Trade Empires, Indian Ocean Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked it out: great job on the LHs and music included.:goodjob:

Some (perhaps minor) comment:

- is it correct that all civs start with zero cash?
- the Dutch (which I tried) start near Java (which is where they ended up, but they actually followed i the footsteps of the Portuguese mostly (Veylon, Singapore, the Moluccas, etc.); also all European civs should be arriving about 4-500 years later than 1000 AD (but I realize this may be difficult to implement).

In short: excellent 1st version, could be improved a little upon though. I'd rate it 4 stars (B+) as is.;)

PS: If you put the WBS in a "PublicMaps" folder, installation will be simpler as the scenario will show up on the Scenario list in-game. (I did just that.)

Lol thanks, yea, I wanted them to arrive later, but I'd have to do events and all that, and I'm pretty sure it's Python-related and all that. My mod is just a simpler one, not great like Rhye's and Fall of Civilization :p

Oh, and just a reminder guys, please don't change any of the starting options, because it might mess everything up. Like it should be epic, but if you change to marathon, the game will not end in 300 years, but a LONG TIME afterwards.

Interesting scenario you have there. good first try.

(by the way, that's some of my stuff you used in there, not just "making map by my request" ;) )

Lol thanks, yea, I wanted them to arrive later, but I'd have to do events and all that, and I'm pretty sure it's Python-related and all that. My mod is just a simpler one, not great like Rhye's and Fall of Civilization :p

I realize that: it's a nice little specialized mod (like Three Kingdoms); it was just a suggestion about the time of arrival. (Starting locations and ship contents could be modified though; for instance, include a Settler and/or diversify what's on each ship instead of putting all Missionaries on the same vessel.);)

thats true... But I can't put settlers, because then they could just go to the Holy Lands or something... and that woudn't make sense. And I deleted settler from the data base, so if I readded it, like Champa could make a settler or something, and I don't want new cities.

Loved this scenario. Played as Zanzibar on Emperor, went well, the barbs near me wern't a threat at all, conquered them after growing my cities a little bit, and later conquered Arabia and the Holy land, and went on conquering Timur, Mughal and the rest of india to win a domination some 20 turns before the end.
I later tried Akbar, but it was impossible, thousands of barbs came from central Asia and killed me in the first 10 to 20 turns. There are tooooooooo much barbs in Asia, why is that? it makes the game not playable for some leaders, well at least the survival in the begining is just random. Oh some minor remarks:
- no coal ??
- no oil but in the middle of the ocean
- I really miss settler, some islands, like madagascar are really worth settling
- Please place resources (sea resources at least) a little bit better ;-)

lol, I didn't make the map, you can complain to cybrxkhan then :p. And the only reason I didn't make settler, was because it wouldn't make sense if Champa just went and colonized the Andamese Islands would it. :p But thanks for your comment, and on my next mod, I'm working on making settlers useable, but also not useable :)

Right, so yes, it was mostly I who made the map (although CurryAztec placed the non-barb units and the buildings) even though I have very little experience doing maps.

So, to answer HannibalBarka...

The reason there are a ton of life-threatening barbs in Asia is because that's basically what it was like historically. Barbs have been around in Central Asia since the beginning of time, attacking and pillaging and destroying civilizations, end of story. But as for other areas, like Afirca, historically, there were also many tribes we could consider as barbs, but they weren't as aggressive or well-organized in the sense that the Central Asian barbs were. Of course, the entire thing could just be CurryAztec's failure to realize that he did not place enough units for the civs in Central Asia to fend off the barbs.

Another problem, more rather, was that this entire thing was made using the normal 18-civ limitation (we didn't bother to try one of those 40-civ world map mods), so it would have been more or less near impossible to try to represent every powerful group in the region as a civilization; it is of course a shame they had to stay as hordes of barbarians.

Then again, this was played on Emperor level? So I suppose maybe that would justify the barbarians going out of control... who knows... :D

And as for the minor remarks:
- coal and oil and uranium and etc. were not meant to be on the map, as the game is not intended to stretch into the industrial age and beyond
- yes, since I'm rather unexperienced with map making, I suppose my placement of sea resources was at the least rather random and all over the place. next time i make a map, i'll give a little more thought to it, i suppose.

i cant seem to get the game to work i have the following problems:
i cant find were to put the map, and when i do run the map by luanching it manualy i am defeated before the start of the first turn

well, first, you put the actual mod folder into the Mods of Civilization Beyond the Sword Folder. Then, you see the WBS file? (World Builder Save) You can either put that in the Public Maps folder, or World Builder Saves folder. Then you just load into Beyond the Sword, then you load a mod (Trade Empires, Indian Ocean). Then, you use custom map, and load the map.

I am on BtS 3.17, downloaded this scenario to the proper place, but when I start it I always get a "You have been defeated" immediately on entry. I'm not having problems with other scenarios ... any idea what this could be? Probably something simple.

Ah... The typical problem of this, would be because you haven't put the WBS (WorldBuilder Save) file, into the correct place. I will tell you what you are supposed to do after you download this. First, you put the Trade Empires, Indian Ocean folder into the BtS Mods folder. Then, depending on your choice, you either put the WBS file into the Public Maps folder, or the World Builder Saves folder. Afterwards, load into regular Civ IV. Then, go to Load a Mod. Select Trade Empires, Indian Ocean. After you have loaded in, select Load a Custom Scenario. Then, select Trade Empires, Indian Ocean. Then, you're ready, and you can choose who you wanna be! :) I hope that helps.

Im having the same problem as Mitchifer. Everytime i try to download the mod it goes to the filefront main page and not the mod. Is this a glich or am i doing something wrong?

Problem solved ... I had put the WB file into the wrong Saves folder, but moved it to Public Maps folder and everything was fine. The scenario looks to be very creative and different - will write more after I get a chance to play it a bit. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom