Touch-screen playability?

kristopherb

Protective/Charismatic
Lately i've got a new laptop, with a touch-screen.
I started to play a game utilising the touch-screen, selecting units and giving them fortify commands was easy and intuitive, the only problem I had was the unit movement, not too say it was impossible, just awkward. When playing with a mouse you have right button which moves the selected units to the tile and with a touch-screen on the otherhand... has no right mouse button.

Can anyone think of any other problems with the touch-screen on civ4
Has anyone tried using CIV 4 using the their touch-screen?
Is there any way to get round the movement issue outlined above?
Tablet import of Civ 4 anyone?

I would suspect that there is a list, either built into the OS or on the website for the OS, that you can access, which will tell what all the available gestures are. Perhaps one of them emulates a right click.

You can move with the number pad, but I don't know if your laptop has one.

Gets annoying at Railroad where you have to tap the button ten times though, in which case you're better off using the 'Move' command.

You can move with the number pad, but I don't know if your laptop has one.

Gets annoying at Railroad where you have to tap the button ten times though, in which case you're better off using the 'Move' command.

I only used the number pad in the tutorial, I forgot you could use it.

I would suspect that there is a list, either built into the OS or on the website for the OS, that you can access, which will tell what all the available gestures are. Perhaps one of them emulates a right click.

I shall have a look. Though what ever gesture it is it won't be as intuitive as dragging the units to the point.

Hmnn, there's just something that feels wrong by not playing with a mouse. Throws off my Civ groove.

I like a nice big trackball. Don't care for a mouse. Detest touch pad and touch screen!

I like a nice big trackball. Don't care for a mouse. Detest touch pad and touch screen!

Another track ball user!

I had such a hard time finding a track ball last time I needed a new one that I was thinking I might be the only one.

Interesting. I've never used one before. How is it on game play?

A track ball is functionally just like a mouse. It just does with small movements of a finger what you do by shoving a mouse around your desk using arm movements. The only thing I ever found that my trackball is not good for is playing minesweeper.

I think there's an option somehwere that changes the right button functionality in civ. I can't remember where it is though (might be in the options screen or hidden somewhere in the ini file).

The one that I use is from Kensington. It has an optical trackball the same size as a billiard ball plus four large programable buttons, as well as a scroll ring that corresponds to a mouse scroll wheel. It is very nice to use. Fine control is easy since you are moving the ball with your fingers only. I can keep my thumb on the button that I set for left clicking while doing that and my pinky on the one for right clicking. I tried a couple of trackballs with smaller balls but I did not like them anywhere near as much as this big one. It may not work as well on games where reaction time is important since you don't have as much distance movement with each motion of the ball as you do on a mouse, which would slow you down. I don't like those sorts of games so it does not matter to me. The precision of the motion and comfort of my hand and arm position are more important to me.

Another track ball user!

I had such a hard time finding a track ball last time I needed a new one that I was thinking I might be the only one.

I got mine from B&H Photo. They have several different models. The one that I got is called the Kensington Pro Expert Mouse USB but it is a trackball. The model that I have is for Mac but they also have models for Windows. The one that I got might also have software for Windows, I don't know. It does work in my system for Windows 7 but the Windows 7 computer is a virtual computer running inside the Mac OS.

I have a remote PC software thingie which allows me to play Civ remotely on my tablet in bed.

Like vincentz says, you have to hold your finger on the screen for right click. Maybe touch enabled PCs have the same function.

Top Bottom