[Vanilla] Tourism help

Carassius

Chieftain
I am losing a culture game because I apparently have no tourism. I am generating lots of culture. I have a few great works - writings and art. I have no wonders.

Game says I have zero tourism. What do I need to do to generate tourism? (I thought having culture and great works would generate tourism.)

Culture is the defense against other civs tourists. So if you are losing you need more culture.
Only if you are going for a tourist (culture) victory do you need tourists.
Tourists are from great works, wonders, landmarks, resorts, parks,
Some Great people help with generating them. Trading and open borders can help
As does discovering sciences that increases tourism like flight and computers

Last edited:
My Great Works window says that I am generating 13 culture and 20 tourism. The Cultural Victory Conditions says that I have 30 tourism per turn and 120.8 culture per turn - which leads to 131 domestic and 3 visiting tourists. How do these numbers work together?

Currently I am dead last in the culture race and in real danger of losing.

Does tourism need time to develop? Adding a great work doesn't seem to have an immediate impact on visiting tourism.

Do you have a screenshot of the culture victory situation? I may be able to explain it better if I can use your numbers

Why isn't Trajan getting more tourists?
20181013153641_1.jpg

Trajan has 9 tourists and needs 222 to win.
Pericles has 60 tourists and need 165 to win
So you are not losing anytime soon but if you are going for a culture victory you are a bit behind.
You may have to declare some wars and reducing the leaders to one small city to win a tourism victory

There is a difference between tourists and tourism. The great works that you have greate tourism (you seem to be making 67 tourism per turn) but only over time will they result in actual tourists.

Are you going for a culture win?

My goal, for this game, is to avoid a culture loss.

I am unclear how great works contribute to tourism. Their effect seems to be delayed. e.g. adding a new work doesn't immediately increase tourism -- it seems to me that there is an element of time involved as well. I would like to understand this better.

Thanks!

When I started this thread, it seemed certain that Pericles would win in a very short time. I started to crank out culture as hard as I could - the screenshot being taken quite a few turns after the thread was started. I am no longer worried about losing this game to Pericles.

The article was very useful, a bit convoluted to read, but very useful. The most useful bit for me is that Tourism is accumulated over time. And, therefore, the earlier that Culture is gained, the more effective it will be for producing Tourism.

Thank you for the help!

When I started this thread, it seemed certain that Pericles would win in a very short time.

The AI's ability to look like it's going to pull off a cultural victory and then fail to do so is very high. In the test games I ran, it was quite common for the leading tourism AI (often not the same as the leading cultural AI) to begin to close the gap on the domestic tourist leader and you think "ah ha, in X turns they'll have this won." Soon after, you notice they're stagnating, and not long after that, the amount of domestic tourists generated by one or more other AIs begins to outstrip their foreign tourism again, and they fall further and further away from a cultural victory.

It's not a lot different with science victories, except that those have absolute objectives rather than relative ones, so eventually one AI must win one if the player hasn't. I see comments quite often from people who think they need to declare war on the science leader or use Spies to disrupt their Spaceports to keep them from cruising to victory. In reality, more often than not the AI will prevent itself from cruising to victory.

Top Bottom