Trade talk...CoL for HBR and 20gold

robboo

Deity
Germany has Horseback riding and will trade it to us for CoL. they will also include 20 gold.

I support this and think its time we learned how to ride Aybdos 's horses. The 20 gold will let us run at a higher scri rate adn help build our coffers.

In adition we can renegotiate our deal with Russia and get another 1gpt for our copper to bring it to 3 gpt. I support this also.

SoS thread has been updated with relatison and present deals.

I agree with this trade as well. Is there anything that we can get from Russia for Code of Laws? Might as well be the ones to give it to them before Germany does.

They already have it... and are presntly 5 techs ahead. We also have nothing they want.
Info for Sigma question
Russia has: monotheism,music, Horseback riding, Construction and Machinery.
Germany has Feudalism, horseback riding and machinery.

So much for trading machinery in the future. we are playing tech catch up.

Yeah I checked it and found out myself after I posted.

Maybe if we finish up Philosophy next we'll be able to trade it for some good stuff. We're almost done with it anyway, and AI's usually bend over backwards for religious techs.

I think you may be right..those early hammers may help us.

So first finish Machinery and then Philosophy do get some older techs. After that we continue our path towards oceanfaring ships.

I agree with this trade (also withfinishing Philosophy to see if we can trade that)

IF/when we have the next TC. I will go ahead with the trade. i see no use for a poll since there was only positive feed back about this trade. Unless someone complains I will not poll this trade.

I just think HBR is fairly unneccesary unless we are going to war. Do we even need HBR for calvary (and by that time, we can trade for HBR with ease.)

I don't like giving out techs to civs that are already more advanced than us for a dead-end tech.

I think we should delay the turn-chat and decide if we want to take Berlin, if so then get HBR, and if not we have no reason to make this trade. Remember this tech is pretty useless unless your going to war within the next few turns.

You don't have to poll this, just because of me. If anyone else sees my logic and posts saying so, maybe you should poll it then. (You know how progressive I am Rob)

ice..I am sorry to tell you but you are wrong. All horse riding units must have horseback riding. http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/info/units/

Attacking Berlin is so far in the future that we should trade when we can. it only helps us shorten our lack of techs. We need to scout first. Knights are a great unit now, combined with maces and catapults makes for a nice mixed attack force.

We have a few War chariots with promotions that one day may grow up to be a knight or cavalry.

Still want to vote down the trade. I still feel I dont have to poll unless you still really feel that strongly... Russia has CoL and can trade at any time. I dont feel its uselss as we can then start building units( adn upgrading) AND if we meet someone wouldnt it be nice to be able to trade to them a tech that they migth not have.

This won't help us catch up in techs, you msut remember it is a "dead-end" tech and the only use of it as of now is horse archers. Maybe we should trade for it when we acquire or research guilds, so we can build knights then, but atm horse archers are becoming more obsolete in most parts of the world. Also if we trade away a tech, that doesn't help us catch up, it puts us in a position farther away.

The basics:

HBR is a dead end tech and won't help us catch up (-1)
Horse Archers are becoming weak in the rest of the world (-1)
HBR will only (atm) provide us with Horse Archers (0)
HBR would be cheaper to purchase by the time we have guilds (-1)
Only once we research guilds will we need HBR (0)
Guilds + HBR allows us to train knights (+1)

So if you look at it my way with positive/negatives, it comes out trading for HBR is negative (-2)

I don't see where were benefiting from, unless of course we plan to go to war.

Actually, if theres anyway you can make a poll that closes before the next turnchat I would really appreciate it, but if you feel strongly enough that we will benefit from this trade, then don't make a poll.

I disagree on horse archers becoming less powerful. Their +50 aginst catapults and 2 movement make them good for defending agasint stack collateral damage.

Ok lets poll..that the best way to resolve this in case others feel this way. I rather hear what the majority think and I rather not make an unpopular trade.

I will PM and post in sigmas thread and ask for a link to this discussion

You brought up some good points and I think it comes down to style of play as to which side of this discussion. I prefer mixed stacks playing the odds more than overwelming force and SOD. So hence the reason I like having horse archers vs catapults.

GREAT POINT/COUNTERPOINT... This is what a discussion thread is supposed to be:) Its supposed to make us think and learn.

Top Bottom