Trading favors

gamemaster3000

Warlord
Ever since Civ 1 I've been disinterested in in-game politics because if they're stronger they're going to invade regardless of how happy they are. However, it's been 20+ years and the diplomacy is probably better, but I've still never really bothered with it.

So is trading for favors useful or worthwhile? How many would it take to get a faction to DoW another nearby faction?

A favor is around 1-5 energy per turn, depending on how the particular AI you have favors with feels about you. So, the question you posed is not an easy one because favors themselves don't have a constant value, but are themselves affected (value-wise) by your standing with the target AI.

That being said, I've never actually tried to use favors alone to get a DoW on one AI from another. I'd imagine it might be not many favors at all in some cases (if the AI is already wanting to attack) or could be flat-out impossible no matter how many favors you have (i.e. the AI is on better terms with the target than with you).

Favors are mostly worth while only when you have something you don't need (like an affinity-aligned resource) prior to the AI having anything worth trading for it. Favors are basically an I.O.U. for later on when the AI will finally have connected a resource you would like to trade for or will have enough energy to trade.

Bear in mind that favors are cancelled out with someone if you go to war with them, regardless of who DoWed who. So storing up favors itself is riskier than simply trading a resource for energy, or vice-versa. However, this cuts both ways, and you can cancel out another side's favors with you by attacking them.

You'd think firaxis would occasionally take a look at what paradox is doing. Nothing's more satisfying than conquering provinces without firing a shot, especially if it's land your nation historically never had.

It would be interesting if sponsors had a way to force eachother's hands, like israel does to the U.S.

Every time I try to spend a favor the AI rejects the offer. Its a FAVOR, there shouldn't be an offer to begin with.

For example in my latest game I accepted favor deals from KP and ARC in case PAC DoW'd me. The DoW came and I tried to spend the favor on a counter DoW and was rejected by both sponsors.

Maybe I'm asking for too much in this instance, but I've been favor rejected on much simpler things.

Don't bother with favors. It's just another way for the AI to ask you for more than the will offer in return.
Good idea, not implented.

Favors are worthless.

The only reason to ever accept an AI deal including a favor (like 1 favor for 3 Titanium) is to make it less likely to attack you. Otherwise - don't bother, you won't get anything worthwhile.

yee i expected that I can ask for cooperation agreement for favor, or something like that.

Co op agreement.
3ept for 1 favor. 1 favor for 100 flat energy. Congratulations, Apollo now feels like soyuz.

To this Domination-oriented player, the diplomacy screen is a way for you to exploit the AI for supplemental energy. Nothing more or less.

I've long stopped bothering about genuinely trying to negotiate with AI players because quite simply it's not a matter whether they will backstab you but when they will do so. They should just be treated as ATMs.

Although I will admit if a neighbouring AI X wants me to DOW another AI Y that doesn't share a border with me, and X has better military tech than me and I'm in a critical development phase, I SOMETIMES play along with their charade of a diplomacy game while committing - of course - no troops.

The other main way advanced players use diplomacy in Civ 5 and this game is to bribe AIs into warring each other, but I've never found this viable either in-game or in terms of being able to put up with such a ridiculous notion.

I have to pay you to leave me alone? Uh-uh, you're gonna pay me to leave you alone.... and then I'll take your cities anyway! B****-ass backstabbers :mad:

The AI is still stupidly reckless with their diplomatic behavior in civBE, so it is highly unlikely that you will get much from favors. If anything, favors will actually help increase the backstab threshold for that AI, as they have more to gain from it.

No exploit, just good haggling skills. :>

Top Bottom