Toyota will be the world's #1 carmaker in 2007

Are Toyota's really that flimsy ? I never owned one, so I can't comment on Toyota.

Flimsy "feeling". The doors feel so light and flimsy compared to American cars, which feel heavier and more solid, for one example. Just my personal opinion really.

Flimsy "feeling". The doors feel so light and flimsy compared to American cars, which feel heavier and more solid, for one example. Just my personal opinion really.

Ahh...I see. I do notice alot of American cars seem to to have a much heavier curb weight than their Japanese "equivalent", including the peformance oriented ones.
I mean, look at the SRT-8 weight !
06 SRT-8 Chargers weigh in at an obese 4160lbs.
That's a really heavy car considering it's supposed to be performance oriented.

Toyota has followed a shrewd business strategy, including a well-timed push into environmentally friendly technologies (70% of hybrids). Their market share is dominant in Japan and US markets however they only have 2-4% in the BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India and China). This will be a lower margin business because they won't be selling as many high margin Lexus' as their low margin compacts. Hyundai is the company to look out for. They've made huge inroads into the global market and have made good strides on quality.

For the numbers....Toyota's revenues were $173mm in 05 and GM's were 192mm however Toyota's market cap was ~234mm and GM's only ~16.7mm

I don't care who is #1 in the world, but it's too bad that GM's superior cars are losing to inferior, flimsy Toyotas.

hahaha...you dont have winter . A GM car in canadian winters is worthless...they rust as fast as St.Louis Blues losing games. Toyota dont have to offer a 160,000 km garantee like GM because you know you'll have no problem with a Toyota until its 160K km.

Sure the door feel lighter if you compare a Yaris to a Lincoln Continental...but the Cavalier and Neon were just the worst car ever. oh and the Montana...My friend scrapped it for 500$ with 70,000 km last year...

Strange you say that as Toyotas reliability and built quality are top notch. If you realy want flimsy climb into a new Corvette C6. I know its all about personal "feel" like you said but when you get down to the nuts and bolts American cars fair poorly. That is on a turn around though as is gas mileage in passenger cars. Two big factors to American car companies (there is only two Diamler/Crysler is a German company) current down fall are over inflated union packages and building those stupid SUVs instead of focusing on smaller cars.

I know what you mean; I can always tell what type of car someone had growing up, based on how hard they slam the cardoor. I often have to ask passengers to close my Toyota doors more gently than they do, so that the doors don't get wrecked.

I baby my car, though.

dear god, thank you! i bought some toyota stocks 2 months ago and its risen up 10% by now :D

Lots of Fords are made in Europe. The old mondeo, not sure about the new one, was famed as the "European Car" because all of the components were made in factories around Europe.

I once heard an auto analyst say that "the problem with GM is that they make cheap, boring, uninspired cars... And if you actually WANT a cheap, boring, uninspired car then the Japanese manufacturers do it better"

I once heard an auto analyst say that "the problem with GM is that they make cheap, boring, uninspired cars... And if you actually WANT a cheap, boring, uninspired car then the Japanese manufacturers do it better"

Bless that "auto analyst", whatever that is. A person that examines himself or something?

Umm...guess who bought a Toyota this year:rolleyes:

Yep me, a 2003 Toyota Corolla S. I love it! good gas mileage...

But my favorite brand of vehicle is Dodge...:D

Bless that "auto analyst", whatever that is. A person that examines himself or something?

:)

I guess the correct term is "automobile industry analyst".

hahaha...you dont have winter . A GM car in canadian winters is worthless...they rust as fast as St.Louis Blues losing games. Toyota dont have to offer a 160,000 km garantee like GM because you know you'll have no problem with a Toyota until its 160K km.

Sure the door feel lighter if you compare a Yaris to a Lincoln Continental...but the Cavalier and Neon were just the worst car ever. oh and the Montana...My friend scrapped it for 500$ with 70,000 km last year...

Rustproofing for any new car should be mandatory... Japanese cars have had a firm reputation of rusting faster than any other (except american cars) in finnish winters, but that changed in the mid 90's. I don't know who has had my current corolla before me but he has clearly neglected the car. I've already replaced the left skirt, patched the back left wheel casing and the floor under the back seat and there's still work to be done. Mechanical parts are however in good condition. 300 000km and counting...

Rustproofing for any new car should be mandatory... Japanese cars have had a firm reputation of rusting faster than any other (except american cars) in finnish winters, but that changed in the mid 90's. I don't know who has had my current corolla before me but he has clearly neglected the car. I've already replaced the left skirt, patched the back left wheel casing and the floor under the back seat and there's still work to be done. Mechanical parts are however in good condition. 300 000km and counting...
sure they look more rusted because 1990 toyotas are still seen in the streets as GM and Ford from those year are at the scrap yard since a few years now...

Good, they deserve it. Toyota has been making quality cars very competitively for a while. Right now I own a 1996 Lexus ES300, and love it to death.

Top Bottom