1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade route question...little help please.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by LoudScott, Oct 29, 2016.

1. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

So I have built some trading units. I need to establish a trade route. In the interface (AFAIK) I can see what possible trade routes I have originating ONLY from the city where the trader unit was built. I can find no way to see what all of my possible trade routes are GLOBALLY. I can of course select to move my trader to another city and then next turn i can see what all my possible trade routes are from that city. Am I missing something here? (hope so)

2. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

No hope, sorry. There is no way to know the possible destinations in other cities if you don't move your unit around.
    Notice that once you have established and finished a trade road, the range increase in that city, but I can't tell you how much exactly or if the range from other origin's cities also increase.

3. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

seriously? i don't get it man :confused:

4. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

As I understand it :
    You have 4 cities A/B and 1/2. A-1 in range, B-1 out range, A-2 same range than B-2, both out range. When your trade road A-1 is finished, an "outpost" (not sure for the name in english) is created in A and 1, so B-1 became in range (1 outpost), A-2 became in range (A outpost) but B-2 still out range (no outpost in B nor 2)

5. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

no no no...i get the trading posts....i don't get why the devs would not make it simple to see all your available trade routes. That is just stupid, sorry.

6. Panter

Panter Chieftain

There is a button in the top right corner. Next to the citystates one.

7. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

Ho, ok :)
    We lack a lot of useful informations in a lot of windows and panels. Patch and mods will correct that hopefully :)

8. Panter

Panter Chieftain

Ahh I misread. Thought you were looking for overview of all you existing ones.

9. Panter

Panter Chieftain

But I thnk what a trade route offers will be the same no matter what city sends it. It depends on what city it is sent to, so you dont really need an alternative list of them.

10. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

@Panter Well, I haven't checked specifically if you're correct. BUT if you are then I don't understand what trading posts do or what the length of trade routes are. I mean if every on of your cities have the exact same opportunities and results as all your other cities then what is the point? You know a good way to check though would be a simple screen that shows all your potential trade routes!! :aargh:

11. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

I missed it, I played 763 turns and never click on it, thank you :)

There is something about what districts the trade road go through, isn't it?

edit :
    The point is what you need. If you need food to growth in a city, or hammer to build in an other, or culture to expand border in a third.
    There is also a card in late game when you get more stuff if there is luxuries/strategic resources exploited in destination cities.

12. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

you miss understand, i'm saying if all cities get the exact same benefit as every other city you own because each of your cities has the exact same opportunities to reach the exact same destinations (which is what I understand Panter to be postulating) with exact same results then what is the point of outposts?

13. Big J Money

Big J Money Emperor

Yes, originating cities never matter except in special cases (Great Zimbabwe, etc) where you're going to remember anyway. Yields are based on target city.

Yields are mostly from what districts are present in the target city. Length of trade routes don't inherently make a route more valuable. HOWEVER, over time you'll plop down trade routes in cities you've traded with.

If you do a really good job of creating a mini-game out of it, after a while you might be able to get a trade route that passes through multiple cities and trading posts. Since each trading post adds +1 gold, that helps a bit.

The other purpose of trading posts are to extend your trade route distance in the first place. I don't believe you need trading posts in your own cities to have your trade distance begin at the end of a road though. But of course they do add that +1 gold, still.

None of this info is really something we need a global screen to see, and in fact if you relied on a global screen you'd be doing a poor job at the mini-game anyway, since that requires careful geographical planning of routes to develop future routes.

14. playshogi

playshogi Emperor

Do you still get +1 gold if your domestic routes pass through a trading post or is this gold collected only from international destinations? From the trading screen, there seems to be no way to know how many trading posts you will go through for any trade route.

15. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

man i must be thick today. So they traderoute that you reference above....it would exist in every single one of your cities? I just don't get that. How can a trade route pass through the same multiple cities regardless of where it originates?

16. LoudScott

LoudScott Chieftain

Well it seems that is the case. I have two traders and I can only use one (i get a freebie from a village). So I moved them all around to different cities for a couple of turns and as far as i can tell you get the same results no matter the originating city. The result is determined solely by the destination city. humpf...

17. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

Afaik outpost affect range, not yield. But I may be wrong.

edit : I just noticed that your avatar fit the discussion ;)

LoudScott likes this.
  18. TheXMassTeam

TheXMassTeam Chieftain

LoudScott likes this.