Trading Swapping Great Work

brewgod

Prince
Hello Fellow Players,

How many of you trade and swap in and out great works in other cities that you have..control in your empire and how many times do you trade with other AI empires.

Is there a lot to gain from this practice in Cultural Victories?

Does this boost your over all game to have an edge.

Thanks

Brew God

There's trading great works with other civs, and then there's moving great works to different cities with available slots within your empire. Not sure which you're referring to; sounds like the latter, but I'll cover both to be sure:

Trade great works with other civs to:
-Get theming bonuses. That's really the only reason.

Move great works to different cities with available slots within your empire to:
-Get theming bonuses, or
-increase border pop rate. For tradition players, this usually isn't a big concern, as the extra culture you get from having it in your capital (with the highest culture and tourism modifier) outweighs the faster border pops, but for non-tradition games, it's needed since you have more cities with slower expanding borders, and buying them gets pretty expensive pretty fast. Also, Venice needs to put works in the slots of their CS puppets, otherwise the borders almost stagnate.

It is worth swapping with ai to get theming bonuses. For oxford, I think you need works from different civs, so you either swap on conquer them. Occasionally I will move works to cities that need help expanding borders, but if I'm not going for a cv, I usually don't even think about it much. It is also worth it to move works to cities with the most multipliers, like visitor center.

It is quite important as the theming bonus is 50% (100% with the SP from Aesthetics). I do it all the time. Get the great works required to fulfill the theming conditions.

Also if you have puppets is best not to keep the great works in them since you lose at least 25% of the culture from them (even more because amounts smaller than 1 get rounded down).

Another benefit of this is increasing the cultural borders. For example if you play a liberty game with Assyria, you normally have 3CPT in non-capital cities (the 1 form opener plus the 2 from monument), but if you put a great work of writing in the royal library that is a 66% increase in culture, so also 66% increase in border growth. I believe that is actually better than Tradition opener. Of course with Assyria you want to move the great work from city to city to get the bonus of +10 XP, but this can be done for increasing border growth also. This strategy also works well with the Cathedral and a great work of art, or if you want to build the amphitheater but that is rather a waste, unless you want the Hermitage.

IFor oxford, I think you need works from different civs
They don't need to be different civs, just not yours. It requires two works of different eras from a civ other than you, so if you're Persia and you have a Celtic Medieval and a Celtic Renaissance, it will work. I find Oxford to be one of the biggest pains in the butt, harder than hermitage which has 1 extra slot to fill, because I'll get the second Writing GW, then go to the trade screen and every single civ has a medieval work to trade. 7 civs, all willing to trade only their work that happen to be from the same era. Sometimes I have to wait until modern for a theming option to become available, other games I'll finish before an option becomes available.

I find it to be one of the more annoying aspects of the game, digging through lists of art trying to find one that you need, but it can be worth it.

I find it to be one of the more annoying aspects of the game, digging through lists of art trying to find one that you need, but it can be worth it.
Just mouse-over the wonder on your tourism screen and it will tell you what you need.

Top Bottom