1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Tradition's 4 cities opening

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Tabarnak, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Here's a link to Tabarnak's 3-city opener: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=502837

2. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Hence why I dont play on deity.

3. Ludwitch

Ludwitch Chieftain

I tried to get a deity victory by cheesing multiple times. It never worked. Then I tried this strategy and actually managed to win a straight up science victory. The AI would have crushed my military but did not seem to be in the mood. Great Guide!

4. ruyen

ruyen Chieftain

Hey Tabarnak, et al
    Just got the game recently and only have vanilla. Wondering if you can describe the Social Policy order you would take (and any other changes to the strat) in current-day vanilla. I'm not locked into which Civ to play, but currently trying Amurka for the first time, and it's been suggested to go full Honor with them. I don't really see that strat working with this one here, which would be more Liberty I'd guess. Also wondering if simply opening Tradition is the best all-around start, mainly due to the tile-spread, since my subsequent settlements are usually placed to cøckblock other Civs.

5. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Liberty is still the way to go in vanilla. By a large margin. But if you wanna stick with Trads for some games, then you should maybe start with the NC before settling more cities.

6. ruyen

ruyen Chieftain

Gotcha. So get the NC before dropping the 2nd city if you go into Trad? I've also read about using Legalism to get 4 temples after building libraries in all 4, but that seems like a mid-game goal almost.

Anyway, how else would you tweak your strat for vanilla (w/o traders, shrines, compound bowmen, etc..)?

7. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Legalism is pretty good to catch free amphitheaters where they provide +3 cpt but you better open free settler form Liberty before going into Tradition and work as same as a REX opening. Pretty nice opening with Siam and Egypt.

In other words :

Liberty--->free settler--->more settlers--->Tradition--->Legalism(free amphis).

8. ruyen

ruyen Chieftain

Temples in vanilla, yeah?

Thanks for the tips Tab. :)

9. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Yeah...been a while i played vanilla :)

Forgot to say that about Siam, you need to build monuments and temples if you want to get instant wats from legalism. Then maybe you should go further into Liberty before moving to Tradition since that Education is deeper into the tech tree.

10. MPoxon

MPoxon Chieftain

I am new to this forum but have being playing Civ5 for a while. I just wanted to say thank you to Tabarnak for this excellent guide. I had never considered the tall approach using the tradition tree but after watching your video and trying it for myself it works really well and has taught me about how to manage citizens which I did not know about before. I am now able to win a culture victory on Immortal whereas I the best I managed for culture before was King.