Tourism Pressure Mechanics and Formula | Tourism per Turn Sent/Exported to Other Civs

CaPtivE

Chieftain
I) First things first:

* I’m still new to Civilization (barely played 3 games so far), so the environmental factors introduced in Gathering Storm would be too much for me to handle at this point. Hence, the calculations and reasoning provided in this thread are based on the Rise & Fall expansion, any changes in Gathering Storm? (Please let me know). Did I make a mistake somewhere? It would be nice if you could also test my formulas with your own data. At the end of this post I provide a real example from my own game, showing an exact match for the “tourism exported per turn” (aka tourism pressure) as displayed in the culture section of the in-game world rankings screen. In a separate thread, I’ll also share an Excel file (with description), in which I attempt to link everything together and automate the Maths involved.

* There are 2 types of tourism modifiers: 1) Internal modifiers, determine the amount of tourism that you locally produce in your empire (they have a broad/general influence that is independent from other civs), e.g. the computers tech. Some internal modifiers apply to overall (total) produced tourism, others apply only to a certain type of tourism (e.g. from great works of art). 2) External modifiers determine how much/what percentage of the tourism that you locally produce (including internal modifiers), is actually being sent/exported to each of the other civs in the game (they have civ-specific influence, depending on each civ), e.g. having a trade route with a civ.

1) Internal modifiers are compounded, i.e. if you have “n” relevant internal modifiers, you should multiply the raw number (of a certain type of tourism or overall tourism) by the product of (1+Mi) {i =1, 2, 3,…,n}. For example if you have one internal modifier of 100% to overall tourism and another internal modifier of 50% to overall tourism (e.g. i=2 here), then your total overall tourism (produced) = raw overall tourism*(1+M1)*(1+M2) = raw overall tourism*(1+100%)*(1+50%).

2) On the other hand, external modifiers are summed, e.g. for simplicity assume there’s no penalty for religious tourism, then the exported tourism to a civ (aka tourism pressure) = total overall tourism produced locally (including internal modifiers) * (1+sum of external modifiers that apply to that civ). More formally, exported tourism = produced tourism (including internal modifiers) * [1+sum(Mi)] {i=1, 2, 3,…,n}. For example, suppose I have an international trade route with another civ (M1 = 25%) and I also have the online communities policy slotted (M2 = 50%), then the amount of tourism that I’ll be sending to this civ (aka tourism pressure) = produced tourism (including internal modifiers) * (1+M1+M2) = produced tourism (including internal modifiers) * (1+25%+50%).

* The value of the overall tourism that you locally produce is readily displayed in-game and already includes the effect of all internal modifiers. This number is shown on top, next to the other yields. This saves you the trouble of having to manually calculate the tourism from each source and apply any relevant internal modifiers. However, if there’s a penalty to exported religious tourism (e.g. -50% for “different religions” or/and -50% for “enlightenment”) then you’ll have to manually calculate the amount of religious tourism that you locally produce (including relevant internal modifiers, if any). Religious tourism (including internal modifiers) = tourism from holy city (including relevant internal modifiers) + tourism from relics (including relevant internal modifiers). The raw tourism (without modifiers) from having a holy city is 8 per turn, the raw tourism from each relic is also 8 per turn (unless the relic is placed in St. Basel’s Cathedral, in which case it will provide 16 per turn on a “raw” basis). Note that religious art is NOT considered as religious tourism, only the relics and the “holy city” should be accounted for (including relevant internal modifiers).

I have read somewhere that the "different religions" penalty only applies if you had founded your own religion. Is it true though? Or does this penalty apply just for having different religions, whether or not you founded your own religion? This I haven't tested. Remember that having the Cristo Redentor wonder would offset the 50% enlightenment penalty to religious tourism (if present).

* Total number of domestic tourists “DT” accumulated = Total accumulated culture/100 à DT per turn (this can be a fraction) = culture per turn/100. Total number of foreign tourists “FT” accumulated from this civ = Total accumulated tourism exported to this civ/[200*(number of opponents at game start + 1)] à FT per turn from this civ (this can be a fraction) = tourism per turn exported to this civ/[200*(number of opponents at game start + 1)].

* The “civ-specific” external modifiers I’ve noticed are (did I miss any?): Having a trade route (+25%), online communities policy (+50% if there’s a trade route), certain great merchants (each give +25% if there’s a trade route), open borders (+25%), different governments (-x% depending on the government types, see the Excel file for details). Note that the trade route boost to tourism will also apply even if it’s only the other civ that established a trade route to your empire.

