Traditions of your fathers...what should you teach your kid?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by downtown, Apr 6, 2012.

?

What would be okay to try and pass along to your child?

1. Religious traditions

44.1%
  2. Ethnic traditions

58.8%
  3. Political opinions

48.5%
  4. Musical or otherwise artistic tastes

70.6%
  5. Sports team affiliation

66.2%
  6. Other ideas

60.3%
  7. Moot, I will never ever procreate

27.9%
  8. The idea that their father has an internet fanclub of 14 year olds.

38.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

So most of my extended family (and a lot of my friends/coworkers) have been pestering me about when I'm going to have kids (this behavior is usually met with an angry death stare). While having children is not on my immediate agenda, it has caused me to think about the kinds of things to teach my children.

I'm curious, what do you think are appropriate things to pass down?

Me and Mrs.DT are planning on raising our children in our own religion. I imagine many of you would argue that this is inappropriate. Is attempting to raise a child in the faith tradition of their parents acceptable?

What about matters of personal taste? Do I expose them to my music, or let their peers take the lead in tastemaking? I actually developed most of my musical tastes from my old man (and chose to summarily ignore his taste in art or film, because it was dumb).

What about sports teams? I'm an Ohio State graduate and grew up supporting mostly Ohio teams. Mrs.DT is from Chicago, and supports mostly Chicago area teams, and BYU (gross). Parents *do* have a major role in helping shape sports loyalty...do you try the dad's teams, the mom's, or the local ones? I mean, if I move to say, Denver, do I raise my kids as Broncos fans? I'm not sure i'm okay with that.

What are some other examples of things that could, or could not, be passed down? What are your thoughts?

2. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I’m most thankful for my parents instilling within me respect, courtesy, manners, and intellectual curiosity. I think the importance of those attributes outweighs most of the items you listed.

That said, you absolutely must expose your children to the music you like, as long as it isn't Top 40 Pop. This is critical; without it they will not learn to understand music and wouldn't be able to know what music they can play loudly to bother you as teenagers.

3. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I cannot abide the notion of siring a child who grows up a fan of Boston sports.

Or New York sports.

Or the damn dirty Falcons.

Everything else is trivial compared to that.

4. downtown

I figured this obviously went without saying, so I didn't include it. That should not be controversial.

5. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

An appreciation for the arts, no matter what outlet that comes in.

Other than that, the knowledge that they can pick whatever they want from the rest. I don't buy the idea that my child is to be raised in my image.

6. Arwon

Arwon

Any child of mine grows up not supporting the Sydney Swans, I consider myself a failure.

7. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Critical thinking and tolerance.

8. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

It's acceptable to pass on any of these, and most people probably do. However, whether your personal beliefs say that you should is up to you.

9. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

All are acceptable depending on what you mean by try. If it is: make these things known to them, express your preference, practice your religion expect them to participate at least until a certain age, fine. Everyone does that. Once you have children you may realize (no u WILL realize that there are many more important and pressing concerns). They have needs, they are independent and different individuals. Dealing with social, emotional, and intellectual development, providing love support etc. to make them happy and emotionally well adjusted people will be significantly more important than music or sports preferences. Non parents have no conception of what they are in for ;).

10. downtown

Of course. references to sports and music are really with my tongue firmly in cheek.

But still, i have to be prepared for the fact that there will be outside influences that will tell my future children that rooting for the Yankees is okay, and I have to be ready for that.

11. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

Actually while these things are not "important" in the larger scheme of things they are not worthless. My family are all Packers fans as I and a large chunk of the family are from Wisconsin. It is a great bonding experience. We wear Packer stuff, watch games together, trash talk other teams etc. (and I have girls!). One thing about families is they develop traditions that bring them together and create a close atmosphere and this can be holiday, religious, sports, anything really.

12. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I will shape my children in my image.

13. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

My children will share my religious views as the most important thing I will be teaching them.

No child of mine will ever support Liverpool, Chelsea, or Man City. Neither will they be allowed to support San Antonio Spurs. Any child of mine who listens to rap will get a wrap on the knuckles for doing so.

14. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Do you have a particular hatred of "boring"?

15. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

It's easy to get the impression that no-one has actually brought up anyone yet.....

16. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

Just sports. Political and religious traditions should be beyond your control, and pretty much everything else is beyond your control.

17. MjM

MjM Deity

18. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Sports teams? Please.

I didn't realize it was a multiple choice poll, that's okay. Since I voted I will never procreate, it would be silly to vote the other options.

Although sometimes I think about having kids. But the idea terrifies me. If I did have kids I wouldn't teach them silly things like sports or religion. The only thing I would do is love my kid. Because I was never loved growing up, and it had a profound effect on me. Not loving your kid (and actually telling them you love them) is one of the worst things you can do to a kid. Never once did my parents tell me they loved me. If I had a kid, I would not repeat those same mistakes.

I would also teach him (or her) my ethical code. I would teach them sports (my parents never taught me sports or anything for that matter) only because I think it would make them tougher. I would want my kid to be smart, but I also don't want him to be picked on.

Okay I'll stop now, my post almost makes it look like I want kids.

19. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

I'm not going to 'teach' them my traditions, but I'll will show them the traditions I follow

I'm not religious, so there won't be much of that, and I don't really follow any big 'ethnical' traditions, but what there is the will see first hand....sooner or later, they will (since they live in the same house) subjected to my tastes in music, movies and art, whether they like it or not :)

and they might hear me yell when my favourite team scores, etc....

20. Mark1031

Mark1031 Deity

THis. Seems so obvious and natural but you can sometimes forget the importance in the mayhem that is a family. Kids will suck you dry emotionally, physically, financially, they are unfair and demanding and selfish and cruel (you must try not to be) but also frightened, confused, insecure, and totally dependent on you for everything and they pick up on every word and emotion that you display. They go through many stages and you just have to roll with the punches.

Don’t ever read a parenting book, they are the biggest sack of crap I have ever seen. Love them first, keep that in the front of your mind at all times and then do what feels correct from there, that is the only advice I would give.