Trade routes, luxuries/resources, harbors

Dedrytus

Warlord
Situation: capital built on small island (in the middle, not on the coast). Not possible to build another city on the island (reason: minimum distance).

Results: no trade routes but luxuries/resources from other cities are available in capital. Teleportation or something? :)

That is not a bug. That's how civ5 works. In previous Civilization you needed to connect resources but not anymore. Any improved resource in your territory is immediately available.
You might think that's weird but it's just good gameplay balance IMO. Roads induce maintenance now, and with city states on a one-tile island and no way to tell them to build a freakin harbor, that would terribly suck :D

Also... easy steal of resources from your neighbours with a great artist :D Note though that in civ5 that has a HUGE impact on your relations

EwIck, I play this from the beginning (Civ 1) so I understand how it works and this is a bug. No trade route, no resources... it is simple. More important is what our Italian knight said: how I am supposed to make trade routes without harbour? Airport does not work, fort does not work, teleportation does not work because I can not invent this (giant death robot is last thing in the tech tree).

EwIck, I play this from the beginning (Civ 1) so I understand how it works and this is a bug. No trade route, no resources... it is simple. More important is what our Italian knight said: how I am supposed to make trade routes without harbour? Airport does not work, fort does not work, teleportation does not work because I can not invent this (giant death robot is last thing in the tech tree).

You can't, you are Trade Route Less.

And it is NOT a bug, Civ5 Resources have NOTHING to do with Civ5 Trade Routes.

Trade Routes only give you Gold and a Production bonus (railroad).

(There is one way you can get Trade routes... found a city on the coast of another island, and then get some civ to capture your capital. your capital will relocate.)

The UI should probably advise you to build your capital on the coast.

Ah. I guess I misunderstood.
Yeah. You are screwed. You need space for at least another city (coastal) to build a harbor.
As for resources, like I said, they do not require roads/trade routes like in previous civs.

You could do what Krikkitone suggested but you might as well start a new game at this point :lol:

As others pointed out, this is not a bug. The real lesson here is that on a small island start, you should always choose to settle on the coast.

Top Bottom