Trade Routes

michael4000

The Culture
I am a little puzzled about how trade routes work. All I have been able to find in the Civilopedia and manual is how the civics affect them, but no explanation of how they work. Is this spelled out anywhere?

Each city gets a certain number of "trade routes" which are basically just extra commerce coming in. The computer handles the creation of trade routes, so just think of them as a free commerce boost to the city.

Click on your city details, and you can see what your trade routes are, how many you have, and how much they're worth. Opening borders and trading with distant civs can increase their value.

Thanks Artanis and Errata.

Sounds kind of like the caravans in Civ II, but without the hassle.

Is there any way to increase trade routes, other than open borders and civic choices? Do we know how they are assigned? Do citys on coasts, rivers, etc., get more routes?

I know the airport opens up another route, though I don't know if it is only with other cities that have airports or whatnot.

Coastal cities have benefits because they can trade with farther away places and also build the harbor.

Trade routes are established by connecting your capital city with other cities, and then by further networking your cities together either by roads or along coasts. You begin with a single trade route, and can gain additional trade routes through the great lighthouse wonder (obsolete with corporation), currency, corporation and free markets civic.

The amount of commerce generated by a trade route can vary and is directly related to the size of the cities. Similar sized cities tend to establish trade routes with one another, meaning the amount of commerce you get from your trade routes will be approximately the same within a single city where larger cities have the largest trade routes. Base commerce from one domestic trade route is +1 to +2 commerce. Base commerce from one foreign trade route is usually within +3 to +6 commerce. Establishment of foreign trade routes requires open borders with that civ.

Harbors add +50% to coastal trade routes.

alanschu said:
Coastal cities have benefits because they can trade with farther away places and also build the harbor.

Inland cities can trade with far away places just like the coastal cities can - they just need a road or a river connecting them with the coast. The harbor adds 50% to any existing trade routes - ie a route worth 4 GPT becomes 6GPT.

Also, Great Lighthouse adds 2 trade routes to all coastal cities. One tech (I think it's Corporation) adds 1 trade route to all cities, but cancels out the Great Lighthouse (ie, all coastal cities would lose 1 trade route).

The Free Market civic adds 1 trade route to all cities and there is a UN Resolution that does the same.

kamigawan said:
The amount of commerce generated by a trade route can vary and is directly related to the size of the cities. Similar sized cities tend to establish trade routes with one another, meaning the amount of commerce you get from your trade routes will be approximately the same within a single city where larger cities have the largest trade routes.

This is incorrect. Your COASTAL cities will tend to have generate your largest trade routes, NOT your LARGEST cities.

Currently, nobody has worked out the exact mechanic of how your cities choose a trade partner, but it usually is that your COASTAL cities get the largest foreign trade routes.

kamigawan said:
Establishment of foreign trade routes requires open borders with that civ.

Or the "Open Markets" UN Resolution.

Req

Req

Top Bottom