Tornado in London

[pedant]That song was a B-side to a runner-up in a Song for Europe (Norway I think)[/pedant]
Ireland actually. Shows how much you know about Eurovision :rolleyes:

And for a pedant, you're mighty sloppy with your application of brackets. :shake:
Anyway, tornados, terrible destructive things
Quoted for trutherymongeringness.

From sunny to tornado to sunny again in less than 30 minutes?
Yeah, it's possible. Out here in the midwest we get some fast moving thunderstorms, and it can be sunny at 4:00, (while under a tornado watch), have the storm roll through at 4:30, and back to sun by 5:00.

Still, I'd rather deal with tornados than an earthquake. You can at least see the tornado coming.

The UK apparently gets 33 tornadoes a year on average. It's just if they hit London that they get noticed....

Also, according to TORRO,

"the United Kingdom actually has the highest frequency of reported tornadoes per unit area in the world".

I rather suspect this might be a combination of being so densely populated compared to, say, Kansas, and the fact that in the Mid-West nobody would bother to report the things. Even so, it's a curious statistic.

The UK apparently gets 33 tornadoes a year on average. It's just if they hit London that they get noticed....

"the United Kingdom actually has the highest frequency of reported tornadoes per unit area in the world".

I rather suspect this might be a combination of being so densely populated compared to, say, Kansas, and the fact that in the Mid-West nobody would bother to report the things. Even so, it's a curious statistic.

I think it might also be due to the fact that they are class 1 sized or 0, the ones in the US tend to be from 1-5, and they're far more devastaing. Ours are pretty much lame ducks.

Kinda odd for a Tornado in England... :hmm:

Wonder what's next on the crazy weather list... :p

Tornadoes are for sissy, experience a earthquake (even survive it, if possible), then you can join the club of the 'kewl' people. I guess.

Seriously though, i had the misforturne to experience a nasty tornado around 10 years ago near Brest (western tip of Britanny). Scary enough for my taste. And you guys says its common where you live? Gee, i couldn't sleep if its the case. I was watching a fictional documentary about a tornado hitting Dallas, it was filled with huge tornado caught on tape. Yep, scary. :eek:

A earthquake sound more scary though, where can you hide if it happens when you are at home?

I've been in an F4 tornado (Birmingham, Alabama, Apr. 8, 1998), a category 3 Hurricane (Ivan, Mobile, Alabama, Sep. 15-16, 2004), and now that I live in California, a few earthquakes of at least magnitude 5.0 centered as close as 3 miles away. Of the 3, tornadoes are the worst, IMHO.

It's a misleading statistic. It compares the entire United States to the entire United Kingdom. Mississippi and the UK are roughly the same size, but look at the 2005 tornado frequency map for Mississippi:
Lest you think, "that's only one year"...

Top Bottom