1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Cities Screen of the real world

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by ivory, May 17, 2003.

1. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

I'm Malaysian, but work in Singapore. And went back to M'sia during the weekend. So I am fairly familiar with both. ;)

Believe me; Singapore is way more prosperous than Malaysia. Otherwise, hundreds of thousands of Malaysians won't choose to work in Singapore, instead of, say, back home. One reason for Malaysia's 'prosperity' is also 'cause of all the foreign exchange flowing back home, fr our pay in S'pore. ;)

Growth rate is no indication - otherwise, Guangzhou and Shanghai will be the most prosperous cities in the world. :)

And investing in M'sia is riskier. Do you know that M'sia currently has capital controls to restrict movement of capital out of the country? ;)

2. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

In Civ3 the Top 5 are based on accumulated culture, so my Top 5 would be:

1. Rome
    2. Beijing
    3. Athens
    4. London
    5. Paris

Runners-up in no particular order would be:
    Vienna
    Moscow
    Nanking
    Kyoto
    Alexandria
    Istanbul
    Baghdad
    New York

3. FeelGood

FeelGood Emphatic Diplomat

LOL......
    Hmm... you must be a proud Singaporean... Compared to thousands of Malaysians work in Singapore... there are millions of foreigners work in Malaysia ;).

Riskier because of capital control!... I admit that China now is gaining her hand on economy but still many investors invest in Malaysia.

Also, do you know that Singapore is in recession now.

Lastly, I also think that Kuala Lumpur is too young to be in the list (culture counted).

My list would be:

Baghdad
    Mecca
    Rome
    Paris
    London

4. Kubla

Kubla Chieftain

Well, here's my list:

1. Jerusalem
    2. Giza/Cairo
    3. Athens
    4. Rome
    5. Baghdad

If we go by Civ3 rules, we can rule out Beijing. It wasn't anything but a border town until the Mongol Yuan Dynasty. The Ming moved their capital to Nanjing after overthrowing the Yuan - it wasn't returned to Beijing until the early 15th century. Then the FP was built. Beijing simply hasn't been a big cultural center long enough.

5. bru

bru Prince

Cairo
    Athens
    Rome
    Beijing
    London

6. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

Following the Civ3 rules, Athens and Bagdhad are out.
    Athens was captures by the Romans IIRC 146BC, and got Greek aggain inthe mid 19th centurs, so no way in producing much culture. Bagdhad was totally razed by the Mongols.

But we all forgot one thing: Science, and Civ3 does really consider that alot. What are the top Science cities in RL:

Boston
    Tokio
    Paris
    ???
    Don't know, maybe someone can come up with a number of them and include them in this listing?

7. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

Following the "capture" rules you must rule out the following cities:

- Rome
    - Paris
    - Istanbul
    - Tokyo
    - Athens
    - Kuala Lampur
    - Kyoto
    - Jerusalem
    - Baghdad
    - Cairo
    - Vienna
    - Nanking
    - Beijing
    - Shanghai
    - Alexandria

...among others

Also, saying that if it isn`t old it does`nt count is absurd. I also think anti-American sentiment is the drive behind some of it.

8. Mongrel

Mongrel Chieftain

In Civ3 terms, the current ruler of a city is key to it's culture production.
    Many of the cities named don't have Civ3 wonders. Jerusalem?

But newer civilizations (not Civs) like Italy (not Roman Empire) have some of the wonders. In the case of Italy, Sistene (Michelangelo's) Chapel and DiVinci's Workshop(?). Also, the Vatican City surely provides Rome with lots of current culture for Italy.

Which Civs win out on Great Wonder count?
    Does Shakespear's (Globe) Theater still stand?
    What real city has Magellan's Voyage? Lisbon? J.S. Bach's Cathedral must be in a particular place (anybody know?), but what about Universal Suffrage (US?), Adam Smith's (UK?) and the Internet (US?)

As for current cultural influence, Los Angeles is regrettably way up there.

9. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

Some of the wonders are obviously intended to represent concepts rather than actual buildings as such; some are so named - 'Theory of Evolution' being an example, while others masquerade as buildings. I would suggest that Adam Smith is supposed to represent 'Wealth of Nations' rather than a company he never founded.

The Globe is not there any more.

Owning a wonder now doesn't count for top 5 ranking because only the civ that builds it gets the culture for it.

I would put Universal Suffrage in one of Canada, Australia or New Zealand, since I believe that women first got the vote in a province/state of one of those countries. If I had to pick one of the Civs I'd say England, as those were all Dominions at the time I think, and also I think women got the vote in the UK before the US.

10. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

A city in my top 5 would have to meet several strict conditions. It must be a capital. It must exist for very very long, the original people who build it must still rule it and the city must never have been captured. Preferably it must have some buildings that could generate culture if used in Civ 3.

Those conditions rule out most of African cities, due to European colonization, Same for South America and North America, Nearly all of Europe and also Oceania.

Thus a battle between some european cities Stockholm, Reykjavic and Helsinki and Moscow. Or Asian cities Of nations which weren't colonised by Europeans or Japanese or whoever. I think the Mongol city of Ulan Baator would qualify.

That really reduces the possibilities. I doubt London; it has been captured around 1050 AD, but has had plenty of time to recover from that. And It's Golden Age was far after that.

So:
    1) Moscow
    2) Ulaan Baator
    3) Stockholm
    4) Helsinki
    5) London.

11. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

I wouldn't count the Norman Conquest as capturing London. After all, it was as much a civil war as anything else. William had as much right to the English throne as did, say, the later William , of William and Mary. Not to mention the Plantageneat (sp?) bloodletting, or Mr. Cromwell.

I can't really consider Ulan Baator. Most of the world's eductaed population can probably neither find it on a map nor spell it. And while probably nice places to live, I don't see the Scandinavian cities quite making the grade.

12. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Well, as far as I know...noone is working those tiles anymore.

13. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

What about the Romans' capture of Britain?

Also, Moscow #1 City now?! ROFL
    that is the funniest explicitive deleted I`ve ever heard.

14. MadScot

MadScot Brandy's back!

Roman capture of Britain predates any reasonable ancestor to the 'English' civ in the game. That's one of the problems with trying to apply civ rules to the modern world; everyone didn't start in 4000BC!

(Off Topic - the game 'History of the World' models this in an elegant fashion, as the player controls, sequentially, the various civilizations that rose and fell during world history.)

Even starting from, say, 500AD, the older western European cities are in with a chance, due to massive development and the relatively larger number of turns since 1000AD.

15. sebanaj

sebanaj Prince

1-Rome
    2-Athens
    3-Paris
    4-Babylon
    5-Jerusalem
    6-Beijing
    7-London

16. Rik Meleet

Rik Meleet Top predator Retired Moderator

I just wanted to point out that when you would want to name civ3 real world top 5 cities you'd get some very surprising cities. BTW the argument: "Most of the world's eductaed population can probably neither find it on a map nor spell it" is in my opinion rubbish; It's not "the top 5 cities westerners like best". I gave my criteria and these cities meet those qualifications.

If you want to hold a top5 of real world "most influential citites in the world" my list wouldn't be on it. Then you get cities like Mecca (as every muslim has to go there once in his life), Athens (old culture, capital of Greece, huge population and important in sports (olympic movement started there), Rome (religious center for the biggest religion in the world, ancient history, capital and environmentally important "club of Rome"), Moscow (capital of biggest nation, military importance (Napolean and Hitler just couldn't get it), cultural importance and historical old city) and London (ex-capitol of worlds biggest Empire, ancient, full of modern and antique important buildings and it's size.

No American cities make it in my top 5; the capital is too small, another candidate (NY) was build by the Dutch, captured by the English and only 200 years American. It might have cultural diversity, but that's doesn't mean it's strong culturally.

17. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

the romans didnt capture britain...the captured england and wales... scotland was never owned by the romans...however they did invade it over 15 times failing each time invading our country.

18. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

Then they built Hadrian's Wall with the same purpose the Chinese built theirs: to keep the barbs out!
    Scotland_no, a while back you wrote:
    Can you provide a link to support this? I had a look at www.edinburgh.org but they don't have page about its history.

edit: after the closure and reopening of the thread and deletion of some other posts, certain remarks had outgrown their use.

19. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

ediunburgh.org isnt about its history, its about things happening to the city.

i dont have a website to back this up, but if you go to edinburgh, and go to the castle the you will see that there was a settlement ontop of the rock with was created by the picts many centuries ago.

how am i making a fool of myself? im am just trying to defend my position, hwta do you expect me to do sit back and let anyone throw any insult at me they like?

yes i know they built hadrians wall, but what has building hadrians wall got to do with them invading our country. and the picts had a strong celtish and cultural belive, they were quite clever people, and this is from a roman historians point of view, they were the ones who called egypts,babylon and carthage barbarians.

20. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator