1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tradition's 4 cities opening

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tabarnak, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

There is a variant with 3 cities NC(4th one after NC just in time when Tradition is completed for a fast boost) that you can use and then claim only 1x500 :c5gold: for a settler instead of 2.

I really like a 2 scouts opener when playing pangea types of map. The extra scout can gain more :c5gold: from earlier civs and cs encountered letting you a better chance to rush buy an extra settler or worker if you think that you have time for a 4th city pre-NC. Of course you can always build 2 from your own if your capital is very productive!

There is nothing pre built. Some maps offer better chances to put 4 cities right away and sometimes you should stick with only 2 before tempting anything else more ''flashy''.

2. atarihuana

atarihuana Warlord

id thought id share this start

Korea, Continents, Emperor
    Large(-1AI ,-1CS), Epic, No Ruins

Spoiler :

it is a perfect practise map for a 4 city opening, i doubt it can get any better. hf!

i wanna see a sub 200 SVC :p

Attached Files:

3. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

On epic? :D

4. atarihuana

atarihuana Warlord

otherwise it wouldnt be a challenge now would it :p 2wheat 1, deer.... desert river hill start,( not alot of hills but plains so after pottery, writing you research what? exactly!).... just explore a little and have a good laugh :p i dont wont to post a screen because i'd like to see where people settle their cities in a 4 Trad openr, if anyone wants the troubles of epic that is :p or the lameness of emperor ;) ps. with this start on emporor, GL as korea just rocks ( yes i know i know im contradicting myself ;))

5. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Challenge should be realistic. Hard but possible to complete. I'm not epic expert, HoF player will provide more reliable info on this, but roughly 200 epic = ~133 standard. Not very realistic even for HoF level map.
    Btw, maybe a separate thread? It might attract more people.

6. atarihuana

atarihuana Warlord

if Tabarnak is kind enough to link the savefile post to the opening post it should be more than enough

maybe something in the 250 region is more realistic, you dont get to exploit the AI economy on emperor as you can on immortal/deity

7. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

This is a poor map for a fast Science Victory if your benchmark is Standard map size at Standard speed. In addition to the 1.5 Epic multipler (which is not consistently applied across the game, by the way), research costs on Huge maps are increased to 130% of the Civilopedia values (as compared to 110% for Standard). So on a Huge map, every tech costs 18% more (130/110) than on a standard sized map, so finish times should be 18% slower (before accounting for game speed).

Also, this map doesn't work well with the 4-city opener, which assumes the AI and CSs are located in reasonable scouting range. Huge maps create a lot of space between civs (Huge maps are 146% larger than Standard maps, but contain only 50% more civs and CSs); space slows down this strategy. Also, by eliminating ruins, you've eliminated a significant source of gold in the early game (the strategy assumes the AI will get most of the gold ruins, giving the AI gold to make loans and buy luxuries and strategics).

9. atarihuana

atarihuana Warlord

ah thx, i was unaware of the increased research cost. one more reason for me to play epic. the time scales of unit movement vs research/construction/growth are too cumbersome for my liking on standard.

i still do like this map for a 4 city opening but thats obviously a personal taste ( its not the 4 city opening Tabarnak was talking about obviously scince you cant rushbuy stuff easly and have to hard build it from scratch

10. tommynt

tommynt Emperor

Best challanges are the ones you done yourself to give to other - d be great if deity challanges were like: I won t199 - no go see if u can be faster.

11. atarihuana

atarihuana Warlord

well it was more of a joke than a real challange ;)

12. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Not everybody is as competitive and ego driven as you are. :)

13. Tchuli

Tchuli Chieftain

This is a great start!!
    Tested for the first time today on Immortal (I've only beaten Immortal once with the Celts) with Ethiopia.
    Surrounded by China (who backstabbed me in the beggining of the game) and Austria (who backstabbed me while I was in war with China).
    Each one of them in one side of my territory and I was still able to hold them off (Austria even had to give me all their money and luxuries at the end of the war)...

LOVED IT!

Thank you very much!!!

14. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Glad you liked it :)

Have you been able to build 4 cities before NC and resist at the same time 1 or 2 early wars?

The OP is based from a pre big patch that changed things a bit(AI spend his money more aggressively since then). I find a 3 cities approach more potentially good for some maps because there is some extra difficulties to get money in time for a 4th settler(and probably an extra worker too) and the AI can build an early army a bit faster(for the reason mentionned) but maybe it's just about the map too. If you can find a lot of traders and cs before the turn 30 there is a lot of possibilities too...

I don't play much singleplayer since that patch and didn't revisit this strategy with a high attention. But the purpose of this strat is also to let players determine what is good or not and modify what they can do to get the best start possible.

I hate strategies with too much details! :lol:

15. Cromat

Cromat Warlord

Ever since I started playing Civ5 I have always gone for Liberty. The free Worker, Settler and Great Person seemed too good.

After reading this guide I wanted to try it out. I had my first victory on Emperor with the Arabs. With 4 strong cities I was leading pretty much the entire game. I built Petra and a few other wonders, puppeted most of Washington's cities and after that it was a smooth sail into victory (Domination).

Thanks for this!

16. Maxym

Maxym King

Now that you see it working, try it with someone not a OP as Arabs ;)

17. Cromat

Cromat Warlord

Haha yeah. I knew they were good but I guess I didn't appreciate them fully.

18. Maxym

Maxym King

Me neither until I played DC 8, not a lot of civs can stand up to five teamed deity AIs.

19. Ihatevry1

Ihatevry1 Chieftain

haha tabarnak i love the name. go bruins!

20. guinsoo

guinsoo Warlord

Tabarnak, what do you see as the advantages of building 1, 2, 3, or 4 cities before NC? Lately I have nestled into a routine of usually building no cities before NC, or 1 if there's a desirable Natural Wonder nearby. I usually can get NC up before turn 60, and have at least a total of 4 cities settled by turn 70-75. Now, my build has been working pretty well for me (fastest win is 226 on immortal, few wins in the 230s). But one thing that I think is holding me back from faster wins is my population, my core cities never seem to grow quite as big as I'd like. (Ofc, I don't play like tommynt, I don't like constant war and I usually don't like taking AI cities unless they really pissed me off). If I switched to a 3 city before NC setup, I'd end up with a little more population earlier, but it would certainly slow me down (I usually rush buy the library in the 2nd city), needing both an extra city and library.

How do you feel 1-2 NC vs 3 NC lines up in terms of turns to education versus total end game population? Am I losing out on a lot of turns late game by not growing as big as I need to? Or am I not really losing much because I'm getting to education earlier?