ToT crashing :(

Fairline

Emperor
Hi All

I just tried to start ToT after a long hiatus and the game hangs on startup. The game loads the main screen and freezes without ctd, and doesn't recover after leaving it for 5 or 10 minutes. It was working fine maybe 6 months ago on the same computer. I've tried copying from my external drive 'safe' copy of ToT to a new install location but the same thing happens. I'm on win 10 64.

Has anyone had this problem? Has there been a known problem with a recent windows upgrade?

I

Hi Fairline,

I have tried to run ToT on my main computer, which runs on Windows 10, but whenever I try to play a scenario on it, it's performance tends to lag, i.e. it's takes a second or two to select a unit and the same for it to move from tile to tile. Therefore, I haven't been able to truly successfully run ToT on my Windows 10 computer as of yet.

Fortunately, I still have an older computer which runs on Windows 7 and the game runs fine on it.

I believe Patine is able to run ToT on Windons 10. Perhaps he may be able to help.

Hi All

I just tried to start ToT after a long hiatus and the game hangs on startup. The game loads the main screen and freezes without ctd, and doesn't recover after leaving it for 5 or 10 minutes. It was working fine maybe 6 months ago on the same computer. I've tried copying from my external drive 'safe' copy of ToT to a new install location but the same thing happens. I'm on win 10 64.

Has anyone had this problem? Has there been a known problem with a recent windows upgrade?

I
There's something on the Tech Support sub-forum (the one right under the Scenario League on the list of sub-forums) that I was following. Among the major things were:
-You MUST install the game in it's own folder directly in your HD folder, not within the Program Files (x86) or any other Windows-default-created folder (like Program Files proper, and certainly not the Windows folder).
-Do not install both ToTPP and the MastermindX path in the same installation, only one (I'd advise ToTPP). Do install the standard patch from MPS, though.
-If ToTPP is installed, the no CD-feature is MANDATORY (that is, you must NOT have the game CD-ROM in your computer while playing).

Those are three big kickers that got me early on. Give those a try a first.

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

Patine, I have ToT on my HD in a location outside of Program Files (x86). I haven't installed ToT on a comp in a long time - I just copy a version I have on an external drive which is patched and has ToTPP. What's MastermindX?

I've had the game working on this PC with Win10 for a couple of years without any major issues; something has occured either as a result of a recent windows patch or some other software I have patching itself and buggering up ToT I guess. Thanks anyway for the detailed reply.

Dunno about you, but I have that issue with ToT on my win7 but I just reboot and it works fine.

Hi All

I just checked on fresh installed Windows 10 x64 1709 (latest Fall Creators Update) on virtual machine. And Civ2ToT with ToTPP v0.14 works fine. All I have to do is just: 1) turn on legacy component DirectPlay; 2) install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) (for ToTPP).

Fairline,
what version of Windows 10 update (Win+R, type "winver") and ToTPP (Menu-About) do you have?

I have Win 10 Version 1703 (OS build 15063.674)

ToTp v 0.13

Is there a reliable guide for turning on DirectPlay? What are the implications for other more modern games of doing this?

Thanks for your response :)

I have Win 10 Version 1703 (OS build 15063.674)
ToTp v 0.13
Well, I checked that combination of versions too, and still game is starting normally. I also tried to disable DirectPlay but game even didn't start, it crashed immediately with error 0xc0000022. But you say that game starts to main screen and freezes. So you do see main game menu. This is a very strange case.

I still have crazy idea about Game Explorer. But I believe it is not valid for Windows 10 anymore. But you can try. Just try to rename the file CIV2.EXE to something different like CIV2_.EXE and run. If it does not help then rename the file back.

Also some common recommendations:
check that game is not running in compatibility mode
check that legacy component DirectPlay is enabled
check Antivirus/Firewall options
check that game files are not broken and of valid version (ToT v1.1.0)

In my experience latest 32-bit versions of Civilization 2 (MGE and ToT) run without any problem on systems from Windows 98 to Windows 10. All you have to care about on modern OS is 64-bit patch (for 64bit OS only) and DirectPlay (for Win10 only). Also if you have CD and want to watch videos then you have to enable/install Indeo 4 (or 5) codec. That's all. No compatibility modes, no virtual machines.

Is there a reliable guide for turning on DirectPlay?

It was mentioned here
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...tting-civ-ii-mge-to-run-in-windows-10.622306/
Next, press [Windows key] + X, click apps and features. In the search box, type "turn windows features on or off". Select that. In the box that appears, expand "Legacy Components"; enable that and "DirectPlay" which is under Legacy Components.

What are the implications for other more modern games of doing this?
I don't know about any consequences of this. You could always turn it off if there are some issues.

P.S. (To moderators) I believe that this topic could be moved to Technical Support sub-forum.

Thanks again for your input FoxAhead.

It turns out I already have DirectPlay turned on. I've tried running both in compaitibility mode and without and I've tried running with my antivirus and firewall turned off.

Seems I'm out of luck here!

Anti-Virus software might be a problem..
I had something similar happen with Fallout 4 on my old computer, adding an exception windows defender solved it.
Some antivirus programs seem to have an annoying tendency to detect some games as viruses.

Anti-Virus software might be a problem..
I had something similar happen with Fallout 4 on my old computer, adding an exception windows defender solved it.
Some antivirus programs seem to have an annoying tendency to detect some games as viruses.
An old friend of mine once described McAfee as being "the worst virus you could put on your computer."

I'm Lazy and just rely on windows defender, plus various specific anti-virus/anti malware kits if needed.(i prefer ones that don't need to be installed) Last thing i want is more crap riunning in the background mucking up my games.

I recently built a new gaming PC with Windows 10. Initially, ToT would not work and because my old Vista machine was still working and hooked up I didn't go through any of the guided. The other day I tried again on the off chance and I received a message about installing Direct X (if my memory serves me correctly) and now everything is working fine.

My only issue, and I had this with my old PC too, is the half-second pause between issuing a move order and the unit actually moving. This sounds trivial but gets frustrating, especially if there are ZOC blockages on the route. I was wondering if there was any way to get things running more smoothly?

Fixed! My PC did a Windows update last night and ToT is playable again. Still don't know what the issue was but its now solved. Thanks for all the suggestions from everybody. :)

Now let's see if I can get mine working again. *knock on fake wood desk*

Top Bottom