1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading Guilds

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: Citizens' started by Lord Civius, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Trading Guilds
    A Citizen that owns a territory containing a resource may start a trading guild. The name of the guild must be representative of the resource. In order to begin trading your resource you must register your Guild with "The Guildhall".

The Guildhall- is an association of craftsmen and merchants, formed for mutual aid and protection and to further their own professional interests. The guilds are of two types, the Merchant Guilds and the Craftsmen Guilds (The word "craft" comes from the old English word "craeft", meaning "skill"). Since we are still in ancient times we have no monetary system and therefore barter our resources. With this reasoning a barrel of fish could be traded for a pig, a horse for a barrel of dye and so on. A Guildmaster then would not be rated on how much gold he has but how many resources he has.

Trading Guild classifications:
    Spoiler :
    Merchant Guilds-

1 barrel or 1 Animal per yield (regardless of type) per week available for trade.

Beasts of burden (Horses and Elephants*): Transportation Business
    Livestock (Sheep, Cattle, Pigs). Manageable Food Supply
    Fisheries (Fish, Clams, Crabs and Whales)
    Crops (Corn, Rice, Wheat)
    Cash Crops (Banana, Sugar)

Craftsmen Guilds-

1 Barrel or 1 Pound (plan on changing the pound to something more RP but don't have time right now) per yield (regardless of type) per week available for trade.

Game (Fur and Deer*)
    Mining (Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, Gems)
    Construction (Granite, Stone and Marble)
    Luxuries (Dyes, Incense, Silk, Spices, Wine, Elephants*)

*Elephants and Deer can be used for either Transport or Meat, or as a source of luxury (skins, ivory tusks, horns etc).

I have left out certain resources that can not be attained any time soon. By the time these resources can be acquired we will be far past guilds.

Trade-
    Once a Trading Guild has registered they can begin trading (improvements are not necessary, once a resource is revealed it can be traded internally). To trade with another Guildmaster you simply arrange a trade agreement and you both will begin yielding 2 resources (amounts will depend on agreement). To trade between two cities they must be connected metagame.

Roleplaying-
    It is important that we stick to certain RP principles. A citizen RPing could not claim that he has a Horse that he rides into unknown territories on, or claim an iron sword without first obtaining the resource through a trading guild.

Guildmasters, Journeymen and Apprentices.
    The Citizen that owns a resource is the Guildmaster and retains all rights to the resource he was granted. He may appoint other members to his guild. Apprentices need not be paid for their labor but must remain at this status for a minimum of 2 weeks (to learn the art). Once they have been in the Trading Guild 2 weeks they can be promoted to Journeymen. As a journeyman they must be paid 1 yield per week by their Guildmaster. If for any reason the Master is incapacitated then the most senior journeyman would replace him as Guildmaster.

I will, for now, leave it here and see where the trading guilds takes us via RP from the Guildmasters. If more indepth instructions are needed I will supply them. RP on my friends............

2. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

Or, for the 90% of us who don't own resources and probably never will, you can gather at the Emporia Trading Guild.

3. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

:cry: Or you can wait and join a trading guild as an apprentice. 90% of people didn't own trading guilds.

EDIT: As the game progresses we will gain more and more resources and there will be enough for everyone to have atleast one. WE could also add imports if participation suffices. I am hoping this will eventually grow into an economic system with a currency later in the game as our techs progress.

4. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I think you need further categorization of resources:

Beasts of burden (Horses and Elephants*): Transportation Business
    Livestock (Sheep, Cattle, Pigs). Manageable Food Supply
    Fisheries (Fish, Clams, Clams, Crabs and Wales)
    Crops (Corn, Rice, Wheat)
    Cash Crops (Banana, Sugar)
    Game (Fur and Deer)
    Mining (Copper, Iron, Silver, Gold, Gems)
    Construction (Granite, Stone and Marble)
    Luxuries (Dyes, Incense, Silk, Spices, Wine)

Elephants and Deer can be used for either Transport or Meat, or as a source of luxury (skins, ivory tusks, horns etc).

5. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I was trying to leave everything as vague as I could and kind of let the trading go wherever the RPers take it. Which you have taken the first step and the categories have been upgraded.

6. blastoidstalker

blastoidstalker The Geographer

Once the proper techs have been researched, Horses, Elephants, copper and iron can be traded for the Military uses.

Creation of units using these resources, should increase there value and the wealth (in trade goods or other favor to start) of those who own them.

7. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Welcome, Merchant Guildmaster Blastiod, to the Trading Guilds. As the sole owner of Horses all citizens must go through you if they wish to purchase a horse. You currently have (4) horses at your disposal. Keep in mind we do not yet possess the ability to ride horses so please try and keep the RP legit.

I will code each horse in the Guildhall logs but feel free to name the steeds if you want to. Please use the Guildhall for any official business like trade deals, sales or gifts of your horses.

I am merely the guildhall record keeper. Any editing or creation of new rules is up to the Trading Guilds themselves, so for the moment thats just you. :)

8. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Welcome, Craftsmen Guildmaster Ballizic, to the Trading Guilds. As the sole owner of Dyes all citizens must go through you if they wish to purchase dyes. You currently have (3) Barrels of dye at your disposal.

I will code each Barrel of Dye in the Guildhall of Records logs so use the barrel # if you do any trading, selling etc. Please use the Guildhall for any official business like trade deals, sales or gifts of your Dyes.

9. Seymoo

Seymoo The Sexmaster General

(ooc- would the number of commodities per tile be quite small until they were worked, i.e ballazic goes out and collects a few of the dye plants that grow naturally, creating say 1 barrel per every few turns, once calendar is researched an a plantation built on the land he is able to grow the plants and produce far more, say a barrel every turn?, Ignore me if you don't like the suggestion)

10. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

The system works similar to what you are suggesting. All yields are added up regardless of type (hammer, food and gold). The total number is then the Guilds number of available barrels, animals, etc for trade each week.So as tiles are improved thus number will increase. These do not have to be traded/sold before the week is over. They can be stockpiled. Records of the Guilds are kept in the spoilers in the first post in the Guildhall

11. Ballazic

Ballazic King

It will be an honour to be a guild master. And to work along with the guildhall to further develop our nations economic wellbeing.

12. Seymoo

Seymoo The Sexmaster General

Thankyou for clarifying the explanation, I perhaps should have read more carefully

13. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

The guild system is a work in progress. Always.

14. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

New resources have been uncovered. Players owning the lands containing these resources can start a Trading Guild if they have not done so already:

Protectors of the Faith
    Copper
    Gold
    Rice

Surf and Turf Guild
    Fish

Lostcause
    Pigs

Existing Trading Guilds

Guild of the Thundering Hooves-The Blastoid
    Horses

Tintura Dyes- Ballazic
    Dyes

15. Provolution

Provolution Sage of Quatronia

I think you should add "Elephant" to Faith, since they get one very soon in the fat cross.

Warlords got a rice paddy so far, and we share land with Legion, so maybe we have a talk over the pigs later (If Lost Cause does not use the Pig Farm, it should probably go to Warlord City, which need it to survive and to feed its soldiers and women).

Since we got Writing the previous session, its high time we begin to develop the trading system (pre currency that is, barter economy).

You also need a system for depreciation of goods, since there should be a cap on hoarding.

16. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

The Trading Guild concept has had little interest and I feel needs some revising. The Guilds will no longer strictly be trading Guilds though they still may do so if they choose.

Players can now open business Guilds if they do not own resources or land. They must provide a service or product however to be registered with the guildhall.