1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TOP Civ 5 Annoyances

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dark_MadMax, Sep 26, 2010.

?

Check things which annoy you

1. Puppet cities building crap

42 vote(s)
    32.8%
  2. Pathfinding

52 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Worker Automation

34 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. Other (please describe)

59 vote(s)
    46.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dark_MadMax

Dark_MadMax Chieftain

So aside of crashing and UI here are things which annoy me the most :

- Puppet cities build lots of crap and cost you maintenance and resources

- Path-finding is broken you have to babysit and micro them just to get from A to B

- Workers suck at automation ( they build railroad not on top of my roads but wherever they want for example, they embark and go to other continent instead of improving nearest city and so on)

2. DeadFish

DeadFish Warlord

Auto scroll is so annoying.

3. sohvan

sohvan Chieftain

The terrible AI is by far my biggest complaint about the game. For example I just witnessed Rome besieging a city state with around 8 units surrounding it. They had multiple legions around the city, and 2 archery units behind melee units. They would never attack the city with a single melee unit, but rather just bombard it with archers.

Since the archers barely did any damage to large city, it would regain it's health faster than the 2 archers could take it down. The city would slowly kill the archers, at which time the AI would bring another archer in range. 30 turns later Rome is still sieging the city with no progress. If he had used his legions to attack, it would have been over in 1 turn with no casualties.

4. Isikien

Isikien WHOA

Bad bad bad AI

Technical problems that stop people from playing the game.

Dare I say it, DLC

5. pagh80

pagh80 Warlord

My top annoyance is: One unit per tile is very annoying for non combat units like workers, and when you arent in war.(Its awesome during war though)

No worker automation?!? I cant automate a worker and tell it not to overwrite my manual improvements? That is stupid. :(

The fact that overview windows stack is annoying. Luckily that should be easy to fix.
    I dont want to close xx windows if i feel like pressing F1-F9, or close the diplo screen after i have chosen a civ to talk to.

The cities build and queue interface is weird.

And then i cant seem to find out where the angry faces comes from. For example how many angry faces a certain concured city gives. All i can see is the total amount of angry faces from all concured cities. :(

Ohh and one more: Certain wonders require you to have a specific building in all your cities. That is stupid! They should revert back to CiV 4 style where you needed like 4-6 types of a certain building. It simply doesnt make sense that a civ with 2 cities can make Oxford University if they have a university in both of them, but a civ with 20 cities and universities in 19 of them cant. That needs to be fixed.

6. RohirrimElf

RohirrimElf Emperor

Ai doesnt bould enough citys. Just sticks to 2/4 citys the whole game (Montezuma)
    No world builder to know if u are isolated or not or adjust stuff?
    Ai is way to passive

7. ButSam

ButSam King

"Puppet Cities building crap" is an annoyance that you have to live with, there has to be some drawback to having puppet cities.

Pathfinding is the worst for me, should only track thru city-states if you are at least friendly with them.

Worker automation is annoying, but just don't automate. I hope it gets fixed, but not as bad as the pathfinding.

8. Czacki

Czacki Warlord

AI
    diplomacy
    pathfinding
    army management
    citizen distribution screen
    useless buildings
    useless wonders
    heavy bias towards war
    gold > everything
    horrible map

9. aguds

aguds Warlord

Battle AI is having problems with ADD it seems. I had a small lake(black sea, in earth 'large') and a city on each side. The Egyptians came to take me down, with Swordsmen and Pikemen vs. my warriors and archers - and should have managed to give me quite a bit of problems. But instead, they went on a embarking/disembarking frenzy and just paced around the little lake while I bombarded them from both my cities and with my archers. After 25 turns and 3 waves, Ramses offered peace if I gave him everything I had - but I offered him ritalin instead, and he went and sat in the corner. This was on Prince. Anyone know if the BattleAI get smarter if I crank up the difficulty, or is it just cheating with tech. etc. they get then?

10. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Unit costs are too high, which has many problems associated with it.

It means the AI, who lose units hand over fist will soon have none. Wait till two of them go toe to toe, deplete their tiny armies...then invade.

It also means that there is precious little fighting in a war.

Halved united costs would make this game alot more fun. Playing multiplayer last night on quick speed, tech was too fast, but at least I could put out a decent amount of units and cause misery to my fellow players.

11. pagh80

pagh80 Warlord

With the one unit per tile system, your change would just make it that much worse to move stuff around.

12. phil9999uk

phil9999uk Chieftain

AI civs not expanding out of there own capital? or improving the land?

13. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Perhaps I'd be more in favour of a relaxed 1upt rule, or I don't find moving my mouse and clicking twice as much as I do atm that daunting. Compared to an RTS it is nothing.

14. Czacki

Czacki Warlord

The system is too limiting, it forces a tiny army, which means things have to build for ages unless each player will end in logistical nightmare. I have no problems with tiny armies (more fun than 50 axemen), but it also means that instead for going for buildings, it's better to create an army and stomp enemies - because of how strong a small army can be.

15. HannibalBarca

HannibalBarca Chieftain

^ this.

16. bernlin2000

bernlin2000 Prince

First point I would disagree: they usually build things I would have wanted them to build (monuments, barracks, temples). They're pretty much set to governor mode, and it seems pretty good to me.

Second point I agree: I don't like that you can see the path you've put units on. I'm dumbfounded that they could test this game for years and forget that feature. Yes, also don't like that they seem to stop immediately whenever they discover you've directed another unit to the same tile as them. I'd rather the unit stop 1-2 tiles from his destination....not 20 tiles, when I can't remember exactly where I was going to place him.

Third I really don't know: I usually don't put workers on automation until quite late in the game, when there aren't very many improvements left for most cities (and I don't really care about cities I've conquered that much) They seem to be doing what they often did in CivIV: building lots of gold improvements (trading post now, cottages then). Doesn't bother me: always need more gold. I saw one embark from the city he came from, but I looked and that city was completely improved, so it made sense to go somewhere else.

17. Viatrix

Viatrix Chieftain

There could be more options in the poll.

Anyway, here are some targets of my hatred:

1) Turn times. I've been writing about this issue today in several threads, mostly because it's true and stops me from playing the game. Basically if you are a peaceful player all you can do is press enter and wait, press enter and wait, press enter and wait... About 5 seconds every turn even in the early game.

2) I don't get the feeling "this civilization is my friend" anymore. In Civilization IV you certainly had friends, but now your only true friends are city-states. I'm missing that old warm feeling that this certain civilization is my ally, my friend... Now it feels like a sandbox.

3) The game seems to be too combat-based (read complaint number 1).

4) Gold, gold and gold... If you have gold, you have everything. Period. Feels kinda numb, eh?

18. Kaxeon

Kaxeon Chieftain

Voted other: AI.

They need to improve it.

19. aguds

aguds Warlord

I agree with 1,3 and 4 of the above. But regarding friends; at least City States does a good job of beeing a pal - especially my militaristic border-guard of Sidon is brilliantly repelling the Russians from my fragile gold-hoarding city of Antium.

But regarding 3; combat is very fun in this version. The new tile-system is fantastic, and there is actual stratetgy to the combat now. I guess they wanted to show that off by over-exposing us a tad.

20. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

UI
    Can't hurry up production
    I can't see the terrain battle modifiers
    Lousy bonuses when improving terrain

The simplified gameplay which can't be solved with a patch.