When there’s a penalty to religious tourism, it should be accounted for (deducted from total produced tourism) BEFORE applying the external modifiers. This penalty could be due to different religions (-50% to religious tourism only) or/and enlightenment (-50% to religious tourism only, neglected if you have the Cristo Redentor Wonder).

II) Summary and Formulas:

* In what follows below, “Tourism Pressure” = the amount of tourism per turn being sent/exported to a particular civ. “Produced Tourism” = the overall (i.e. total) tourism per turn being locally produced in your empire (including internal modifiers), this is readily displayed in-game, on top next to the other yields. “Religious Tourism” (needs to be calculated manually) = the total amount of religious tourism per turn being locally produced in your empire (including internal modifiers) = tourism from holy city (including relevant internal modifiers) + tourism from relics (including relevant internal modifiers). By “applicable” external modifiers, I refer to those that do indeed apply to this or that SPECIFIC civ (e.g. having open borders with a certain civ).

The general formula is (always ROUNDED DOWN):

Tourism Pressure = (Produced Tourism - Religious Tourism Penalty) * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

i) If there’s no penalty to religious tourism:

Tourism Pressure = Produced Tourism * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

If there aren’t any applicable external modifiers to tourism exported/sent towards a certain civ, then the tourism pressure in this case will simply be equal to the amount of tourism that you locally produce in your empire.

ii) If there’s only one type of penalty to religious tourism (i.e. either enlightenment or different religions):

Tourism Pressure = (Produced Tourism - 0.5*Religious Tourism) * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

As you can see, the religious tourism penalty must be accounted for, BEFORE applying the external modifiers.

iii) If there’s two types of penalties to religious tourism (i.e. both enlightenment and different religions):

Tourism Pressure = (Produced Tourism - 0.75*Religious Tourism) * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

The first penalty will be 0.5*religious tourism, the second penalty will be 0.5*(0.5*religious tourism), meaning it applies to the already-reduced religious tourism. So, the total religious tourism penalty will be equal to the sum of these two individual penalties à here we’ll have that the penalty to religious tourism = religious tourism * (0.5 + 0.5^2) = religious tourism * (0.5 + 0.25) = religious tourism*0.75.

III) Example:

The example provided below (screenshots attached) is from a recent game of mine, where I’m playing as Amanitore (Nubia). My opponents are Tamar (Georgia), Fred (Germany), Saladin (Arabia), Pedro II (Brazil) and Alexander (Macedon), but the latter was eliminated early on so we’re left with 4 opponents.

The amount of tourism I locally produce per turn (overall), is readily displayed next to the other yields = 950. This already includes all internal modifiers.

The amount of religious tourism that I produce has to be calculated manually as illustrated (see screenshot): I have founded a religion, so I have a “holy city”. This provides 8 religious tourism per turn on a raw basis. I have researched the computers tech, which doubles all tourism output from any source. Hence when my internal modifiers are included, the holy city generates 16 (8*2) religious tourism per turn. Relics also provide 8 religious tourism per turn on a raw basis (per relic) à 16 (8*2) per relic due to having the “computers tech” internal modifier. I have 4 relics stored in my empire (see screenshot) so in total my relics generate 4*16 = 64 religious tourism per turn. Total religious tourism = tourism from holy city + tourism from relics = 16 + 64 = 80 religious tourism per turn.

Case i), Tamar, no penalty to religious tourism, -21% government modifier, +25% for open borders, +25% for having a trade route (regardless who sent the trader to whom).

Tourism produced in my empire = 950; no penalty to religious tourism (so ignore religious tourism here). Sum of external modifiers = 25% + 25% - 21% = 29%.

Tourism pressure towards Tamar = Produced Tourism * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

= 950*(1+29%) = 950*1.29 = 1225.5, rounded down to 1225. This is an exact match with the number displayed in-game (check screenshot). The figures regarding the other civ will also be an exact match (see below).

With Pedro II we have roughly the same conditions, no penalty to religious tourism, -12% government modifier, +25% for having a trade route. Sum of external modifiers = 25% - 12% = 13%.

Tourism pressure towards Pedro II = 950*(1+13%) = 950*1.13 = 1073.5, rounded down to 1073.

