1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

TopHatPaladin's Civilizations

Discussion in 'Civ5 - New Civilizations' started by TopHatPaladin, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

This is awesome, thanks so much for the help! I'm going to try this soon; will let you know how it goes!

2. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Happy Halloween, lads! I don't have any clever puns or anything today, so I'll just encourage you all to enjoy the Gaels!

jarcast2, tmxk1993110 and 1760s like this.
  3. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Happy December, everyone! For a while, South America has been the only (inhabited) continent where I haven't had a civ— but that's all changed now. I present: the Omagua people of the upper Amazon!

yerbinho, SLGray and 1760s like this.
  4. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Thankyou for making this TopHat! Good to see another S.American civ.

If one were playing a world map game, without any of the community's work, only the Inca and Brazil would be present with afew city states maybe. Definitely an unrepresented area. I'm curious what you'd like to do next.

BTW I like the Celtic split idea, always have. Thanks for that too.

5. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Thanks for the message! Always good to see that there are people still playing Civ V.

Next, I'm probably heading back up to North America— I haven't done a North American civ in ages, and I've noticed a few cultures that I think could make for interesting civs, like the Creek and the Cheyenne. Everything is still in a very early stage of development, though, so really anything could end up happening... :b

6. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

Creek were one of the descendants of the Mound Builder culture(Choctaw and Cherokee being a few others) they were strong until the Creek began to break up. Would be interesting. On the Cheyenne I've read they may have had ancestry in common with the Northern mexican Chichimec tribes. If I'm not mistaken they were the ones to field Dog Soldiers, the UU for the awful stereotypical "Native American" empire.

7. yerbinho

yerbinho Chieftain

Congratulations and thanks for the Omagua! UA looks very simple, but combined with their two uniques (specially the Stolica) makes for a really fun game, stealing resources from your "foes", weakening his starting position, and making yours much more stronger...a very solid civ!

I want to make a note: description on Steam and CivCustomWiki don't say Manioc pit has an engineer slot; but in fact, it has ,along with his special capacity to add yields from improvements sorrounding the city ,and having the base yields and bonuses from regular granary ,makes a very very strong building.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  8. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Thanks again for all the fixes! Only issue that seems to be remaining for me is that as soon as a Fish-Oil Bowman kills a Barbarian I get a CTD... which obviously is quite breaking... is this something you also looked at? Perhaps it has to do with the 'poisoned'' status trying to be applied to an already killed/not-existing unit? Attached the log from CTD if it helps. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Ah, this was a mistake on my part— I didn't intend to include an Engineer slot, but I must have forgotten to remove the slot when copying from other code I've done. I've updated the CFC build to remove the Engineer slot, and will port the fix to Steam as soon as I get the opportunity.

I did some digging in the code and, although I'm not certain what the cause of the crash might be, my current running theory is that— if the barbarian you killed happened to, at the time, be the last barbarian on the map— the game would try to iterate through an empty table of units, which could conceivably cause problems. I've added in a check that should prevent that from happening, but it's a very speculative solution, so I can't promise anything.

If the crash persists, could you let me know if the barbarian you kill was in your territory or not? There's code for the Ket UA that triggers when a unit dies in Ket territory, so it'll be useful to know whether I should be checking that code for possible issues or not.

10. yerbinho

yerbinho Chieftain

Oh, ok! and thanks for quick reply!

11. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Both are not the case: it's not the last barbarian on the map and also killing inside or outside territory does not make a difference (i.e. just killed inside and outside territory without a crash).

However, I feel it might be relating to the number of times that the barbarian unit has been attacked by (and perhaps also has attacked himself) the fish-oil bowman. I notice that if I attack the barbarian unit for the first time with the fish-oil bowman and kill him, there's no problem. But when I shoot him 2, 3 times with the fish-oil bowman and then kill him, then I get the CTD.

12. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Thanks for these fixes for the Ghaznavids! Indeed the issues I reported now work... however there a few others I noticed. Also a few suggestions on text/civpedia:

UA:
    - The production bonus also applies to civilian (settler, ..) and trade units (cargo ship, ..) whereas it mentions only military units.
    - Perhaps mention somewhere that production bonus only triggers once (so not cumulative when multiple trade routes).

UB Saraparda:
    - Button is visible and works!
    - In various texts it's mentioned that the Royal Procession function applies to Great Generals, but any Great Person can use it.
    - Could be mentioned that it's cheaper to build.

UU Ghulam:
    - When starting on pillaged tile, it does not regenerate HP or gain XP.
    - Not mentioned that iron is not required.

13. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

This is definitely possible— the function for assigning the 'poison' promotion is a fairly intensive one, so it's possible that Civ just gets overworked and crashes if it runs several times in quick succession. Unfortunately, if this is the cause, I don't know if there's really a fix (outside of just redesigning the unit)...

Thanks for the info! These bugs should be relatively easy to fix, but I'm very much in the grip of finals right now, so it may be a little bit before I have the time to actually sit down and fix them.

Also, whoops, I evidently forgot to update the in-game text when I was updating the Ghaznavids' design... :crazyeye: I'll make sure to get that sorted out for the next patch too.

Stef09 likes this.
  14. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Really like the synergies in Sokoto design and the civ is much fun to play! Few things I noticed though:

UA:
    - It seems you get GGP not on the amount of faith you spend but on the initial cost of the unit/building. E.g. I had Mandate of Heaven enacted (20% discount) but still got 10 GGP despite the cost dropping from 200 to 160. Would have expected to only get 8 GGP in this example.
    - Is it possible to visualize the additional yields from Citadels, either on terrain or city?

