Top ten musical pieces of Civ VI

Ok noob question: is there an easy way to tell which song is playing (in the UI)?

Okay this took me a while to figure out but this is my top 10 list of Civs with the best overall ambient music. If anyone else wants to to it you can listen to the complete Civ6 soundtrack on Youtube.

10) China - It's all a bit too similar but I really like the sound of the Guzheng throughout. The music is calm and relaxing, perfect for playing as China where you spend most of your time playing peacefully.

9) Mongolia - The throat singing is nothing like any other music you hear in the game. I also like the sound of what I think is a Cello (or the Mongolian equivalent) playing in some of the folk music.

8) Germany - I'm biased to any music that heavily features a violin playing. This music is very upbeat and doesn't take itself too seriously. Sounds like the music you would hear in the 18th century particularly 'Wenn ich ein Voglein War'. I like 'In Stiller Nacht' as well it sounds like a lullaby for going to sleep, but in a good way.

7) America - Again a violin features heavily in the US ambient music. I like all the traditional folk music sounds distinctly American and is all very upbeat. ' Arkansas Traveller' and 'Five Cent Piece' stand out for me.

6) England - Last time I promise really like the Violin in the England ambient music. It takes itself more seriously than Germany and US music but thats not a bad thing. All songs have a very Romantic sound which is appropriate for England. My favourites are 'Greensleeves' and 'Lovely Joan'.

5) Holland - I'll admit Holland wouldn't be on this list as a lot of their music featuring the guitar and flute is a bit mediocre. But for me the Church Choir and Orchestra from the Holland ambient just sounds awesome and this kind of music has been sorely missing from the game. Songs like 'Vox In Rama' just sound so appropriate if you are playing a European Civ like France or England in the Medieval era and there is an emergency to liberate Jerusalem from Arabia. This actually happened to me in a game and this came on i don't know I just love it!

4) Kongo - It's just the happiest sounding music in the game and sounds so different to everything else. I'm not a fan of the Zulu ambient because Vocals are too prominent but Kongo seem to get the perfect balance of Vocals and African instruments. Songs that stand out are 'Salampasu' and 'Mama Munu Dile Late'. Mama is so upbeat that when you listen to it you could have just lost 3 cities in 1 turn and still be smiling.

3) France - The combination of strings and flutes just creates a beautiful sound in the French ambient music. It's all very consistent but the songs are still distinguishable. All the music is also quite sad sounding but that's okay as it doesn't have to be happy to be good, plus the French main theme is very upbeat particularly in the Medieval era. I just love 'Douce Dame Jolie' I never get bored of hearing this track. My favourite single ambient song in the game.

2) Spain - The best part of the Spains ambient music is just the simplicity of it. Where other Civs have an elaborate array of exotic instruments all Spains music features just 1 or 2 Spanish guitars. This just works for the Civ, the guitars just produce beatuiful music instantly recognisable as Spanish. The Passion just comes through in the music particularly in the 'Guitar Improv4' song. Just listen makes you want to pick one up.

1) Persia - One of the main appeals of the game is that with each Civ you go on journey through time. Each Civ gives you a taste of their unique culture and the ambient music plays a big part in doing this. In the ancient era and classical era your ambient music will play predominately as you are in isolation and have not many or any other civs in the game. As time passes ambient music will go and the loud anthems of the industrial and modern era will kick in.

With Persia the ambient music is not forgotten as the Santur features in both Persias ambient music and the main theme even in the industrial and modern era. For me this makes the Persian ambient music the most powerful as the Santur connects your memories in the early eras to your civs achievements at the very end of the game. I just love the sound of this instrument as it can just do everything. It can sound happy and it can sound sad. It can sound aggressive and it can sound gentle. I can't even distinguish one song because it all sounds like one piece of music to me. When you listen to the Persian Ambient and look at the album cover for me it just sums up what this game is all about.

Civ6 Soundtrack.jpg

Geoff Knorr did a fantastic job, and music in games is important to me, especially in one as immersive as civ. Civ6 is no different.

In no particular order, here are a few of my favs:

- Japan (Medieval/Industrial): I admit I am a Japanese music fan, so I love this theme. It is very subdued yet dramatic, and captures the moodiness and grandeur of the shogunate periods very well.

- Cree (Industrial): Not everyone is a fan of the chanting, but I enjoy this theme. It is heartwarming, and if you ever learn how the Cree music was made, it makes you appreciate the themes even more. Go Poundmaker Singers!

- England (Medieval): Captures the rustic folksiness known as medieval England. I loved the Civ5 theme for all of England’s Churchillian grandeur, but this theme harkens to the roots of England’s agrarian past while maintaining zn aura of what it would become.

- Mongols (Medieval): I mean, throat singing? Who could not love this theme? Plus, this version sounds like you are actually riding with the horde. Just awesome.

- America (Medieval): Stephen Foster’s music works well in depicting a lot of Americana, and the actual lyrics to this song and the fiddle music evidenced in the in-game version are very fitting for an early America. Very pretty.

- Zulu: The Xhosa singing and the melody are quite poetic and beautiful. People know the Zulu are warlike, but the themes here showcase Southern Africa to be so much more.

Top Bottom