Trading away resources

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by UberCivver, Nov 18, 2005.

1. UberCivver

UberCivver Chieftain

If a computer offers to trade me rice for corn, aren't we both not getting anything new as far as bonuses?
    Also, if I have 3 gems, don't I get a +3 happy, or is each city only allowed to receive affects from one of each type of resource? (which I think is the case and now makes sense to me why I would trade extras) Any enlightenment about this and also trading strategies would be greatly appreciated.
    -UberCivver

2. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

If they are surplus ones, then, you are both geting a bonus. Having 2 of a resource does you no good as you only get the bonus once.

3. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

so for example if you have 2 corn, you will only get a +1 health bonus. However if you give one corn to a player in change of rice, then you will have +2 health bonus.

4. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

why cant i exchange resources like corn or rice or whatever for tech

5. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

Because that's too open to exploitation. You trade corn to the AI for the tech - you get the tech immediately, then cancel the deal. You got tech, AI got nothing.

Bh

6. jayeffaar

jayeffaar Warlord

Good point.

Good point.

Good point.

7. 76mm

76mm Chieftain

I have a really dumb question--when another civ asks to trade resources with me, how do I know how many of that resource I have? That is, if I only have 1, I probably don't want to trade it. I've looked all over the various screens and haven't found any way to determine how many of each resource I have other than scrolling around and counting on the map.

8. microbe

microbe Cascaded Mansion

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

9. spincrus

spincrus sol invictus

I think Civ4 doesn't allow you to voluntarily trade the resource which you already own only one source of, unlike Civ3. Haven't tried it yet.

But just like in Civ3, you can see the number of extras you have of each tradable resource in parantheses next to the resource name (on the trading screen), such as Rice (2) and Pig (1).

The numbers indicate your extras, not how much you have of it. Obviously, if it appears on the list (from my understanding), this means you have at least 1 that you're using yourself, and 1 that's extra and tradable.

10. Bhruic

Bhruic Emperor

No, that's incorrect. It lists how many you have. If it says (1), then you only have one, and if you trade it, you will be trading away your only amount of it.

Sometimes you might want to do that. Especially if you can get something like Iron, or Horses in return.

However, if the AI is offering you a trade, and you aren't sure, opt to renegotiate, remove the item, and then you can see if you have extras (and if you do, add it back again).

Bh

11. Grogs

Grogs King

As far as I can tell, the AI never offers a trade for your one and only resource. A lot of the time, when I hook up a second strategic resource, say horses or iron, I'll immediately get spammed by 2-3 AI's wanting to trade me for it. I am a little paranoid about it myself, and I always negotiate if I'm not sure, but so far they never try and trade for my last resource.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible to initiate a trade for your last resource. After ivory or whales are obsolete, I usually trade the last one away to a backwards civ for a resource I can still use.

12. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

you cant immediatly cancel a deal you must wait a few turns i know because i tried and i had to wait a few turns
    why is resources for tech a exploit?

13. Lord Chambers

Lord Chambers Emperor

I think it's pretty pathetic to be unable to trade freely. If my only "resource" is my tech lead, and my cities are rioting because they have no luxuries, I should be able to work out a trade with the AI provided it's mutually beneficial. Which rifling for Ivory(4) probably is.

If the reasoning truly is that the poor AI needs to be protected from the explotative player, why wouldn't they just make it so it's not exploitative? Make breaking a treaty a serious reputation hit so that it's a strategic choice? Or if that just makes too much sense, why not just make it impossible to break the trade for 10 or 20 turns like the poster above me says is happening (I know it's true for peace treaties, but I haven't ever tried to break a non-peacy treaty before).

14. Adamb0mb

Adamb0mb Lawless

one note on strategy

while I'll freely trade luxury resources I'd be wary of giving any other civs strategic resources. It cuts twice as deep when that sword was forged from iron you traded for a bit of wine.

15. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

Recently, around 1000 BC, an A.I. wanted to trade his "silk" for one of my two "stone".

The problem was that my two "stone" spots had built quarries on top...while his "silk" spot could only be improved much later on because it required a tech research (and its related plantation improvement), not yet available.

My question is : What would have happened if I had accepted the trade, giving him access to an improved spot of "stone" in exchange for a spot of "silk" that nobody could profit from for many centuries? Is my understanding correct : He would have gained (the benefits of my "stone" quarry) while I would have obtained nothing in return?

I did not take a chance : I refused to trade.

16. theos

theos Warlord

If the resource is available for trade then he's hooked it up. Here he has obtained any necessary techs and his worker has built the terrain improvement. The AIs may offer some cheeky trades at times, but they can't outright cheat you like you suggest.

17. ahsingjai

ahsingjai Chieftain

Wow, interesting points. I hardly trade my stuff cuz I thought having more then one is good.

18. Philips beard

Philips beard Prince

You can cancel any deal by declearing war! :goodjob:

19. Sorceresss

Sorceresss Witch

Thank you : I will take your word for it. I was just surprised that he could build a plantation of silk so early in the game (1000 BC).