UU Marabout:
    - When it's just 1 turn before a technology fully researched and I expend Marabout on citadel, it doesn't generate any Science (Faith did work). When more turns remaining before technology fully researched, it works perfectly. Attached the logs.
    - Preach at Ribat feels quite powerful and tends to lead to snowballing. When you already generate a lot of faith and still get faith back from Preach at Ribat, you can almost do that every turn. Not sure if this is always the case and/or what solution could be, perhaps slightly lowering the bonus or removing the Faith gained?
    - Visually bit nicer when the notification just shows the amount of Science and Faith. The text "... and ... of current tech" is not so relevant to see in the notification itself imo.
    - Should it in Civpedia be listed under 'religious units'?
    - Perhaps mention bit more explicit that Fort/Citadel needs to be in own/friendly territory? Built fort in neutral territory but could not Preach at Ribat.
    - Bit of specific case: I had another Holy City captured. There were 2 religions present with my own being the minor one. I was not able to purchase Inquisitor (not showing) and only able to purchase a Marabout which belonged to the major religion (from the Holy City). Not sure if all correct, felt a bit strange.

Attached Files:

15. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Thanks for the updates! I'll take a look at everything and see if I can get it sorted.

Finals are still ongoing, so it'll be a little bit before I can do the actual legwork to take care of things, but I'll make sure it's on my radar.

(Edit: ohey this was my 100th message. thats pretty neat)

Stef09 likes this.
  16. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Congrats on your 100th!

No problem, appreciate you taking in the feedback... on that very note :)...:

The Tang is also a really cool civ to play! Found no real bugs but just some formatting and text-stuff:

UA:
    - Would shorten the floating notification of internal trade routes to just the amount and food / production icon, like most of your other civs. Especially with many trade routes is visually bit more appealling imo.
    - Description of the courthouse effect, change to standard format of +1 icon_science Science (instead of icon_science +1 science)

UU Forbidden Guard:
    - Typo in description "Classical Er"

UB Shuyuan Academy:
    - Is it correct that the +2 local happiness can only happen once per city (no matter if city is on sending or receiving end)? Had whole network of internal trade routes and shuyuan academies, and believe the cities all just got +2 local happiness. Perhaps write this bit more explicit in the description, since now it insinuates that if a city both sends and receives it could get twice (or more) the +2 happiness.

17. Chrisy15

Chrisy15 Flower, Beautiful

Suppose that's impressive by this point :larfingtibs:

18. TopHatPaladin

TopHatPaladin Warlord

Thanks for the notes! These should all be fixed on CFC now, and with any luck the fixed build will also hit Steam before too long.

The Shuyuan Academy was intended to only give +2 Local Happiness for sent trade routes, but to allow cities to go beyond that via received trade routes; that wasn't how it was actually happening, due to a coding oversight, but I've fixed that and it should be working as intended now.

It's a different era, I'll take what I can get :b

Stef09 likes this.
  19. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Some notes on Namibia, nothing big but more aesthetic:

UA:
    - The floating text/notification when an enemy unit dies seems to appear double for land units, but then only slightly out of sync, almost like the second is a shadow of the first one. Not gamebreaking but looks bit weird. Don't think it does that for sea units...
    - Would remove the "faith" text from the floating text/notification to just show the faith icon like in your other mods
    - Not entirely sure but believe I also saw a trade unit generating faith.

UB Khauxa!nas:
    - Fort being a source of fresh water only triggers the turn after it's being built. Not sure if possible to trigger immediately?
    - Citadel bombard target button is showing when there's no enemy in sight. If possible only show when enemy in range?
    - When hovering over Citadel bombard target button it's mentioning "click on this to have the city perform a ranged attack". Instead of City make it Citadel?
    - When bombarding, it's showing an archer firing and then "your Archer bombarded...". Ideally show City bombard animation and "your Citadel bombarded..."

Other:
    - The decision "Crack down on Secessionists" has a TXT_KEY error when hovering over the "locked" button.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
  20. Stef09

Stef09 Warlord

Also some on Northern Yuan:

UA:
    - New unit in conquered city only gets 2 moves out of 3 (2/3) in first turn; second turn is 3/3. See screenshot and logs.

UU Huihui Pao:
    - When selecting button "chop down forest", it only instantly removes the forest and then ends turn with no option to attack anymore. Next turn it starts as setup, but that doesn't seem too beneficial since you basically lose a turn. How should this work? See logs.
    - The "spare wood expended" text shows in some situations where not necessarily relevant (like when defending, after a bombard many turns later from the chop down forest action, also in other game when I just met Northern Yuan and saw this text floating over unexplored terrain). What would be the value of showing this; does the trait provide extra bonus? Otherwise not sure if it's needed to keep in.

UU Chongzu:
    - Seen the type of unit, graphics, description, etc. it feels more appropriate to have this replace the Musketman instead of the Lancer. Also, since now you get both the Musketman and Chongzu at same tech, and you will never build Musketman anymore. Lancer also already has many promotions which makes expending it really too powerful I feel. Perhaps make Musketman replacement with +1 extra movement or -10% fear or something.
    - You're able to expend the unit in a city when constructing a building, but then the unit disappears and nothing happens. Possible to block this action when not constructing a military unit?
    - When expending for a unit, there may be residual production that then becomes available for buildings a.o. too. Either restrict this to just military units or avoid any residual production?

Attached Files: