1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Top 5 Cities Screen of the real world

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by ivory, May 17, 2003.

1. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

Someone said in another thread that Moscow would be the number 1 in a real world Top 5 cities screen...

Moscow was captured in 1610 by the Poles. Moscow cannot count according to the "guidelines".

2. Peter Harris

Peter Harris Warlord

Napoleon snaffled Moscow in about 1812. :D

3. Peter Harris

Peter Harris Warlord

Everyone knows the #1 city is Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia.

4. Anti-EUA

Anti-EUA Prince

Ok, but shouldn't it be posted in the same thread?

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Thread reopened at the request of the origanal topic starter. There is one condintion - that this thread doesn't disolve into another political debate. If it does, this thread will be closed for good.

6. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

Many thanks Chieftess. I guess topics concerning the real world outside of a Civ map always carry a risk.

I did a little stocktaking on all the top five's submitted, and found a strong case for, of course, Rome. Runners up are Paris, London and Jerusalem. From this we may perhaps draw a picture of the civfanatic's world perspective.

The controversy over captured cities is unfortunate. Oddly enough, the real world and the game do not always follow the same rules. Weren't many civilizations first envied, then conquered because of their culture? And while Babylon and Baghdad are not the same city (there are a few centuries of silence and 60 miles desert between them), it is often argued that the latter inherited the treasures of the Mesopotamian cultures. Destroying culture was in many cases a deliberate rather than automatic act of war. Looting museums by anonymous mobs when an invader takes over, is a relatively new phenomenon, perhaps because museums were not so common in ancient times.
    In Civ terms, the 'Tourism' tech, developed in the late Industrial Age, allows even razed and abandoned cities to continue to generate income. The amount of gpt depends chiefly on the size and wealth of neighbouring countries.
    When I visited Peru last year, I found a beautiful mix of Inca and Spanish culture. Machu Picchu is an economic powerhouse, although noone actually lives there.

So please do incorporate captured cities in your top 5 if you consider this appropriate.

7. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

And the Poles captured Moscow in 1610. The Tartars captured Moscow even earlier than that and burned it to the ground.

And, although I didn`t know this (I though Napoleon never made it) but the French captured Moscow in 1812. Also, Moscow was not always the capitol of Russia. St. Petersburg served as the capitol for a while after Peter the Great`s reign.

8. ivory

ivory What 's the big picture?

And Student Driver continues to press his point like there is no tomorrow, and he starts with the word "and" like there are no posts after his previous one, and we are left to wonder whether he actually read them.

My top 5 of cities which *have been captured*:
    1. Moscow
    2. Jerusalem
    3. Paris
    4. Mexico City
    5. Rome

London didn't make it on the list, because I am not sure if it actually was a permanent settlement before the Roman invasion.

9. Cannon

Cannon YHVH has a son

....this guy doesn't really need to fill in his location anyway.....

10. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

Well actually Ivory, the "previous" post was actually a new thread that was closed and moved here when this one was reopened, so make sure you know wtf you are talking about before you open your mouth. ;)

11. D' Artagnan

D' Artagnan Mousquetaire du Roi

That's ludicrous : why a city that has never been captured is better than a city that already has ?
    The top 5 should include this criteria : years of existence + cultural influence within these years + population, size + monuments + beauty of it. In no particular order.

My Top 5 is :

1) Jerusalem
    2) Rome
    3) Paris
    4) New York
    5) London

12. Student Driver

Student Driver Chieftain

Generally people agree on that list D`Artagnan

13. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Moderator Action: Ivory and Sturdent Driver, I've already closed this thread once, and warned everyone about debates. Flaming is also not allowed, so I will have to ban both of you for 3 days to cool off.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

14. scotland_no1

scotland_no1 Jimmy Hat Salesman

i think i will change my mins about my top favourites, my favourites are...

1)Jerusalem
    2)Cairo
    3)Athens
    4)Tokyo
    5)Paris

15. hannibol

hannibol Chieftain

I don't think there is anyway you exclude the "capital" of the modern world in New York based on time. If you make that distinction then the top five would be the oldest cities that remain today. In terms of CIV typically no city after ACE will make it to the top 5. So if time excludes all American cities it would do the same to most European cities out side the Greco-Roman area.

If that is the case there is no way you can leave out either Waset/Thebes or Memphis/Giza/Cairo as both were influential before some of these cities were even thought about. And what about Babylon. I think you measure on that City and civilization relevant to the time it has existed, after all we don't get to start every civ on earth at 4000bce.

makes it kind of hard to decide.

16. John-LP

John-LP Libertarian

Top 5 Cites:

1. Rome
    2. Paris
    3. New York
    4. London
    5. Tokyo

17. Frisian Warrior

Frisian Warrior with a cannon

The game looks only at cultural values of cities, which is a bit silly (I believe that has been said before in this eventful thread). Influence is more than that. Shields, commerce and sheer size for example. Also, in the real world cultural values can decline but in the game they can't.
    Perhaps a good way to measure a city's importance is to count how often it is mentioned in the news - although the news hardly covers the important things. That would certainly be more objective than culture, which - contrary to what the game makes of it - is not a number.

Anyway, my top towns would then be:
    1. New York
    2. Jerusalem
    3. Mecca
    4. London
    5. Tokyo

18. Mishrack

Mishrack Chieftain

1. Mecca
    2. Jerusalem
    3. Athens
    4. Rome
    5. Bruxelles

19. Strider

Strider In Retrospect

1) Mecca
    2) New York
    3) Rome
    4) London
    5) Moscow

20. John-LP

John-LP Libertarian

Mecca?! Are you two Muslim?

I realize every Muslim is supposed to journey to Mecca once in their lifetime, but more people combined visit Jerusalem and all in all I believe more people see New York, Paris, and/or Rome.