1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade routes

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by mps12345, Jan 28, 2011.

1. mps12345

mps12345 Chieftain

When my capitol is not on the coast, I don't seem to be able to connect cities to it by water. Even if the capitol is connected to a coastal city with a harbor.

Also, some cities that seem to be connected by road don't have the little trade route icon on them.

The result of this is I am playing with essentially no trade route income (only 11 golds)

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Vicomt

Vicomt Chieftain

you need to connect your capital with a land route to another city that has a harbour, then all other harbours will be connected.

3. Monthar

Monthar Deity

With a road/railroad from your inland capital to a coastal city and a harbor in that coastal city, your other coastal cities also need a harbor to be connected via the trade route. If an enemy unit is near enough to either coastal city, it will break the trade route. The enemy unit can sit far enough out that you can't see it and definitely can't shoot at it, yet still "blockade" that harbor. This is why I usually also have roads to connect my cities, unless they are on another landmass. This lets me have multiple harbors on my Capital's landmass in case one of them is blocked from making the link to the other landmass(es).

Barbarians break these harbor to harbor trade routes all the time.

4. diz2

diz2 Warlord

Sometimes you have only partially completed a road but it looks like it's there. Cursor over each tile and make sure it says "road".

Also, the icon does not come up until the turn after the road is complete. It needs to process once to recognize the city as part of the network.

Someone already mentioned the issue with harbors. You need at least one harbor connected by road to your capital. If you have a network connect to one harbor, the network extends to (and from) all harbors.

5. vexing

vexing knows

the harbor has to be reachable, ie you have to have a visible path from one harbor to the other

eg a city next to a landlocked ocean that builds a harbor won't ever be connected to your capital because of the harbor alone, but if you had another city on the same landlocked ocean, and it has a harbor and road to the capital, you get the trade route (assuming the landlocked ocean is explored... if it's all fog of war you won't get the trade route until you explore).

sometimes looking around with a caravel or whatever can cause trade routes to form between already built harbor cities.

6. mps12345

mps12345 Chieftain

Every tile has either a road or a railroad, but the icon doesn't come up. Also, if I "route to" my worker from the city to my capitol, the worker just runs straight to the capitol. Am I missing something?

7. DaveMcW

DaveMcW Deity

Was the city recently conquered?

8. mps12345

mps12345 Chieftain

No. However, the route runs through another city-state, and it advises me to construct a road on the square in the city state, even though that square already has a railroad. (It didn't work any better when that square had a road). I wonder if it has to do with the route through a city-state because it seems like it might be related to the "build a road to my capitol" problem.

9. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Yes, that's your problem. Roads running through city states do not connect as they should (the reason for the CS bug in the first place).

10. mps12345

mps12345 Chieftain

Thanks. That was one of the problems. The other problem, as mentioned in an earlier post, was that there was still some "cloud" on the water between two cities. Thank everyone for their help. This is a great place to get solutions

11. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

It seems like there's a bug with the Trade Route icon. I had a game recently where I built a road between my capital and my second city, but then when I re-loaded the game to play the icon was gone. But when I mouse over my gold is reads "XX from trade routes". Since I only have the two cities I'm pretty sure it's a bug.

12. Shaka II

Shaka II Chieftain

Do trade routes along roads require that the entire route be within cultural borders or within ally borders?

I'm playing a game where this seems to be the case, but I would have to reload to verify.

13. oawiefga

oawiefga Warlord

trade routes don't work through any foreign borders regardless of your diplo state with that civ or cs.

14. jomateix

jomateix Chieftain

If the road is in a no-owned land then I suppose that it IS connected, yes?

15. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

That's the bug that also prevents you from completing the CS quest, yes.

Yes