Trading for workers?

I buy them.

Slaves are cheap. They cost nothing to support, and only cost at most 100 gold from me. Keep them for 101 turns, or 51 turns in Republic (often do), and they are starting to pay off.

Workers will also appear in a capital when the AI builds a settler there. The settler will appear on the trade screen as two workers. You just have to check every turn.

And I never sell or trade workers. For some reason the AI thinks of this as killing your own people and their attitude drops.

How much do you think a worker is worth in gold?

It's a few months since I last sold one, but I think I got very little. 20 gold maybe. They are cheap to build so maybe they are not worth more.

SimpleMonkey said:
And I never sell or trade workers. For some reason the AI thinks of this as killing your own people and their attitude drops.
I think that is only when you sell your own workers. I believe selling slaves does not hurt you.

Someone have said the attitude hit is to prevent humans to abuse the possibility to sell their own workers. I'm not sure but I doubt it is true. The programmers should managed to balance the game in other ways. And if a worker really isn't worth more than 20 gold, then I think the balance is fine without adding attitude issues. It's cheap in shields but it cost 1 population.

SimpleMonkey said:
Workers will also appear in a capital when the AI builds a settler there. The settler will appear on the trade screen as two workers. You just have to check every turn.

Now that is a good piece of info. So, when I establish an embassy and see a worker being built I know what I have to look out for.

Sir_Lancelot said:
Someone have said the attitude hit is to prevent humans to abuse the possibility to sell their own workers. I'm not sure but I doubt it is true. The programmers should managed to balance the game in other ways. And if a worker really isn't worth more than 20 gold, then I think the balance is fine without adding attitude issues. It's cheap in shields but it cost 1 population.
This was changed in C3C, and in that version a worker is now worth ~120 gold. I believe this was done to prevent the human player from totally crippling the AI in the AA when that much gold is harder to come by. If you have that much gold, you have to decide if it's really worth it to buy a worker or to put the gold into increased research.

About 120g is what I've paid, though I've gotten them for as little as 100. Since I can often accumulate decent gold reserves during the AA via stratigic trading, it's usually worth it to me to buy foreign workers. Or I can make them part of a trade deal when an AI doesn't have gold to pay for a tech. (I make a point of aquiring contacts as early as possible. This makes some serious trading possible.) They help me some, but their loss hurts the AI a lot. This is a good thing.

SimpleMonkey said:
I can make them part of a trade deal when an AI doesn't have gold to pay for a tech. (I make a point of aquiring contacts as early as possible. This makes some serious trading possible.) They help me some, but their loss hurts the AI a lot.
I take them in trade also, but slaves are particularly annoying if you're playing an industrious civ (workers road in 2, mine in 4), and a single slave just takes forever to finish anything. :lol: It's much better, of course, when you have a whole gang of slaves.

120 gold? That's 12 gold per shield!

Selling workers will hurt an industrious civ more.

Why would you sell workers, ever?

You're just helping the AI, which doesn't build enough workers. And workers' cost isn't in their shields. It's in the one population it takes to build one. At best that's ten food. Food = Population = More Production/More Commerce = More/better units = Faster Win.

I don't think I've come across any circumstances where the AI will not sell workers, even in the very early ancient era where every worker counts. I always buy them if I can. In the most recent games I've played, 20K cultural victory, mining tiles around the capital city has been a priority, and I couldn't have finished that quickly without the foreign workers.

Trading 2 AI slaves for one of yours is a great deal. free workers because no unit support. :)

they have to be in your capital and then you just trade them like you would any tech or resource.

Better yet, since you don't want to be the one giving workers up, you have to wait until the AI has workers in its capital, then they can trade them to you. Either check your foreign advisor screen every turn, or use a utility like CivAssist to alert you when worker trades are available.

Once someone has workers availiable, they'll appear on the negotiation screen like any other tradable item (resources, gold, etc.).

Top Bottom