1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade undervalued

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Priah, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Priah

Priah Warlord

I just finished up WOTM 06 as ragnar with literally every city on the coast. The trade was huge and probably was at least 40% of my economy. I then played a game as carthage on another map and I built my empire inwards making lots of commerce cities not on the coast. Even though I had far more recources this game, and was far more developed than I was as ragnar, my economy was literally 30 - 40% weaker than it was as ragnar.

Ive concluded, that every commerce city you make, with very few exceptions, should be built on the coast, and all your industrial cities should be inland.

2. trundle

trundle Warlord

Yeah, I never payed much attention to trade routes before Warlords. But I started noticing how much of a boost they gave when playing Ragnar with everything out on the coast. Then I played a couple games as Hannibal: holy crap that guy generates some trade revenue when played right. Between his UBs, the GL, and the Colossus, I was running an obscene amount of commerce in the early game.

P.S. Oh, I forgot to mention that in one of the games, Louis was a kind enough neighbor to build an easily capturable Temple of Artemis for me. With something like 7 trade routes in my coastal cities before the GL was obsolete, that was a huge perk. =)

3. 50_dollar_bag

50_dollar_bag Imitation Louis Vuitton

I second that about trade routes, I built the ToA in my coastal capital as Carthage, with a Cothon, Free Market, Great Lighthouse, Currency a Castle I had 7 trade routes each with 12-10 commerce from each one. Thats sounds a little low now that I think about it but my trading partners had smallish cities, and a couple of the biggest civs were in Mercantilism. The hardest thing about Trade route based economy is the discovery of banking by the AI, they tend to immediately switch to Mercantilism.

4. notagoodname

notagoodname Chieftain

The Great Lighthouse is one of the best wonders in the game imho. It's attainable at most levels of difficulty too as the ai often doesn't build the wonders that need a coastline.

+2 extra trade routes in each coastal city is huge. Add this to the trade route from currency and the starting trade route you'll have 4 trade routes in every city starting from the ancient era.

If you make the most of it (foreign trade, harbours,etc.) it can mean an extra 10-25 gold per city per turn (depending on trade route yeild).

City maintainence rarely goes above the cost of 10-25gold so getting the great lighthouse is essentially a license to plant as many cities as you want with each one bringing more gold than it costs.

The only problem is that trade route yeild can be a little unpredictable.

5. Priah

Priah Warlord

Yea, Im in love with Carthage even more now. UB just owns combined with the great lighthouse. Five trade routes per a city... That alone can supply your economy, you dont even need cottages.

6. DigitalBoy

DigitalBoy Emperor

I agree. Trade routes are a potentially huge source of commerce, and coastal cities get the most out of it since they can easily be connected to foreign trade routes through Sailing, get a whopping +50% trade income from the harbor, and get +2 trade routes with the Great Lighthouse (which is a great wonder).

7. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

Why do costal cities give more commerce? (or did DigitalBoy cover all the bonuses?) Is it just the Harbour, Great Lighthouse and the foreign trade routes or are there other things? Personally I have never thought about costal city placement. I rather like planting my cities where I can get more hammers. Might have to look into this more because I usually rely on cottages for commerce. Trade routes sound like a fast way of getting lots of commerce early. Is this so?