1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Top Ten Medieval Battles

Discussion in 'World History' started by Gen.Mannerheim, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Gen.Mannerheim

Gen.Mannerheim Grand Moff

I am curious as to which battles in Medieval History people think as important in the development of the era and Western World as well. I have been trying to create a top ten list (because hey, why not) however I am trying to limit the number of battles directly involving the England or the Hundred Years War, which is harder than it sounds. I would love suggestions accompanied with reason(s) for inclusion on the list:D

Personal list unordered so far

Battle of Bouvines (1214)
    Battle of Ascalon (1099)
    Battle of Tannenberg (1410)
    Battle of Poitiers (1356)
    Battle of Manzikert (1071)
    Battle of Hastings (1066)

2. Dachs

Dachs Intelligence Officer

Screw importance. But you know what was a cool engagement? The Battle of Kleidion. Because it was a hackneyed mash-up of Byzantine historian battle cliches and impossible claims of brutality because THOUSANDS OF BLINDINGS GAISE

3. Gen.Mannerheim

Well anytime ole Basil II is involved its going to be a hoot. But more to the point at hand, Kleidion did lead to the end of the Bulgarian Empire so that inportant.

4. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Chieftain

Roosebeeke, Charleroi, Golden Spurs, Kazan, Legnica, Blue Waters, Battle on the Ice. I really think stuff involving Italy could be put here but that's not my field.

5. Dachs

hahaha what

6. Wrymouth3

Wrymouth3 Chieftain

Excuse my recent viewing of Aleksandr Nevskii. I meant to say the Battle of Lake Peipus.

7. Gen.Mannerheim

I’m almost tempted to put the Siege of Bari (1068-71) because it kicked to Byzantines out of Italy and brought the Normans to prestige in Southern Italy, but they didn’t stay in power too long themselves.

8. Dachs

still wasn't an important engagement for anything except russian mythologizing
    byzantines didn't matter in italian politics by then anyway, try civitate

9. Gen.Mannerheim

Good call on Civitate, capturing the Pope is kind of a big deal lol. The only other major Italian battle that comes to mind atm is Battle of Campaldino, but I don’t know much of anything on the conflict between Guelphs and Ghibellines thing.

10. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

The most important battle was clearly Bannockburn, because something something Scottish nationalism something.

11. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Pasunda Bubat? I can't actually think another decent example.

12. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

And Clontarf, because something something vikings something.

13. Domen

Domen Misico dux Vandalorum

How were Legnica or the battle on the Ice anything like "most important"?

If anything the battle of Mohi was much more important than Legnica.

And the battle on the Ice was a rather unimportant episode.

===================================

And what do you think about the battle of Hattin in 1187?

Was it important? Or was it unimportant because the Crusader States were doomed to collapse earlier or later anyway?

I would also add the battle of Las Navas de Tolosa of 1212 (practically decisive battle of the Reconquista).

Grunwald 1410 and Hastings 1066 are already listed.

The battle of Legnano of 1176 deserves to be listed too, I guess.

Legnica was unimportant outside Poland and its nearest neighbourhood, and even in Poland it was important only because duke Henry lost his live there (had he survived the battle, it would have been of no any long-term importance at all) - it should be replaced by the battle of Mohi in Hungary.

The battle of Kulikovo of 1380 is a potential candidate too - certainly much more important than the battle on Lake Peipus.

I doubt a Novgorodian defeat in the battle of Lake Peipus could change anything - maybe a slightly different border with the Teutonic State.

14. Domen

Apart from Mantzikert also Yarmouk in 636 (if we count this as already "Medieval" period). Maybe also battle of the Durbe in 1260 - Lithuanian victory convinced them to become pagan again (as a consequence over 100 years later they accepted Christianity from & allied with Poland).

Also the battle of Nicopolis in 1396.

And year 955 saw 2 important victories for the HRE (and important defeats for its enemies):

- the battle of Lechfeld (10 August) and the battle of Recknitz (16 October)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Recknitz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Lechfeld

The battle of Recknitz was decisive in the series of crusades against the Polabian Slavs.

This is also an important and quite extraordinary battle:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Talas

And another battle important for the Islamic world:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ain_Jalut

15. Gen.Mannerheim

Hattin is pretty important, in the sense that after the loss the Kingdom of Jerusalem was decisively taken out of the game. Had they not lost the battle and Guy not been a total tard, the Kingdom might have very well survived in some state for some time like Antioch or Acre. I put Ascalon (1099) on the list because it helped ensure a long-term presence of the Franks in the Levant.

I really wish I knew more about the conflicts in Italy during this time other than the Normans in the south. I don’t really know which of the plethora of HRE vs Italian battles were truly decisive.

16. Dachs

oh god the search for a decisive battle

kill me now

17. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Can't forget Largs- something something vikings and Scottish nationalism something.

See, guys, this is easy. I don't know you're all making such a meal of it.

Bonus for points for those who get the irony that Largs was one of the most pointlessly indecisive battles in Scottish history.

18. Gen.Mannerheim

What about the Battle of Epiphany - Scottish vikings vs Scottish vikings haha.

19. Domen

What about the Battle of Mozgawa 1195 - Poles vs Poles and Poles didn't win it (inconclusive).

20. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

I'm more impressed that the Scots have a history beyond killing English, kilts, and dour Presbyterianism.