Case ii), Fred, one type of penalty to religious tourism (-50% for enlightenment), -18% government modifier, +25% for having a trade route. Sum of external modifiers = 25% - 18% = 7%. Religious tourism in my empire = 80.

Tourism Pressure towards Fred = (Produced Tourism - 0.5*Religious Tourism) * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

= (950 - 0.5*80) * (1+7%) = (950 - 40) * (1.07) = 910*1.07 = 973.7, rounded down to 973.

Case iii), Saladin, two types of penalties to religious tourism (-50% for enlightenment; -50% for different religions), -18% government modifier, +25% for having a trade route. Sum of external modifiers = 25% - 18% = 7%.

Tourism Pressure towards Saladin = (Produced Tourism - 0.75*Religious Tourism) * (1+sum of applicable external modifiers)

= (950 - 0.75*80) * (1+7%) = (950 - 60) * (1.07) = 890*1.07 = 952.3, rounded down to 952.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

• Ex Tourism Pressure.png
    Ex Tourism Pressure.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 167
  • Ex Religious Tourism.png
    Ex Religious Tourism.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 149
Snapshot of some of the results/output that the Excel file generates

Attachments

• Excel Graphs.png
    Excel Graphs.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 139
Different religions affect you only if you founded, yes.
Are you aware that the tourists you get from Nubia are removed from their domestic total?
Are you aware of the difference to the way rock bands affect tourism?
Are you aware the government multipliers are deprecated?
Do amenities affect tourism?
You have done well with your discoveries... you sure you just want to stick with external and internal or should you break internal into item calculation, city calculation, civ calculation, target application? ... are you really saying the tourism bonus for computers and environmentalism are compounded... I have not checked this but it would be crappy if they were.

Changes with R&F
Computers now only provides 25% others add extra.
Government modifiers are different now
Rock bands , ski slopes and card changes (musicians)
Tourism Governor change
The fundamental calculations have not changed (including the tourism_to_move_tourist=200 which was 150 in vanilla)
Space tourism (-20%) not sure how this external shows itself.)

Last edited:
Different religions affect you only if you founded, yes.
Are you aware that the tourists you get from Nubia are removed from their domestic total?
Are you aware of the difference to the way rock bands affect tourism?
Are you aware the government multipliers are deprecated?
Do amenities affect tourism?
You have done well with your discoveries... you sure you just want to stick with external and internal or should you break internal into item calculation, city calculation, civ calculation, target application? ... are you really saying the tourism bonus for computers and environmentalism are compounded... I have not checked this but it would be crappy if they were.

Changes with R&F
Computers now only provides 25% others add extra.
Government modifiers are different now
Rock bands , ski slopes and card changes (musicians)
Tourism Governor change
The fundamental calculations have not changed (including the tourism_to_move_tourist=200 which was 150 in vanilla)

I am playing as Nubia. But yea I am aware that when you get 1 FT from a civ, it's deducted from their DT. This is factored in my Excel file.
There's no rock bands in Rise & Fall.
Government multipliers are deprecated? What does it mean exactly?
I don't think amenities affect tourism. Haven't found any evidence for that. Am I mistaken?
"Environmentalism" doesn't exist in Rise & Fall.

Thanks for the info regarding updates in Gathering Storm. I'll sure take that into account once I go beyond Rise & Fall.

You have done well with your discoveries... you sure you just want to stick with external and internal or should you break internal into item calculation, city calculation, civ calculation, target application?

Tourism Governor change

Or did you mean that as Nubia you lose 1 DT for every FT you make? they didn't mention anything like that, mostly boosts to district-building speed and long ranged units.

Thank you, I did some research and used quite a few sources (including you @Victoria ), I applied/tested things in my own game and tried to "summarize" everything I've learned. I focused on EXPORTED tourism and things like how was the religious penalty accounted for (e.g. religious art is NOT part of religious tourism).
Internal modifiers are just too many and often too specific (e.g. boosts to tourism from arts), it would take lots of manual work to gather input data to feed the "program". Plus the overall tourism produced is already displayed and includes all internal modifiers, and since they are compounded we already understand the Maths behind (like the exact equations are known already). I've read that as Teddy (America) things become more complicated, for civs that have reached the modern era, we'd need city-specific tourism info (reports) and then things can be logically worked-out.

Tourism Governor change? You mean like with Reyna's ability? That would be an internal modifier.

What about space tourism? Seems cool, was it there in Rise & Fall?

Top Bottom