trade route ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Maydrock, May 18, 2007.

1. Maydrock

Maydrock Prince

I just built my second city and I got the "Congrats you have connected your city to your capital" message. Could someone explain how these are connected. To me at least one tile needs to be roaded as indicated on the map for them to be connected. Thx

2. Dystopian

Dystopian Chieftain

Edit: Hmm Good question. I don't see the "trade" icon on York either.

3. Greeneyedzombie

Greeneyedzombie King

the red tile is connected on both sides by rivers. this is the tile that connect your 2 cities. it works the same as riverside resources, wich don't need roads to be connected to the city siding on the same river. So a tile with rivers on both sides, act like it has been roaded to connect your cities.

4. LlamaCat

LlamaCat Emperor

yeah I think the giveaway here is how that tile shows 1 coin, which means it's next to a river. so that tile is the connection, although visually it sure looks strange that it would be connected! York looks like it's going to be a great city site once the border pops, by the way!

5. ecskipone

ecskipone Chieftain

that's weird because i believe coastal tiles don't connect continents when you have sailing (trade on coast).. it would be weird if river tiles did

are you sure that southern river doesn't snake around and connect to yours? or maybe another open bordered civ has roads connecting them?

6. Maydrock

Maydrock Prince

Na, the river doesn't snake around and it's too early for open borders. It's the red tile, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone post this post this as a way to establish a trade route.

Copper did show up in the capital once it was mined and a roaded.

7. strategygamer

strategygamer Chieftain

Well, in all fairness, during ancient times it wasn't uncommon to drag boats from one canal or river to another to continue along a water trade route.

8. JackOfClubs

JackOfClubs Warlord

I think the situation here is that the way rivers are handled has changed form previous versions. In earlier versions, rivers were actually drawn within a tile but they are now drawn as part of the border. However, a riverside tile is evidently still considered to "contain" a river so you end up with the counter intuitive situation here.

9. singletonmj

singletonmj Chieftain

Hello,

I noticed from looking at the map that there is a river going from York and touching the cultural border of your capital. This may be how they're connected. I've ran into the same situation myself.

singletonmj

10. amaterasu

amaterasu the true messiah

Zoom out to globe view then look at trade groups, that will tell you :D

11. lutzj

lutzj The Last Thing You See

if you have sailing, then the coastal tile between the mouths of the rivers would connect them. the trade route seems unnecessarily long, but the traders going between the cities would go down one river, take the coast to the other one, and then go down the other river.

12. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

It wouldn't be that easy to drag a boat full of copper would it?

13. JimT

JimT Warlord

It wouldn't unless the coast had been explored, so it is not this

It's the red route whether you want to call it a bug or realism is personal choice