Trade discussion: 1200AD

Eklektikos

Eponymous
Very little of great profitability this session, but there are two that are at least worth looking at even if not worth carrying out:

(Fanatica) Metallurgy <-> WM + 11gpt + 19g (Germany)

and

(Fanatica) Metallurgy <-> WM + 82gpt + 112g (China)

China appears to have been quite successful in its switch to Democracy, as it is clearly raking in money hand over fist. The question is whether we'd rather give them tech and slow their research rate, or withold tech and force them to research for themselves, albeit rather faster. If our FA and/or Science departments could work out which puts the skids under them most effectively it would be easier to make a decision on the issue.

Germany on the other hand isn't able to offer us very serious money, so I would be fairly inclined to disregard this trade as the profit margin seems insufficient to me. However the following luxuries deal comes up for renewal in 5 turns:

(Fanatica) Wines + Dyes <-> Ivory (Germany)

So we may wish to trade Metallurgy to them on that turn in order to secure the deal's renewal.

Another deal which comes up for renewal on that same turn is this:

(Fanatica) Iron + Horses + Dyes <-> Silks (England)

However we currently possess 3 less than cutting edge techs that we can trade to them to expedite the renewal of this one, so it should not prove a worry. I just need confirmation that we still want their silks.

As always full details of all possible trade deals are available in the Trade Ministry thread.

I don't like the German trade at all, but the Chinese trade looks very promising, not only do we get serious cash, but we can kill the Chinese economy. Very cool, IMO. :)

Post edited to take into account deals up for renewal. Thanks to Ravensfire for the reminder :mischief:

Yes, to the China deal! Hold off on Germany for the renewal. Heck yeah, keep selling little England old techs for those silks!

There is an issue with trading to China and then holding off on trading to Germany, which is that once China have their grubby little paws on Metallurgy they may well sell it to the Germans before we get to the point where we can renew the German luxury deal. We also can't be sure that one or other of them isn't quite close to discovering the tech for themselves, since they've had knowledge of Chemistry for at least 8 turns by now and China is a democracy with all the research benefits that entails.

With that in mind, it seems to me most prudent to do the Chinese deal immediately since that is the more profitable and just hope that the Germans won't be able to afford to purchase it from them. AFAIK we can get by without their Ivory if needs be, although I'd appreciate confirmation of that from the Domestic dept.

Do the china deal. We can use the money to upgrade knights into cavs.

Of course, the China deal looks good. However, won't Germany get Metallurgy from China or elsewhere? Why shouldn't it be from us?

Top Bottom