Traders and roads

Spartan_X

Chieftain
From what we know so far, when you send traders to your cities, they connect the cities with a road. What happens if you want to build a road in a different direction though? Say you want to have two roads between two cities, one going around a mountain, one the other way, etc. Or maybe you want a road running besides your border with another empire, for whatever reason. Will that be possible you think?

I think you will at some point get a road building technology for it. I think it was mentioned somewhere.

The information is sketchy at this point, but it seems that in the early game "Ancient Roads" are constructed automatically by Traders, but then in the mid-game a specific road-building "Engineer" unit becomes available that lets you build more advanced roads in a manner similar to current workers.

The information is sketchy at this point, but it seems that in the early game "Ancient Roads" are constructed automatically by Traders, but then in the mid-game a specific road-building "Engineer" unit becomes available that lets you build more advanced roads in a manner similar to current workers.

Also I'd be surprised if Rome have no abilities for road building.

I wish we hade some more info about the trading system, and the importance of roads.

Speculation is fun, so... let's speculate.:nuke:

Let's assume, based on the current sketchy information, that ancient roads are generated by trade, and let's also assume we still control trade (at least the trade routes FROM our civilization to others).Then:
-We will still be able to decide which cities are connected by sending a trade route there.
-We have no control over the layout of such roads.
-Roads from our cities to city states and other Civs will be more common in Civ VI
-Other Civs will be able to create a road directly to our front door

(see image, roads underlined in yellow)

Also, if we look at the screenshots, it seems:
-Districts and wonders are always connected to the main city by roads.

Whether they are created automatically without a trade route, or they appear when the first trade route is established (and reflect how traders now "move" within our city) is anyone's guess at this time.

(see image, roads underlined in red, districts circled in blue)

Also I'd be surprised if Rome have no abilities for road building.

The obvious ability would be to have the Romans able to build Engineers with an early tech like Engineering rather than waiting for a Renaissance tech. That's not strictly accurate historically, but it has some truth to it and it could have significant implications.

Coupled with more realistic movement factors for ancient Roads (and the commerce implications), this could be a great way of both producing realism and making coastal setups more viable. It's not a coincidence that the more prosperous ancient civiilizations of Europe were, by and large, located along the Mediterranean. Being able to move goods and troops by sea had its advantages.

Hmm... I wonder if you can get Archaeology-based Culture bonuses for keeping your ancient roads around while you build your new medieval roads along different routes.

It would definitely be cool to see the "oldroads" and the "highroads" together. And if you're a tabletop game worldbuilder, it could help lend a feeling of history to your world.

I personally hope, in regards to Rome, that they allow some kind of fortification building for the Legions, as that would be more in line with history. Possibly give the Legion unit the ability to build roads to the front. Although I might not be too big on Legions building roads. I can't wait to see what they do with each of the new Civs... SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!!!!

I wish we hade some more info about the trading system, and the importance of roads.

Speculation is fun, so... let's speculate.:nuke:

Let's assume, based on the current sketchy information, that ancient roads are generated by trade, and let's also assume we still control trade (at least the trade routes FROM our civilization to others).Then:
-We will still be able to decide which cities are connected by sending a trade route there.
-We have no control over the layout of such roads.
-Roads from our cities to city states and other Civs will be more common in Civ VI
-Other Civs will be able to create a road directly to our front door

(see image, roads underlined in yellow)
Spoiler :

Also, if we look at the screenshots, it seems:
-Districts and wonders are always connected to the main city by roads.

Whether they are created automatically without a trade route, or they appear when the first trade route is established (and reflect how traders now "move" within our city) is anyone's guess at this time.

(see image, roads underlined in red, districts circled in blue)
Spoiler :

A really good brake down, can other civs build roads to your cities? that would change war a bit

A really good brake down, can other civs build roads to your cities? that would change war a bit

Now there's a vile thought. Traders as the entering edge of the wedge. Asimov would be proud, though he didn't conceptualize it in quite the same way.

If your Traders automatically build roads, then one has to assume foreign traders will do the same.

Actually, it's quite good. It will be the first civ game with roads between civ being rule, not exception.

Mmm. It makes the idea of a Silk Road civ utilizing Trader roads intriguing.

If your Traders automatically build roads, then one has to assume foreign traders will do the same.

Agreed. Which makes me wonder if there is any way to avoid having roads built directly to our doorstep.

-Builders being able to destroy roads? Not likely, after all, roads will be eventually rebuilt as long as the trade route is still in place.
-Trade routes have to be agreed by both Civs? Unless the amount of trade routes is reduced, this might lead to unnecessary micromanagement?
-Open/Closed borders policy to foreign trade? This seems reasonable.

Since we are getting goverments in Civ VI, and we already know they contain economic and diplomatic "slots", maybe this points to very simple commercial policy system?

Agreed. Which makes me wonder if there is any way to avoid having roads built directly to our doorstep.

-Builders being able to destroy roads? Not likely, after all, roads will be eventually rebuilt as long as the trade route is still in place.
-Trade routes have to be agreed by both Civs? Unless the amount of trade routes is reduced, this might lead to unnecessary micromanagement?
-Open/Closed borders policy to foreign trade? This seems reasonable.

Since we are getting goverments in Civ VI, and we already know they contain economic and diplomatic "slots", maybe this points to very simple commercial policy system?

I hope there's no way to prevent roads being built between civs. Imagine the impact on combat which we'll have?

Actually, it's quite good. It will be the first civ game with roads between civ being rule, not exception.

Yes, that would be a first. :)

Would be more realistic.
Perhaps they might have border posts/customs buildings where the road crosses the border between Civs.

Assuming roads don't cost money (which is very likely if they're built automatically), would having free roads built in your territory be such a bad thing? You'll be using them more than anyone else.

It's interesting if there's any control over road spam? Maybe automatic roads are free, while more advanced ones built manually require maintenance?

Top Bottom