1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade...copper for 2gpt from Russia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by robboo, May 27, 2006.

1. robboo

robboo Deity

Last TC, this trade occurred with instructiosn to do so. There fore...do we want this trade to continue or should I kill it as soon as we can.

You can argue on the merits( or lack ) of the trade or the simply say becasue it was an "illegal" trade we should cancel it despite it beingan OK trade.

Personally..it was illegal and should be canceled as a reminder to DP not to make trades that are not in the instructions.

2. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

The trade is: our copper (we don't need it) against some money.
    We need money (who doesn't?) so we should keep it until we find a better deal somewhere. I don't see what's bad about the trade.

3. Sweetacshon

Sweetacshon In the foetal position

Granted, it was illegal, and could be cancelled, however, if the trade would have happened in a few turns anyway, it seems silly to cancel it. Personally, I think 2 gpt is a miserable amount, but we are quite poor at this stage.

4. Rihiter

Rihiter Lord of War

2gp was max what we could get for copper when I started this trade. And we don't need copper at the moment. We'll be able to cancel this trade in 3 turns. Then we can change it to a more profitable trade ( for more money, or something else ). But remember that we need all the money we can get.

5. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

Does Russia have iron? If they have, then trading away copper doesn't matter at all.

6. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

gives them a bonus if they want to build such things, colossus etc :)

7. Swissempire

Swissempire Poet Jester

Keep the trade, f@#$ the law;)

ANARCHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiddng, but keep the trade.

8. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I'll admit, the trade was a big :eek: for me to begin with. Then I realized that giving copper doesn't matter yet because Russia has no use for it.

So our trade relations are fair and forthright, and we'll get a +1 on attitude, and we can use the 2gpt for a while. I suggest the following.

After it's ok to cancel the trade, look at what Russia has. If they have more gpt or a resource we need, then consider cancelling and renegotiating.

If they get a tech which allows copper to be useful, then cancel the deal.

BTW the SOS now needs to keep track of what demands we might get to cancel this trade, and how to respond to those demands.

By the traditional definition of instructions, this was a clear violation. However, the language of the instructions was ever so slightly unclear, and the DP is not a native English speaker, or at least claims to not be.

9. robboo

robboo Deity

I agree we should keep it for the 10 turn minimum but renegotiate after the next TC. That way we dont have to worry about a 3 turn turn chat.

Dave...the SOS...unsure of what you mean exactly. Is that the cancel with Russia( or germany ) requests teh AI makes. If so I will poll our people for the next TC on who they prefer out of the 2.

10. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Exactly -- if Germany asks us to stop trading with Russia, do we break the deal and tick off Russia, or refuse the request and tick off Germany?

11. Rihiter

Rihiter Lord of War

I think that we don't need to wait to another TC for renegtiation of this trade. If Russia will have some more spare gp/t the DP shoul be allowed to renegotiate it immediatley ( same trade but for more gold/t or even for a luxury + gold/t - AI will give it gladly for copper ). If the DP will be allowed to do so, it will be a profitable thing for us.

12. robboo

robboo Deity

Rihiter...I know some people will not like to let a DP control that. I dont have a problem with it. IF we get one in this month( doubtful?) or should we just wait till June.

13. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity

They can now build the Collosus faster, Whoopie, like we're going to attemt to get it? We don't have the tech for it yet. Let them have it as long as needed and then we can cancel the deal, and we'll have made 20 gold.

And I think the DP could control this, if he just asks it in the chatroom (btw, where is the chatlog??).

14. Sigma

Sigma Censor

The chat room is not representative of our citizenry. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to put my foot down here. If the DP sees a favorable trade, he should make note of it and then propose it at the end of the TC. Or if he really wants to do the trade, he should stop the TC.

I hate to be a stickler on this, but we have procedures in place for a reason. If we ignore them, it will just become a DP-controlled sucession game.

15. robboo

robboo Deity

Heres is what I am doing as SOS...the deal will continue till next term. I will let it go for longer than the minimum 10 turns. After the next TC, I can then get in to the save( as term 6 SOS) and present our citizens the options in front of us.

16. FreeTerminus

FreeTerminus Warlord

If the trade was illegal, then I think we should be very careful never to let it happen again.

But if we're dirt poor, and Russia can't use it that well right now anyway, we might as well keep the trade going.

17. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Reminds me of the medicine trade in Civ3 DG1....