Toroid map possibility

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Eurik, Dec 16, 2016.

?

Should the toroid map option return to Civlization?

1. Yes (I will play this option)

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. I don't care (others or I may or may not play this option)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. I don't know (I never played this option and I can't imagine how it would be)

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. No (nobody should be allowed to play this option)

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

Civilization IV had the option to play toroid maps, connecting not only left to right, but also top to bottom.

Discussing it somewhere else I got the impression of being the only one liking this option. Time to verify or falsify that impression.

Should the toroid map option return to Civlization?

2. Tdot1

Tdot1 Chieftain

Can you go into more detail what a Toroid map would be like ?

3. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

It allows you to wrap around north/south and east /west. It sounds sensible until you consider the north/south poles. It does add a different perspective to playing the map
    I will never play this option again but really am happy if others do but there is no decent voting option that says that

4. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

I should have made poll differently. Civ IV BtS had three options: Flat, Cylinder and Toroid. I should have asked to choose between these three. I might do this later on.

Victoria explained propperly. Civ IV BtS would generate one pole. But if it would generate two poles on the map it would become more earth-like.

5. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

But if you made it earth like, with two poles separated by an entire hemisphere, you couldn't teleport from the North to the South Pole, which is apparently what people like about a toroid map -- go north on the map and pop out in the south.

6. Eurik

Eurik Chieftain

Yeah, I made thinking mistake. Math is not my thing. It is just how you want to play it. I prefer toroid with one pole over cylinder or flat with two poles but with hard borders. One of the beauties of Civ IV was that the player had so many options of how he wanted to play.

7. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Many of the early Final Fantasy games have a toroid world map (for technical reasons).

If any of you played an early Final Fantasy game, then you would understand the concept of a toroid world map better.

8. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

You do not have to play final fantasy, it is as difficult as described.