1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Trading with other players

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Vindicator7, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

I'm playing a multiplayer game with a friend and I can't trade resources with him. I can trade techs, and we have open borders, but we can't trade resources.

I can trade with other computer players on my same continent.

Also, he is on a different continent and I haven't developed any trade routes with him, are they just random?

2. Col.BBQ

Col.BBQ Chieftain

I think you need a direct route between two harbors with either a direct path along coast or Optic technology.

3. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

Yea you need to first find his borders and then be able to have trade routes with him. If he is accross an ocean you need to have the tech that allows trade routes accross ocean squares.

4. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

I researched Optics and sent a caravel over to his continent with a missionary to initially open up dialogue with him, before that I had not contacted him. I also traded him Optics, so we both have that tech. We also both have harbors in our cities, still no trade routes and we can't trade resources.

Any other ideas?

5. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

I thought the capitals had to be connected...do you have roads from your harbor cities to your respective capitals?

6. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

My capital is on the coast with a harbor, so that is taken care of. I'm pretty sure his coastal cities are connected to his capital, if not all of them at least one is.

I really care more about the trading of resources then the trade routes, because I am playing as the Russians and have no horses and he has 2.

7. ZippyRiver

ZippyRiver Prince

ANY? other ideas? ok.

Do your resources have the necessary improvements on them? (j/k)

I am wondering if your trynig to trade a resource you only have one of for one that he only has one of. If you initiate the trade, you CAN select one of your single resources, but can not select one of his single resources to trade yours for. That is the way it is in SP. I have not played MP so not sure if it is handled differently.

crosspost edit. perhaps he could gift you the horses?

8. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

ZippyRiver,
    Yeah, at first I thought it wasn't showing up because maybe we both had the same resources as each other, but that isn't the case because I know he has horses and dyes and I don't have either of them. Also, None of his or my resources even show up on the diplo screen. I am pretty sure the option for "Resources" is there but there is no sub menu listing the resources.

I can trade with all of the AI players on my same continent but not him. There is another AI opponent on his continent that I can't trade with but I figure that is because he won't establish open borders with me.

9. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

Sounds like he's missing a tech- is there a tech tied to resource trading? I can't remember off the top of my head.

10. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

I don't think there is. Also, we have the same techs because we traded/gifted them to each other.

11. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

Sorry for calling up a old thread, but I didn't want to start a new one.

Updating the situation: We found out that we both needed to discover a city of the other players to begin having trade routes. Before I was the only one that was exploring, he hadn't build a caravel yet.

But we still have the problem of not being able to trade resources. The option isn't even there. The only thing I can think of, is maybe we need to both discover each others capitals, but I recall in games against the computer that I could trade with them and I hadn't explored any of their territory.

Any ideas?

Again, we have all the techs, I am way passed alphabet, optics, etc.

12. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

Do you have a civic enabled that disallows foreign trading?

13. Renata

Renata homicidal jungle cat GOTM Staff

Which version are you playing? I thought there was a bug like this in 1.00. But I could be wrong.

14. Vindicator7

Vindicator7 Chieftain

I didn't have Mercantilism enabled, and I am playing with the patched version (1.09 I beleive).

We figured out the problem. We needed to have Astronomy researched to connect our harbors over ocean squares. Once I researched that I was able to have trade routes as well as trade resources with him.

Thanks for the help.

15. nemo2

nemo2 Chieftain

I don't have the ref manual with me but I believe you both need astronmony to establish trade routes over sea tiles.