Tourism and Culture Vict. Off

southblade

Chieftain
Hi. First thanks to Gazebo for this excellent mod and to civfanatics for all this years of great content. I play civ since civ2 and read civfanatics since then but this is my first post ever.

So, my idea: since tourism is not a good choice if cultural victory is off maybe tourism could have a slight buff in that case. Units could have a positive modifier to defence and health rate if they are in enemy's land while in war with him depending in the influence level over that civ.

I like playing Terra maps but there's no real benefict for founding late colonies, so maybe removing all victories but domination and playing in big maps with 10 or more civs could be a way to make late cities worth.

Thanks for the welcome :). You think it's enough to make Aestethics worth?

You can think of it like local people helping a foreing army because of cultural influence.

Last edited:
I like the idea of implementing some combat related bonuses/penalties to cultural influence. Nothing huge, but something to simulate the hatred/sympathy of the civilians towards the attacker. Something like -5% defense combat strength for units in enemy territory per influence level the defending country has over attacking country. Attacker could have more healing in enemy territory if they more influence.

I like the idea of implementing some combat related bonuses/penalties to cultural influence. Nothing huge, but something to simulate the hatred/sympathy of the civilians towards the attacker. Something like -5% defense combat strength for units in enemy territory per influence level the defending country has over attacking country. Attacker could have more healing in enemy territory if they more influence.
It's already like this. Check bonuses for influenced civs in the culture view.

If I don't remember wrong you get some minor bonuses from trade with the influenced civ (gold and food), some less turns of rebellion with some less people lost after conquer a city and a few turns less in stablishing a spy in cities. I think it's not enough if culture victory is off but that's only my opinion and make cultural (I mean tourism oriented) civs and strategies unbalanced, but science and city states oriented are still really usefull. I also think you need to disable it in large maps if you want to play later wars. I don't remember using never a Giant Death Robot, for example. Maybe influence civs in ideologies is enough but I don't think it is.

Last edited:
If I don't remember wrong you get some minor bonuses from trade with the influenced civ (gold and food), some less turns of rebellion with some less people lost after conquer a city and a few turns less in stablishing a spy in cities. I think it's not enough if culture victory is off but that's only my opinion and make cultural (I mean tourism oriented) civs and strategies unbalanced, but science and city states oriented are still really usefull. I also think you need to disable it in large maps if you want to play later wars. I don't remember using never a Giant Death Robot, for example. Maybe influence civs in ideologies is enough but I don't think it is.
I'm pretty sure there is a combat penalty too.
You should also disable diplomatic victories if you want to see the giant robot. Though the last time I saw it was pre Historical Events. I couldn't say for last nerfs to cultural victories since it's been a while since my last scientific victory.

yes, the idea is to remove all victories but domination. I feel tourism is not very usefull beyond cultural victory to make tourism oriented civs, behaviours and policies balanced. That's the idea of the post, but I suppose is only a very specific situation.

By the way, if I quote your message, do I get a nested list of quoted and re-quoted posts?

Last edited:
I do think that without cultural victory tourism is fairly worthless. Sure it has some bonuses but they are still pretty minor overall.

That said, I don't think the mod should be trying to balance all of the alternate playstyles. Its hard enough to finish the mod for just the "core gameplay".

I do think that without cultural victory tourism is fairly worthless. Sure it has some bonuses but they are still pretty minor overall.

That said, I don't think the mod should be trying to balance all of the alternate playstyles. Its hard enough to finish the mod for just the "core gameplay".
"pretty minor"
+100000% growth and extra $$$ on your most influenced civilization when trading.

+100000% growth and extra $$$ on your most influenced civilization when trading.

It's only +3% growth, +2 gold, +1 science per level of influence, growth only in the city of origin. At dominant (total tourism doubles culture) you get +15% growth, +10 gold, +5 science.

I'm pretty sure there is a combat penalty too.

There's a mechanich called "Resistance (dominant)" but it depends on the number of capitals you have taken.

Top Bottom