trading is bonkers

Scott Jegg

Warlord
Okay, so luxuries are worth 240gp per 30 turns, The AI will only give you that if you have a DoF now.

This is good. It's not possible to exploit the AI for gold so easily, but it's still dumb that they will offer the max amount possible, up front, when there's always the risk that a luxury resource can be pillaged by an enemy, thus cancelling the deal. It seems stupid that the AI don't mitigate this risk by offering less for a "cash up front" deal rather than a gpt deal.

What's even more stupid is that that AI simply will not EVER offer 8gpt for a luxury. Not in my history of Civ V have I seen it. They will gladly give you cash up front for full value when all the risk is on them, rather than paying full price for a gpt deal that lessens the cost to them should something go wrong.

To me, they only half fixed the exploitative nature of these deals.

Well they are paying 6 gpt for 4 hpt. as soon as the trade ends whether it be by pillaging or 30 turns are up, the trade is equal.

Well they are paying 6 gpt for 4 hpt. as soon as the trade ends whether it be by pillaging or 30 turns are up, the trade is equal.

Yes, this is the beauty of trade now. The AI doesn't get duped into handing over easy gold, unless there is a DoF, at which point they become all stupid again.

I thought my point was clear.

What's even more stupid is that that AI simply will not EVER offer 8gpt for a luxury. Not in my history of Civ V have I seen it. They will gladly give you cash up front for full value when all the risk is on them, rather than paying full price for a gpt deal that lessens the cost to them should something go wrong.

This had always bothered me in cIV. Logically one should pay more in GPT overall than lump sum because lump sum is very powerful & can be abused easily. While GPT is slow & in favour of the one receiving the luxury/strategic resource.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The worst thing is that a preview to this just prior to BNW coming out showed the AI actually spending 8 gpt per luxury so it appears it was fixed at some point and broken again.

180 gold even all upfront is something I would rarely sell a luxury for in G&K (and vanilla) and so I don't bother selling a surplus luxury for it at all but wait and hope it gets a spare luxury.
And 30 gold even all upfront was something I would never sell a resource for either.

Top Bottom