culture.
    I can't think of any world city with a major or minor wonder that has been in it's parents civ's hands longer than the English ones: London, with Shakespeare's theatre, and Oxford with Newton's College. I can't recall if Beijing was occupied in WWII, but most of the European cities were, which bumps the US wonder-containing cities well up the list.
    Of course, if there's some town with a 1000 year old temple and library continuously in it's parent civ's hands, that would beat a 50-year old United Nations.

Just being pedantic.