trading tips...

t3h_m013

Prince
im playing as the english on mnarch (first monarch game) and i got music theory first (first tech ive got first in a long time) and so im gonna trade it to every civ. ive had offers of 1-2 techs with luxuries from everyone.
but...
im not sure who to trade with first, as in a previous game i did this and lots of the offers went down dramatically. should one trade with the big civs first or the small civs?

The reason the price goes down is because then you are not the only one offering it anymore.
A tech is valued double in trade if there is only one person offering it. Other civs may have the tech, but if they have no contact with the one you are offering it to, for them you are still the only one offering, so you get double value.

Thus, you could check if there are civ's that do not have contact with eachother and trade it to those first.

-Check if there is any civ who offers tech(s), the other civs do not yet have. These you can trade on to the other civ's after trading them for yourself. This is the most important thing when deciding who to trade to.

-Check if there are 2 civs you can rip off as explained above.

-Check what civ has the most expensive tech to offer. the cheaper ones you most likely can also get when the price is halved, the more expensive ones maybe not (that espescially includes techs on wich the AI has monopoly, but also simply their relative value)

By selling again the techs you get from them in trade, you should be able to get all available techs in one turn after being the first to discover a new tech, even if you are several techs behind. It is important you do this all in 1 turn, else they will trade amongst eachother.
When in the end, you sold a tech to multiple civ's but not all, do not hesitate to sell it to those last ones as well, even if it will be for a low price. If you dont do it, another AI will do it. They will get it within few turns anyway.

Try getting gold per turn payments from them. I like gold per turns a lot more than just gold, because it also slows them down in their research, even if they have 1000's in the bank. If you manage to get gold per turn from most civs, not only do you have a nice income for yourself, you are also slowing down the general tech pace, enlarging your chances of getting more first researches.

If yuo now get some gold per turn payments with your tradings and still an AI is the first to research another tech, it is a very good option to buy that tech from him for gold per turn. You can then sell it to all other civs for gold per turn.
This is THE strat that enables people to win deity / sid games. It requires you to check the diplomacy every turn though. if you wait 1 or 2 turns after an AI has gotten a tech, chances he sold it to all other AI's grow from possible to most likely. (thus disabling you to sell it to them)
Sometimes though, it is wise to wait a bit until he sold it to only 1 other AI for then he wont be the only one offering it to you, thus halving the cost for you. This is best done if you know he is at war with many civ's and thus you can be sure that while you wait for him to sell it, he wont sell it to everyone immeadiately.

Finally, never give in to AI's trade initiativs. If you do trade in their turn, they can pass the tech you pay them on to every other civ in their turn as well. So only trade during your turn.

hmmmm k. will try it out. have saved it before doing anything, may use a trial run type thing. i think everyone knows everyone.
thank you very much

Sometimes you can make more, overall, by trading techs with poorer civs first and then trade for gpt with the wealthy civs. Civs that need a cascade wonder will trade well for this tech.

im not sure what i did in the end, i got a few techs a luxury and some gold, not much.
I was too far behind everyone to trade for a tech, then trade that tech off.

Really helps to know the value of the techs so you can work out what you are getting.

Check who is prepared to pay GPT, and how much. Usually only one or two will pay GPT, so if you can get techs from those without cash (and its as good a deal as getting the cash), then take the tech from those that wont pay gold, and then you can at least get some gold from the others.

Music Theory may not be so dearly sought-after. If you were to trade them something a bit jucier, they'd gang up begging you to trade.

You need to learn what techs the ai does not research as a first priority and also value highly. Usually a person not far behind the tech leaders can for example learn Printing press prior to the AI's and get good trades from it, then use those trades to rush to Democracy. As a government tech it is very highly valued even after the first trades are done and will make you a clear leader with multiple tech and gpt deals highly probable. Because they concentrate on advancing towards Military Tradition, it is very likely you can get first to Democracy and it will get you far more benefits than Music Theory ( you will do trades about 4 times better if they have the cash and techs available)

You might think twice about selling Music Theory. I frequently like to research it and hold it so I can get a huge head start on what is imo the best wonder of the game: Bach's Cathedral. Bach's is frequently the first wonder of the game that I try to build - indeed, MT is frequently the first tech that I research myself. On the other hand, with that in one of your cities, your people are happy and productive -> higher score and better economy. Just a thought...

@ IbnSina: I rarely care for that wonder - I build it when I have nothing better to do. As it is, I rarely research Music Theory at all.

i really like music theory, but as all the AI where somewhere between 2 and 5 techs ahead (they all traded between each other so were equal wheras i was behind i thought trading it would be more useful than the wonder.
i would of researched something else, but they all had at least 1 tech ahead of me on each line i.e. i along top (printing press democrasy) 1 ahead middle (astronamy etc.) and 1 along bottom (chemistry) so i would of had to catch up and then out research them. which wasnt going to happen.

However, i am still behind in early IA but i am the biggest civ, now have a decent military (i was very poor before) and am in good shape to win my first monarch game with diplomacy or space race.

Top Bottom