Trade Embargo and Cease Relations

How many of you are actually using these features?
I admit I very seldom use them and frankly I'm a bit unsure of how they work. I mean, in both cases I ask a civ to stop trading or cease relations with a third civ. Problem is that I can still trade with that third civ. So, beside the diplo penalty with that third civ, why shouldn't a player do it? I mean, come on, if I can stop two civs from cooperating, why shouldn't I do it? Wouldn't it be more fair if when negotiating a trade embargo against a third civ, I couldn't trade with that civ anymore? Right now I can ask a civ to put an embargo on a third civ, but I can still trade with that third civ: looks absurd to me.
And by the way, while the "cease relations" deal lasts some turns, does anybody know how long is the Trade Embargo lasting? I've never been a victim of a trade embargo, so I don't even know if the trade embargo only affects "trade routes" (i.e. doesn't have ANY effect now that we've removed Trade Routes) or if the victim of a trade embargo can't even trade resources/units/techs anymore. Does anybody have any experience in this sense?

I always thought it did work the way you want it to :D I never use diplomacy because the AI always hates me to much anyways. :/ They just can't let go of the fact that you raised one of their cities even if it was a thousand years ago.

Raised ONE CITY!!!!! Your such a light weight.

Anyway back on topic, I thought it worked like open borders. You ask Civ B to stop cease relations with Civ C, They cancel all trade deals, open borders etc.

You as Civ A, get a You get no penalty, but Civ B, gets +1:mad: "You stopped trading with us"

It lasts as long as the peace treaty, scaled for speed

The stop trading, No Civ likes me enough to even consider it as an option, always ruled out in red as an option.

So trade embargo, or stop trading option, would only cancel trade deals and prevent new ones for the period, open borders would remain.

To be honest, i rarely use stop trading because of the same reason as IPEX. Now, its some kind of a useless option for me, same for the others diplo options. I like it to be dificult, but i would like to have a chance to use them.. I dont remember last time i was helped by and AI in a war.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14143360 said:
You're right, it's easier to ask for cease relations than for a trade embargo. I'll have to correct that.

I wondered about that... Seeing AI refuse to cancel trading with an AI that was their "friend" but they'd be happy to cease relations with them :crazyeye:

Bit late to this conversation, but I do sometimes see the Cease Relations effect being tossed around by AI's when the world is in turmoil, but in my experiences it often tends to be backwards nations lagging behind doing it.

I'd use the Trade Embargo if it canceled resource trading (Can't tell if it does), AND if I could tell what AI are sending what to whom. As it is, it just says on the diplo screen "We appreciate your resources" but it doesn't say what they're getting or who they're getting it from. In the past I remember you could see what these trades are, but I cant remember if it was AND or BTS that removed that (Like the being unable to see what's on a Transport). So if I'm fighting a war with a guy with elephants, but he himself has no ivory, I cant just see if I can convince the nation giving them to stop. Usually they wont, but never hurts to try :p

Trade embargo should cancel resource trading too, but I'm not sure. I think the code doesn't allow to easily see the source of a resource AI is getting. On the subject, I'm working on it while trying to restore and improve Free trade Agreement which was removed, maybe unintentionally, months ago. I'm trying to make Free Trade Agreement to be kind of a hard deal to make, only with very friendly nations, but it should allow to share every resource between two or more civs. It currently works in my test version but I'm working on the code when FTA is canceled which is a bit tricky. Also, I'd like to make it more attractive for small civs, which would find a way to cooperate and stay afloat amid larger civs: kind of an economical federation.

45°38'N-13°47'E;14149374 said:
Trade embargo should cancel resource trading too, but I'm not sure. I think the code doesn't allow to easily see the source of a resource AI is getting. On the subject, I'm working on it while trying to restore and improve Free trade Agreement which was removed, maybe unintentionally, months ago. I'm trying to make Free Trade Agreement to be kind of a hard deal to make, only with very friendly nations, but it should allow to share every resource between two or more civs. It currently works in my test version but I'm working on the code when FTA is canceled which is a bit tricky. Also, I'd like to make it more attractive for small civs, which would find a way to cooperate and stay afloat amid larger civs: kind of an economical federation.

Hmmm... That sounds great :)
Maybe FTA should affect corporation spread too? Like doubling spread rate of each others' corporations? If it is doable.

Little bit OT but wasn't Advanced Diplomacy supposed to have other nations forget/forgive past undoings after a reasonable amount of time? I still have the "declared war on friend" penalty showing up after centuries..

The civ I dowed is gone forever. How could I pay them reparations?
Was that dead civ the only friend of that civ? Or did you declare war to other of their friends too?

They have other friends for sure, but I got a -1 permanent hit for that dead civ I dowed (and destroyed).

Top Bottom