Trading w/ other Civs

Hector Achilles

Warlord
What is needed to be able to trade with foreign civs on other continents? I am alone on my own continent and can only trade with the few city states I have on my continent. I am in 1005 AD and have met ALL the other civs. Since I have met them and even have an alliance with one of them, why can I not trade with any of them?
Thanks.

trade units cannot move into water, or out of water, unless there's a harbor or or city on the coast

I actually have a few harbors completed and 6 or 7 cities on the coast. I even have a few markets, which I believe you would need instead of or an addition to a harbor for inland trading,....which in my scenario is irrelevant because I'm the only civ on my continent, but just wanted to point it out. Any other suggestions? Do the other civs need harbors too? Maybe they have not built harbors and that could be the problem?

You also need map revealed enough to provide a path to get to the other civs. In my current game I made an economic alliance with England, but didn’t yet have the map revealed enough to use it.

They might be out of reach for your trader units. Can it be that none of the known AI coastal cities is within 30 tiles of one of your coastal city, counting uncovered visible tiles? They do not have coastal cities? They have harbours, but inland cities are still out of reach?
Trader must have an entry point to the AI landmass - a coastal city or a harbour. If none of these are present, the continent is closed for overseas trade. Just one coastal AI city or a city state within range will do to open it up, once the first route completes and trading post is created, the range extends from there.

They might be out of reach for your trader units. Can it be that none of the known AI coastal cities is within 30 tiles of one of your coastal city, counting uncovered visible tiles? They do not have coastal cities? They have harbours, but inland cities are still out of reach?
Trader must have an entry point to the AI landmass - a coastal city or a harbour. If none of these are present, the continent is closed for overseas trade. Just one coastal AI city or a city state within range will do to open it up, once the first route completes and trading post is created, the range extends from there.

I have explored the entire other continent,...all fog of war (not sure if that is what you call it) is lifted and all other civs have been exposed/met. I have probably sent over 40+ missionaries to convert them to my religion as well, so they too have exposed all the land. I have knights and musketmen over there now occupying land, and again I am consistently sending over missionaries so they have no problem accessing the land. There are many different parts of the continent that I am accessing the land as well, not just one spot. Some have coastal cities, but not sure if they all do, but some civs do. Again, I do not know if any of them have established harbours. As for the distance, I believe the only other continent on the map is certainly w/in 30 tiles. it's the ONLY other land mass on the map, I would think I would be able to trade with them. I guess I'll just keep playing the game and see if the trading opens up. I'd hope it would, this is restricting me from generating larger amounts of gold.

is certainly w/in 30 tiles
25 tiles for a water trade route and that 25 tiles cannot pass through fog.
The only other limit beyond what has been mentioned is you cannot be at war to trade.
And yes, this distance will be severely limiting your potential gold unless you have a well developed commercial CS locally.
If going for a CV this lack of trade routes will be severely limiting you.

I have explored the entire other continent,...all fog of war (not sure if that is what you call it) is lifted and all other civs have been exposed/met. I have probably sent over 40+ missionaries to convert them to my religion as well, so they too have exposed all the land. I have knights and musketmen over there now occupying land, and again I am consistently sending over missionaries so they have no problem accessing the land. There are many different parts of the continent that I am accessing the land as well, not just one spot. Some have coastal cities, but not sure if they all do, but some civs do. Again, I do not know if any of them have established harbours. As for the distance, I believe the only other continent on the map is certainly w/in 30 tiles. it's the ONLY other land mass on the map, I would think I would be able to trade with them. I guess I'll just keep playing the game and see if the trading opens up. I'd hope it would, this is restricting me from generating larger amounts of gold.

Well, in most cases one look into a save can save a thousand words of description. Can you upload one to have a glance at? Also, running any mods?

25 tiles for a water trade route and that 25 tiles cannot pass through fog.
The only other limit beyond what has been mentioned is you cannot be at war to trade.
And yes, this distance will be severely limiting your potential gold unless you have a well developed commercial CS locally.
If going for a CV this lack of trade routes will be severely limiting you.

Well, the water has "fog" ....Like I've I said, I have sent many troops and missionaries over which only clears the fog as they go through. After they pass the fog returns. Maybe I need to leave ships in the ocean to make a waterway/clear path? I can do that, I have 20 or so ships. I'll give that a try.

No need I meant undiscovered fog.. or parchment. Once been through it should be fine.
City to city is how many tiles apart? The source and target need to be on coast or have a harbor

Okay, thank you for clarifying. I know one of the civs, Sweden, has a coastal city. So, I'll count the tiles from my coastal city to theirs. I'm guessing it must be more than 25 tiles....must be the reason as to why I can't trade with anyone.

Would it be possible to found a few new coastal cities on the other continent and "gift" the cities to the other civs so I could trade with them? I've done the domination victory a lot (want to try another victory method) so I'm not planning on starting a war or wiping out any of the other civs on the other continent, so I wouldn't mind giving away a few cities I created. The reason I ask is because part of the continent reaches much farther east than the other part of it....definitely less than 25 tiles.

Would it be possible to found a few new coastal cities on the other continent and "gift" the cities to the other civs so I could trade with them?
Gift? Try selling first... or you could just trade from your founded city, it only takes a turn to move traders there.
The likely issues with that though are the city will probably flip and you get more money going over water.

Top Bottom