1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade Routes Ruin National Park Hopes

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Bridgeboy69, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

So apparently if a trade route auto builds a road across a tile the game now apparently considers that an improvement and therefor you can no longer use that tile for a National Park. That is what I'm guessing anyway, because I spent a good deal of time planning on making a National Park out of a few Pantanal Tiles (Natural Wonder) and a tile or two of "non-improved" tiles next to it, but I apparently can't, and my only guess is because a road is built across the tiles.

All the other requirements for a National Park are met: Vertical diamond shape, all owned by one city, and all tiles have outstanding appeal: they are all breathtaking. See Pic with my Naturalist highlighted and no option for a National Park.

And there is no way to remove the road, so...

IMG_4539.JPG

2. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

National Parks can have roads in them.

3. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Chieftain

Doesn't the Naturalist need to be at the top of the vertical diamond? If the Pantanal tiles are passable (I don't remember if they are or not), move her up a couple of tiles and it should be fine.

It's an unbelievably clunky system, but far from the only one in this game :p

4. Herod

Herod Chieftain

Yes roads are allowed, does it work when the heli and trader are out of the way?

5. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Pretty sure the naturalist goes on the southern tile. The diamond should show up in white when the naturalist is up even if they're not in position.

Do all the tiles belong to the same city? Do they all have the required appeal? (I forget what the threshold is, though it shouldn't be an issue with the natural wonder.)

6. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Pantanal Tiles is horizontal not vertical and that can mess up national parks because I think it does not like separating it

7. bbbt

bbbt Chieftain

That is strange, you should be able to form a park there or the one over. Are you positive they are all owned by the Panatal city (i.e. if you click on the city and the citizen placement, they are all workable by the city, none of them say 'swap')?

If so, remove the improvement north of panatal (between the encampment and the wine), swap that tile to Panatal, and see if it lets you make that into a national park.

bite likes this.
  8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I'm pretty sure I've made a national park of part of the Pantanal before.

9. Photi

Photi Governor

Yeah me too, pretty sure that wonder he rolls both ways. In fact I remember having to build some improvements on a couple of nonwonder adjacent breathtaking t
    iles in order for the naturalist to highlight all 4 of the Pantonal's.

10. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Future Dad.

i did a NP with Pantanal too. This is weird.

11. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Judging by appeal modifications the naturalist is standing on a square with +2 for the one hex of wonder and +1 for the woods which is not enough, you need 4. Try the farm just above the wonder, it has 2 adjacent wonder tiles, remove the farm and see if that helps. Make sure all tiles are owned by the same city!
    Buffalo look like it has plenty enough food without the farm tile

Alternatively change the Panta(machinegun) city wheat field into a forest if you can and that should then provide the tile with the required +1

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    agonistes likes this.
  12. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Doesn't a National Park just require "charming" appeal? Or maybe that's Outback Tycoon only?

13. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

Wow, lots of replies, thanks.

To answer questions: yes, I am positive all the tiles are owned by one city (I named the city Pantanal as well). In city view if I click on the people icon I have either a worked tile or an empty circle in which it could be worked by a resident of that city.

All the tiles are breathtaking of 5 or 6. However, I own the Eiffel Tower which increase every tile's appeal by 2, so it could be the game is not counting the Eiffel's bonus when allowing the park; which I guess could make sense since if the Eiffel was ever captured by another Civ, then the park would lose its appeal.

I will go back and try what Victoria suggested, who counted what the appeal of each tile should be without the Eiffel Tower based upon the game mechanics, and remove the farm on the northern tile and see what happens. I will report back.

Regarding the military units, I moved them there after the problem had already presented itself to see if I got the option to pillage the road, which of course I couldn't. But as several of you have pointed out, my premise that the road was my problem was in error anyway, since you say Parks can have roads.

14. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

The Eiffel Tower bonus should count. In fact it's that bonus which makes it so strong for a culture victory.

15. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

Well then something is very broken, because every tile of either Pantanal or the surrounding tiles are all breathtaking at appeal value 5 or 6.

16. Victoria

Indeed, should work with Eiffel. I would offer to look at the save but I have a very vanilla build.

Maybe stop those tiles being worked?

17. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

I just got it to work and I really have no idea what changed other than I faith bought my Naturalist in Buffalo this time instead of Pantanal. It's highlighting the rightmost diamond tiles as a valid National Park location now. However, I still think I'm going to remove the northern farm and try making the park there, because I'd rather use that rightmost hill for a mine to get more production for my city of Pantanal. I honestly can't figure out what changed. I even tried working and not working tiles in the area, and it still highlights it as a valid park location regardless if the tiles are being worked or not...

Thanks for all the replies! :)

18. Victoria

Np, btw, once you have made your national park you can lower the appeal, just not below 0

19. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Chieftain

keep in mind that the game has a strange way to decide where parks can be placed. apparently, as soon as a place is a valid park location, the game set it as a potential park location and its tiles can't be used by other parks. so if you can build the southern park (2 tiles of pantanal, the hill and plain) dismantling the northern farm won't let you build a park there, because the game already decided those tiles belong to the southern park, if you ever decide to build it. seem needlessly complicated to me, they could have just let you use the naturalist and decide, in case there are many possible locations, which national park you want to make.
    If after dismantling the farm you cannot build the nothern park (3 tiles of pantanal and plain farm), try to work the hill. I never tried it, but probably making the southern park unfeasible will free the tiles for the northern one.
    also, i have no idea if you care, but keep in mind that building a mine owers the appeal of surrounding tiles, and it will negatively impact your park and its gold and tourism value. You could instead plant a forest and make a sawmill, it's worth the same amount of production if you have steel (1 for wood and 2 for sawmill, against 3 for mine) but it increases appeal. Only flaw is that it costs two builder actions, but i find it worth the cost.

20. Bridgeboy69

Bridgeboy69 Chieftain

What you said appears to be spot on. I removed the farm to the north, but the only available park location remained the rightmost diamond that was originally highlighted. I was going to wait another round to see if removing my worker from the tile where he removed the farm would change something, but after reading this (and the part about the mine and lowered appeal) I think I'm just going to put the Park where it's letting me over to the right and be done with it.