[Total Conversion Suggestion] - A new Dawn

Thaelmann

Chieftain

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

A. Einstein

"A new Dawn"

Concept
The world has weathered it's toughest test yet. Global thermonuclear war eradicated civilization as we know it from the planet. After hundreds of years, your bunker's life support finally fails and you are forced to the surface.

Ideas

- "Barbarians", the remnants of earth's armies, vastly outgun you at the start, with some promotion levels and top tier units. You also start with some high tech units (an infantry and a machine gun maybe), but it's an uphill battle from there.

- "Goody Huts" Remains of destroyed districts with the potential to yield tech & policy boosts from anywhere in the tree. Potential results could include spawning barbarians (Why that got out of fashion, we'll never know) or enabling repairing the district if a city is settled in it's vicinity. It would be nice to have an "expedition" mechanic as in Civ BE - it would take some time to search the rubble. This time should be randomized (between 2-5 turns).

- "City States" Rural areas, being spared the worst of the destruction, house slightly mutated refugees that start right at the bottom of the tech tree and will get eaten by barbarians- unless you help them.

- "Apocalyptic landscape" Before global thermonuclear war, the earth was a fairly densely settled place. Not anymore. Centered around the ruins of former cities you will find pillaged, irradiated or even occasionally intact improvements. You will not be able to repair higher tier improvements without the required tech, and radiation stays put until very late in the game.

Optional: Add steampunk options to the tech tree. Because I really miss my Zeppelins.

Request for Comment

Yes, this is my very first post here, although I've been playing Civ since the first installation. (It took me a day to get the proper mouse driver working on my 386 back in the previous Millennium.)

I haven't thought about any mechanics in detail yet, and currently have no idea if this can actually be implemented with the tools currently available. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Top Bottom